Sign in to follow this  
miles teg

Making custom modelled/configured backpacks

Ok...here's my problem. My IDF soldiers have, overall, very unique backpacks that have no equivalent amongst any of the backpacks in OA from what I can tell. Does ANYONE out there have any clue about how to make a custom backpack? If anyone does, if you could release a MLOD of a backpack and its config I would be EXTREMELY appreciative. That way I have a template to use on a whole range of custom backpacks that can be found in my mod on both IDF and Arab infantry.

If not... I'll probably just leave the backpack proxy off of my guys for now.

Below is an example of the custom backpacks we're using that I'd like to get working so that they can actually be put into proxy form and be used to carry extra stuff:

Matkal_New_6.JPG

Matkal_New_3.JPG

LoBo_ArmA2_IDFparasMerkava1.jpg

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

this might be of help. I think OA backpacks are not more special than other objects out there, with the exception of those memory points i pointed you to. They are not proxy objects whatsoever.

this might be of help. I think OA backpacks are not more special than other objects out there, with the exception of those memory points i pointed you to. They are not proxy objects whatsoever.

No...that's not what I'm asking but thanks anyways. That link you posted is for how to add BI backpacks to an infantry model. YOu see, I DON'T want to add BI backpacks. I want to use the backpacks that you see on these models but actually make them working where I can take them off and put stuff in them.

Does that make sense? At any rate, I already know how to add the backpack proxy. That's a simple copy and paste to the infantry LOD's and is very simple.

What is NOT simple is making your own custom backpack.

I wish BI would release some MLOD's and config examples things like that. It would be very useful because as far as I now, nobody has made any customized backpacks.

Does anyone know how to do this? Or is there still confusion about what I'm asking?

No...that's not what I'm asking but thanks anyways. That link you posted is for how to add BI backpacks to an infantry model. YOu see, I DON'T want to add BI backpacks.

I understood that from the first time, but also, from your previous post, i understand you want to use BIS' OA backpack system. I though knowing you need to adjust the infantry models so it can use the backpacks would also help your out, but seems you already knew that

I want to use the backpacks that you see on these models but actually make them working where I can take them off and put stuff in them.

[..]

What is NOT simple is making your own custom backpack.

I wish BI would release some MLOD's and config examples things like that. It would be very useful because as far as I now, nobody has made any customized backpacks.

Unfortunately, there is no such information available...(as to the model.cfg, or named selections etc) - or at least to my knowledge

Doubt anyone outside BIS would be able to help though

Hmmm....well ACE did make a working backpack system well before OA (in ArmA 1 actually). But I imagine that their original backpack system is very script intensive. Since I imagine that they are working on upgrading the BI backpack system, do you know anyone in ACE that might help? There's gotta be someone working on the backpacks in ACE. If you don't know, do you know who would be a good person to ask?

Thanks again,

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Hmmm....well ACE did make a working backpack system well before OA (in ArmA 1 actually). But I imagine that their original backpack system is very script intensive. Since I imagine that they are working on upgrading the BI backpack system, do you know anyone in ACE that might help? There's gotta be someone working on the backpacks in ACE. If you don't know, do you know who would be a good person to ask?

Thanks again,

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

The ACE backpack system is a lot different to the way BI one works.

There was no model proxy nor memory points on the backpacks, it was via attachto spine2 bone.

The whole pack of scripts behind the backpack system is something different indeed. I am uncertain who (behind the almighty rocko) is in charge of the backpacks tbh, but sure i can ask an give you a reply (although the information about OA backpack configs and model.cfg is just as unknown)

Someone (RavenDK I think) released a MLOD for a backpack a few weeks ago. All I remember is its exactly like the charcter model (same selections and model.cfg as far as I can recall), only its just the backpack (obviously). There may be extra memory points, when I get home from work I'll try and find the link for you and advise you further. Otherwise if you want to try and look for it yourself, its also got the memory points for the IR lasers and secondary optics etc in there too, which might help with your search parameters.

Hmm, seems I was mistaken about the backpack model being included, it was merely a proxy for the positioning, but I'm SURE I've seen the backpack model somewhere, as I even remember opening it and looking over the LODs etc. I'll keep looking and see if I come across it again.

Edited by Jackal326

i made my own backpack yesterday and had trouble getting it to bend with the body. However, it worked just like a backpack, i could use it.

memory points? what use would they have for this?

i made my own backpack yesterday and had trouble getting it to bend with the body. However' date=' it worked just like a backpack, i could use it.

memory points? what use would they have for this?[/quote']

I think the selection of the backpacks are based on BIS bones. I'll see if i can confirm that

@Pufu,

The backpack uses the same selections as BIS ones, you're right on that.

The best way to think of the backpacks is just like a portable ammobox.

Below is how I added my daysack in OA, my backpacks definately work in game and were part of my last British 3 Rifle Release.

