Sign in to follow this  
DarkestKnight

lol whups! page this file!

so windows 7 apparently sets your paging file pretty janky to start. i thought i had set it soon after i set up the OS, but i decided to look at it and see if there was any tweaking and noticed i must of forgotten to look at it in a daze of miraculousness at how much better w7 already performed. well, did a 1.5 addition of a page file to my secondary hard drive.... immense performance boost in graphics heavy games.

check those page files.

if you have found a true work around for W7 and this game, please share what you did exactly so those who are also having trouble can follow your instructions and have a smooth game. you never know it might make a sticky ;)

well, arma 2 basically works on w7 despite the bugs of the AI being able to detect you and shoot at you through concealing objects and so on. There's a lack of consistently fluid gameplay but if you go into your advanced system settings through the control panel and make your min and max page file size 1.5x the size of your physical RAM, you can at least (at least I did) squeeze a little more performance out of the game. sometimes virtual memory helps. this is all related to an incoherent draw problem from the game, it doesnt utilize enough RAM and thus its calling from the HD to fill a finite amount of RAM that the game has already predefined for itself(unfortunate) which then finally gets pumped into the processors. the HD write speeds (unless an SSD can be employed) will not be fast enough to keep filling the small amount of RAM being used which is getting sucked up by the processor.

too bad this just isnt on the 64bit horse. that should be the highest priority patch.

LOL...I was about to write about the opposite but for Vista 64. Arma would just go to 0FPS...pixelate then crash, but after removing the page file from the secondary drive(gaming drive)...no CTD's have occured! So all I have is page file on my primary hard drive.

When I switched to 7 on the release candidate I got a ton of CTD's until I increased the paging file. Great ever since.

it just seems weird that i can run this game fine with fluid game play, no stuttering, glitching or frame loss. and i'm on a lower spec system.

have you thought it could be W7 holding it back?

your quick to critisise the game yet your not trying it on another O/S. why dont you point the finger at the O/S before the game?

next your going to say.....'i'm not spending on my rig to play a game' a HDD 3gb/s will cost (in the UK) £60 , you or someone you know will have XP laying around. install it, copy the files over and install the game on XP patch it play it. i garentee with your setup it will run flawlessly.

i will never buy/use an O/S made by MS after XP because Vista/7 have caused nothing but trouble with games according to every performance/error thread on almost every game dev site, every single one is linked, every single game be it graphical or sound, each thread has the word Windows 7 in it.

so it must say something about that O/S? i aint seen one thread yet with problems that have XP in the thread.

ArmA installed to a fresh W7 installation (I bought 7 Home Premium) running on PC w/ 4GB of RAM works without any changes whatsoever. Even BIS editing tools...

Biggest problem is that most people have said it's nothing more than Vista with a new theme and some gimmicks thrown in. After all, what radical changes could Microsoft honestly have made in such a short time-span? I tried the release candidate myself before it's release and wasn't impressed. XP seems to be where I will stay, even if Microsoft stop supporting it.

XP seems to be where I will stay, even if Microsoft stop supporting it.

Same here, hell i'm on WinXP 32Bit SP2 and it performs great :cool:

The first thing i do after a re-install is setting windows theme to classic, can't stand all that visual crap :p

W7 works better than XP on my rig for some reason. No major issues since having both OS installed. On ArmA Mark II I always get a 10-12 score, if that somehow got 'fixed' the game would run perfectly.

windows 7 is excellent. i have XPpro x32 installed on another hard drive for dual boot in case i absolutely need it for legacy software... i suppose i could just run arma from the w7 drive and see how it works... though i'd rather just keep it all simple and in one place.

i'm surprised so many take offense to me heavily ragging on BIS lack of comprehensive beta testing before throwing the problems onto the people who hand them their hard earned cash. you must really like paying for work.

---------- Post added at 06:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:21 PM ----------

in fact, can i hire some of you to pay me so you can make sure my shaft is spic and span at all times?

i'm surprised so many take offense to me heavily ragging on BIS lack of comprehensive beta testing before throwing the problems onto the people who hand them their hard earned cash. you must really like paying for work.

Have you ever thought it was the way one put it that could trigger that effect :eek: