Sign in to follow this  
Draper

RUM Assets

Taro8 - I did some testing about plane engaging targets and I found something that will help you. The thing about CAP is that plane would still engage ground targets, with would turn CAP into CAS. However I might have found a way to prevent engaging ground units.

1st test: an APC and helicopter as targets, with F-35 simply spawned and told to the target area.

Result: F-35 iced the helo pretty much right away and then strafed the APC

2nd test: same targets, but I made F-35 spawn at 1500m above sea level and had flyinheight 1500 command

Result: F-35 fragged the helo, but DID NOT engage APC and then loitered around the waypoint.

Problem: F-35 used both AA missiles against the helo leaving it without ammo for further engagements

Possible Solution: a script resetting ammo to 1 few times in one CAP. This could be incorporated into script telling the plane to return to base after script resets it's ammo to 1 X times.

3rd test: same targets, A-10 at 1500m

Result: A-10 destroyed the helo and then went to about 100 meters to engage the APC. This means that A-10 isnt the best plane for air superiority mission.

4th test: this time its a tank and 2 helos, F-35 is an attacker, at 1500m.

Result: F-35 used both AA missiles against one helo and then tried to strife the other one, but it got shot by the tank MG, pilot died and plane crashed (yeah... thats Arma 2 alright ).

Problem: Not enough AA missiles for F-35 to properly carry out the CAS. F-35 uses up missiles to fast on single target (one missile causes helo to crashland, another makes it explode in the air), I think that 5 to 10 seconds delay in resetting the ammo will be enough for pilot to switch to other target.

I think that its safe to say that if plane is told to fly at high enough attitude (1500, but I think that 2000 or more would do as well) it wont be as willing to engage ground targets. However Arma 2 planes have very low amount of air-to-air missiles (2, seriously an F-22 in full AA load can carry something around 20) with prevents them from carrying out CAP successfully, with means that a script resetting their AA missiles would be needed.

BTW: According to wikipedia F-35 can carry 10 AA missiles in full Air-to-air configuration. This means that ammo reset script would need to run 5 times on this one.

great find on the CAS/CAP information... will keep that in mind when looking at the options again. :)

Love the script, however i'm having an issue with the Transport helos. After they RTB, 9times outta ten when i try to recall them i get "helo still in flight"

I noticed that the aircraft returning this message, the pilot has jumped out. How can I fix this?

This issue has been resolved in the next release... the next release is in testing right now and will be out very soon...

-VRCRaptor

Edited by VRCRaptor

Ok I did some more testing on aircraft engagements and here is some more info:

I used F-16 addon with plane in CAP configuration (10 AA missiles). With more missiles CAP is much more effective, from 1500m F-16 took out a Hind, Frogfoot, Su-34, Mi-8, but pilot descended from 1500m to about 100 to attack remaining APC.

I noticed one thing: plane flying at 1500m does NOT trigger waypoints. I tried resetting attitude to 1500m with each waypoint, but since plane did not trigger it, the on activation command couldnt run. I team-switched to pilot and succsefully triggered a waypoint from about 300m, successfully resetting my attitude to 1500m.

Hmm, maybe during CAP a script that would reset attitude to 1500m every 15s or so would be needed.

great find on the CAS/CAP information... will keep that in mind when looking at the options again. :)

This issue has been resolved in the next release... the next release is in testing right now and will be out very soon...

-VRCRaptor

Wicked, thanks!

Also I was wondering if it would be possible to add the C130 to the Transport aircraft, of course I can only see it being available for insertion Para, and not available using the spawn functions. I just think it'd be wicked, especially considering I run a parachute unit ;)

Cheers,

Ok I did some more testing on aircraft engagements and here is some more info:

I used F-16 addon with plane in CAP configuration (10 AA missiles). With more missiles CAP is much more effective, from 1500m F-16 took out a Hind, Frogfoot, Su-34, Mi-8, but pilot descended from 1500m to about 100 to attack remaining APC.

I noticed one thing: plane flying at 1500m does NOT trigger waypoints. I tried resetting attitude to 1500m with each waypoint, but since plane did not trigger it, the on activation command couldnt run. I team-switched to pilot and succsefully triggered a waypoint from about 300m, successfully resetting my attitude to 1500m.

Hmm, maybe during CAP a script that would reset attitude to 1500m every 15s or so would be needed.

Again, great information... we are probably set for a release later this week pending some code clean up and stuff... be on the look out... would definately like to have some more feedback from the community on the next version of RUM... keep a watchful eye ;)

Wicked, thanks!