------------------------------

First thing I did was added the Backpack Proxy to my models (follow the link pufu provided earlier). Although the proxy will say "US_Bag" this isn't what it will put on your unit, its just the proxy's name.

pic1.jpg

After you have done that you will need to create a NEW p3d which will contain your backpack model. I just opened up O2 and copy and pasted my backpack into and empty O2 window like below, this means it will be positioned correctly when placed on my infantry in game, you will also note that the selections are the same as the ones used on your infantry models. As a general rule I have the WHOLE of the actual rucksack defined as ONLY "Spine2" and then the straps defined in a similar way to the standard BIS ones. As you can see in the pictire, there is a 1.000 LOD and a View - Pilot LOD, you can create as many LOD's as you want for optimising the performance in game. The shadowvolume works the same as on infantry models as does the geometry.

pic2.jpg

Just like with an ammobox you will need to add a memory point called "doplnovani" like in the image below, I think this dictates where the user option to take or open the rucksack appears. As you can see with mine it has just been placed directly behind the rucksack.

pic3.jpg

You will need to add a land contact point so that when the rucksack is dropped it sits properly on the floor:

pic4.jpg

Again, like with an ammobox, you will need to add a roadway, I don't really know what this does but I guess it has something to do with being able to select the rucksack when it is on the ground. Again, mine has been added at the back of the rucksack. You will need to select "find components" so that this works properly in game.

You will also need to add a view geometry but that works in the same way as with vehicles etc.

pic5.jpg

If you get stuck with any stage the best reference is the ARMA1 ammo box MLODs.

To get the backpack to animate properly you will need to add it to your model.cfg:

class Brit_LS: ArmaMan {};

class Brit_C: ArmaMan {};

class Brit_PackDaySack: ArmaMan {};

As an example my daysack has just been added to the bottom of my infantry.

Now the rucksack will also need to be added to your config, there are quite a few different parameters but the ones below seemed the most important, as you can see I have used "USBasicBag" as inheritance for my rucksack. The transportMaxMagazines is probably where you will being editing most often.

class Brit_PackDaySack: USBasicBag

{

scope = 2;

displayName = "Daysack (UK)";

model = "\STKR_BritMTP\Brit_PackDaySack.p3d";

picture = "\STKR_BritMTP\icons\Brit_PackDaySack_ca.paa";

icon = "\ca\weapons_e\data\icons\mapIcon_backpack_CA.paa";

transportMaxWeapons = 0;

transportMaxMagazines = 10;

};

You will also need to add "USBasicBag" earlier on in your config so the rucksack has something to inherit from, juts like you would do with infantry inheritance.

class CfgVehicles

{

class Land;

class Man: Land

{

class ViewPilot;

};

class CAManBase;

class USBasicBag;

class US_Soldier_EP1;

class US_Soldier_Medic_EP1;

class US_Soldier_Sniper_EP1;

Anyway, hope that helps.

STALKERGB

Edited by STALKERGB

memory points? what use would they have for this?

Just like with an ammobox you will need to add a memory point called "doplnovani" like in the image below' date=' I think this dictates where the user option to take or open the rucksack appears. As you can see with mine it has just been placed directly behind the rucksack.

...[/quote']

Thats what use they have ;)

Cheers for the very detailed info on this.

Any chance you could provide a template download of the backpack? You could even screw up the model if you're not authorized to release the model so that it looks all ugly and without any textures. :)

It's just stuff like the roadway LOD, shadow LOD's, etc... that I'm going to have major issues with (my computer hates O2 and even when doing shadow LOD's correctly I get random wierdness). I also don't have access to the ammobox MLOD from ArmA1. I have most of the MLOD's from ArmA1 but not the ammo boxes.

At any rate, thank you very much for the detailed explanation, but I REALLY hope that you can release a template as that is the simplest way for noobs like me to get our own backpacks working perfectly between that and your written tutorial.

Maybe the simple .p3d model with no textures coupled with your tutorial in a word .doc format could be put up on Armaholic.com. That would help out ALOT of addon makers.

Thanks!

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Edited by Miles Teg

@Miles Teg, I've created a template addon for people to have a look at, and have included a similar tutorial to the one in this thread. I created a new thread for this in the modelling section of the editing forum.

Link to example backpack download

Hope that helps you :)

Edited by STALKERGB

Thank you SOOO much! That is perfect and is a HUGE benefit to the community! You have my greatest respect sir!

(Salute to ya)

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Team Leader of the Lost Brothers Mod

I made my own Backpack for my fictious soldiers but the bags didn't want went to right place on the body. They placed on the butt. Can someone help? I've follow the instructions of StalkerGB but it didn't works???

Edited by Marseille77

I made my own Backpack for my fictious soldiers but the bags didn't want went to right place on the body. They placed on the butt. Can someone help? I've follow the instructions of StalkerGB but it didn't works???

Not sure if you've sorted this but here is the link to my example backpack if you wanted to have a look:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MNQD7QLW

Not sure if you've sorted this but here is the link to my example backpack if you wanted to have a look:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MNQD7QLW

Hi Stalker,

Can you please please re-upload your example on another Hoster? As we all know Megaupload had "some smallturbulences".

I searched for an Backpack Tutorial, found this thread, was so happy and than the FBI owned me :p