Sign in to follow this  
guitarxe

How good is the AI?

hmmmm, just have to share this, even though it's from armed assault ;)

my best ever ai experience :

There were a few of us on the server ( around 7-8 ), and we were trying to loure a bmp into an ambush in a town , and had been engaging the enemies in town for a good 15-20 minutes allready.

I hear footsteps behind me, some fiddeling, and i think it's just one of my team mates coming up to aid me, but i didn't get any voice com, so afther a couple of seconds, i turn around, and sees the back of an enemy rounding the far corner, running away.

got realy wtf??, the boooom, he blew up the stachell he planted at my feets :P

You realy can't beat that now, can you?

Hmm. I find friendly AI (your squad mates) to be the biggest issue with A2/OA. They are just tremendously lacking. Becoming stuck, walking into fire, terribly inaccuarte with shots (especially so if enemy elevation is slightly above or below them).

I find enemy AI to be better on average than my fellow squad AI. I am constantly having to micro manage them at all times....and even then having to put them on "hold" fire because they will run out of ammo with their terrible accuracy level at times (this is with using both Zeus and standard/default).

I agree that as an enemy the AI can be impressive. I'm fooling around in the editor and have set up some moderately complex battles. Between the friendly AI doing very odd things that accidently turn out well and the enemy AI being moderately sneaky and moderately aggressive I've had some good battles lately.

I find the AI can be great, but sometimes do dumb things. Like standing about doing shit all during a firefight 'cause you've not told them to go danger or whatever. But then, sometimes they amaze you.

Its a mixed bag AI is.

If he's in your squad or in a vehicle, you'll swear he's the stupidest being to walk the earth. But with a whole squad of AI working together, friend or foe, you're going to get upstaged with some regularity. And they almost always play fair, contrary to popular belief.

To answer your more specific question, the AI doesn't have the self preservation to be pinned by incoming fire, but can be suppressed semi-effectively because of the accuracy penalties they suffer from it. The AI will shoot at people who are out of sight behind cover or even shoot randomly in a sniper's general direction.

Yeah, If they're near you, you will be sure he is the most stupid thing you've ever seen in your entire life, but put a platoon down, then a enemy one down. And watch the magic. :)

But, sometimes, yeah. They can be a *bit* dumb, I've seen better, but i've seen worse. Can't argue with the fact its a large enviroment they're fighting with. My CPU (Pentium4) don't help either for me :D

Edited by Ben_S

Remember that due to different hardware (CPU) the AI can behave differently. If the AI get more CPU they act smarter and faster, this is something BIS told us and thats why they have dedicated one core for AI calculations (sorry, cant be bothered to find that post in whatever thread). So if one claims the AI is very smart and another think they are slow dumbnuts both are probably right. Depends on skill to command AI and CPU.