Also I was wondering if it would be possible to add the C130 to the Transport aircraft, of course I can only see it being available for insertion Para, and not available using the spawn functions. I just think it'd be wicked, especially considering I run a parachute unit ;)

Cheers,

The c-130 idea is actually working on a version I have at the moment, I dont know if it is ready for a complete release at this time due to some bugs but would be something that can be statically placed and then make it a trip to the drop zone or possibly the spawn version of the same idea. I love to Halo and Para drop myself and as well as my team... usually the best way to get a solid insertion to the AO. will most likely be released as a hot fix or small addition to the coming version though shortly after release... great idea though.

Keep up the support guys... we have alot on the RUM plate and plan on knocking it out in preperation for A3 in the real near future. If you hav emore idea's or thoughts on improvements, please keep them coming.

Edited by VRCRaptor

One thing though: make better documentation of features. Also a simpler demo would be nice. Currently I have problems scaling down the support, removing planes and helos breaks the script (I only want 2 planes and 2 attack helicopters + 1 transport).

:) should be better, may not be any easier... just make sure that there is a comma at the end of each plane or helo line except the last... I am working on a couple of additional example missions as well to hopefully demo it out for each RUM type, static and spawn or mixed... as well as a LHD example too. Hope this helps...

was planning on maybe a detailed manual with examples out with this release or at least a start of one, but time is major factor lately (the setting files will have more documentation though for new features and hopefully clearing up some of the older ones as well...

it just seems like you either have time and no way of doing anything or the otherway around... sometimes the planets have to align to make everything nice.

-VRCRaptor

Edited by VRCRaptor

Sounds cool! My group doesn't HALO we do static line jumps. Happy to hear the news though. Can't wait for the update! This script means I don't have to recruit pilots, they are such divas :|

Reference C-130 bugs, my group could help test if ya like.

I did some reading up on basic mission types in air force and here's an idea: separate Fighter Sweep from CAP. In fighter sweep supporting plane simply flies by, pwns what boogies it can find and goes back to base. In CAP the plane loiters around the designated area, for a long time, engaging any hostiles air vehicles it finds.

With ACE and ASR AI, the AI pilots can pwn enemy planes and helos from huge distance. In my testings pilots fired on helos hovering over Utes runway, while attacking plane was at 1500m flying at the southern edge of map. That's like what? 8 to 10km?. So in Fighter Sweep mission you only would need to tell the plane to take off, climb at high attitude and then fly somewhere in general vicinity of target area, AI should take care of the rest.

This way it will be possible to prevent planes engaging to many hostiles spoiling the fun.

Sorry guys for the delay in getting back with your responses.. RL took over for a few days... :(

Sounds cool! My group doesn't HALO we do static line jumps. Happy to hear the news though. Can't wait for the update! This script means I don't have to recruit pilots, they are such divas :|

Definately has advantages when you are able to get your entire squad involved without leaving someone behind to just fly... :)

Reference C-130 bugs, my group could help test if ya like.

Send me a PM, Draper and myself will keep that in mind for the next version and/or updates...

I did some reading up on basic mission types in air force and here's an idea: separate Fighter Sweep from CAP. In fighter sweep supporting plane simply flies by, pwns what boogies it can find and goes back to base. In CAP the plane loiters around the designated area, for a long time, engaging any hostiles air vehicles it finds.

With ACE and ASR AI, the AI pilots can pwn enemy planes and helos from huge distance. In my testings pilots fired on helos hovering over Utes runway, while attacking plane was at 1500m flying at the southern edge of map. That's like what? 8 to 10km?. So in Fighter Sweep mission you only would need to tell the plane to take off, climb at high attitude and then fly somewhere in general vicinity of target area, AI should take care of the rest.

This way it will be possible to prevent planes engaging to many hostiles spoiling the fun.

Sheer map size and BVR engagment can kill ambience at times... having a CAS mission select for loitering and maybe program the CAP setting to be a two pass system would allow for more ambient combat. Now when Arma 3 comes out and then its more like we would need a stationed CAP support in the area... map size would be better suited for BVR at this point...

-VRCRaptor

Hmm... so the two pass system would be a Fighter Sweep pretty much.

When talking about CAP in Arma 2 Im thinking about ordering a plane to be stationed above your AO, so you will not get any nasty surprise Hind, that AI could pull out of it's ass. This way you are covered as far as enemy air force is concerned, leaving you with more options how to deal with ground forces.

While Fighter Sweep is something you call in when you already have problems with enemy air force.

Hmm... so the two pass system would be a Fighter Sweep pretty much.

When talking about CAP in Arma 2 Im thinking about ordering a plane to be stationed above your AO, so you will not get any nasty surprise Hind, that AI could pull out of it's ass. This way you are covered as far as enemy air force is concerned, leaving you with more options how to deal with ground forces.

While Fighter Sweep is something you call in when you already have problems with enemy air force.

Sorry it took so long to get back with you on this, RL stuff this past few days been taking up all my time... figures... I did however send out a newer version of RUM for testing and am starting to get some feedback on it so hopefully a new release real soon... Spoke with Draper and will be getting the main page updated soon with the info. :)

Taro8, great idea's but then there would be nothing to be afraid of if you dominated the skys for long periods... most of my missions with pucker factor always had the threat of being chased by a helo... :) There should be a CAS and CAP in the next release, weather it will perform the duties you and I had discussed at this point is another story... I have added them however to my list of changes/updates/upgrades/additions...

-VRCRaptor

Ok VRCRaptor,

Check your email, PM me if you didn't get it, I have sent updated files with test findings best I can determine for you to review! Good Luck! Thanks for all the hard work!

Vengeance

Taro8, great idea's but then there would be nothing to be afraid of if you dominated the skys for long periods... most of my missions with pucker factor always had the threat of being chased by a helo... There should be a CAS and CAP in the next release, weather it will perform the duties you and I had discussed at this point is another story... I have added them however to my list of changes/updates/upgrades/additions...

Yeah, but Ambient Combat Manager is a massive dick and WILL spawn frogfoots and hinds when least expected, just to fuck with you ;).

Yeah, but Ambient Combat Manager is a massive dick and WILL spawn frogfoots and hinds when least expected, just to fuck with you ;).

Try out the latest MSO, its not ACM and may provide something alot different... I always place some kind of a random element on the map, not ACM, for air usually and this way I dont get a frogfoot all the time... ran across some issues lately with RUM release, Drapers PC is down at the moment and I need him for some of the release fixes I have as well. He should be back up next week and so possibly between now and the end of October. Bug reports are back and are being delt with as well... Ohally, I havent forgot about you... promise :)

-VRCRaptor

Dont get me wrong, I know I can turn off or limit air units spawned by ACM. I like the total randomness and the thing with hinds is something I find funny. Hinds buttraping my team is more caused by ASR AI with lets AI teams communicate with other to call in reinforcements, so if there is a hind or frogfoot flying around, there is a good chance it will get in rage of radio transmission of enemy you have engaged. That is why CAP is so important for me as it would allow me to safely execute my mission without the fear of being blown to tiny little meaty bits by enemy air support. Planing ahead against this kind of thing, taking possibilities into consideration; this is something I enjoy doing and something that makes run-of-the-mill SOM missions more interesting.

Cheers VCRaptor, I check here about everyday, can't wait for the next release. Love what you guys do!

Yes, it is still be ing developed... new release real soon... :) Both Draper and I have run into some Real Life issues the last couple months and were not able to finish it for release as planned. There will be more posted very soon.

-VRCRaptor

Yes, it is still be ing developed... new release real soon... :) Both Draper and I have run into some Real Life issues the last couple months and were not able to finish it for release as planned. There will be more posted very soon.

-VRCRaptor

Take care of real life before you think of this! When you do get back, any plans of implementing UAV strikes? Also, for whatever reason, I can't get attack helos to fire laser guided Hellfires. I put them on station, then tell them to use ATGM and they say waiting for sparkle, but even when I activate the laser they do nothing. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks!

Take care of real life before you think of this! When you do get back, any plans of implementing UAV strikes? Also, for whatever reason, I can't get attack helos to fire laser guided Hellfires. I put them on station, then tell them to use ATGM and they say waiting for sparkle, but even when I activate the laser they do nothing. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks!

sorry for the delay in reply... holiday here in the US took its toll... :) The ATGM issue should be resolved in the next release... this is a favorite of mine as well as the other option I put in (SFS) Suppressive Fire Support! :o.

UAV strike... this is something on our table for another updated release... great idea though...

Right now, the main focus is to squash some known bugs and fix some known issues. There will be some new stuff added as well, but mainly going to be to fix and enhance before adding a bunch of new items.

-VRCRaptor

Oh yeah, another question. Does the fast rope function work? I have ACE installed and I can't seem to figure out how to use it.

YES there will be a working Fast Rope option... at this time it is using the Norrin Fast Ropes, but ACE is also an option... :)

Hope that answers your question...

-VRCRaptor

YES there will be a working Fast Rope option... at this time it is using the Norrin Fast Ropes, but ACE is also an option... :)

Hope that answers your question...

-VRCRaptor

I have ACE, but I don't know how to enable the fast roping. How do you do it? :p