Sign in to follow this  
Chumba

Recoils

The recoils when using scopes are correct in that the player's point of view stays centred but the "world" jumps - yet when using ironsights and some of the other optics it's the other way round which IMO just isn't right.

I think ALL recoil effects should be like scoped weapons are now - ie. the world on the screen jumps, not the sight. Ideally a combo of the two?

Which type of recoil works best I honestly have no idea. There's been a lot of different suggestions over the ages.

There's some resistance to have screen-shakes in general however - many get seasick when using head-bob for instance. I was excited when I first saw headbob in the arma 2 trailer however I must admit having it only ~35% today. I suppose it was more appealing as a video effect than a gameplay one :)

There may be better ways to make recoil more exciting. For instance, arma 1 style kickback recoil seems to have gotten quite a few votes. The kickback in arma2 IS quite weak. Check the video comparison of A1 and A2.

I remember dslyecxi's article showing Infiltration's quite different scopes: scroll down to the "Scopes" section. Check the video.

You can also see a screen shake effect on ironsights in the other sections.

Whether that's desirable I couldn't say.

By no means am I a weapons expert (only fired an air-rifle thingy a few times), but I often thought maybe the right type of recoil was more of a head-kickback than anything else.

I just wasted hour+ trying to represent this, so people better like it ;)

arma2_recoil_idea2.gif

Be mindful that this representation is missing factors such as shaking and vertical kick.

What it does show is, when the kick comes, the scope gets closer to you and the view is zoomed out - giving you the impression of a kick-back.

Notice also that the scope here is smaller than arma2's. This may or may not be necessary.

discuss :)

Wow Dslyecxi's demonstration you link to is plain amazing.That mod is a work of art!!

Wamingo summed it all up for you guys.

Also at Arma 2 Community Issue Tracker go vote for it.

Kick back recoil besides the vertical muzzle climb

Voted for this awhile back hope it comes to Operation Arrowhead due to popular request.

How do we vote?There is no option that I see at

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/4401

You need to sign up first, then you'll see a green UP arrow next to the green number which is +votes... click that arrow.

Also at Arma 2 Community Issue Tracker go vote for it.

Done :)