Sign in to follow this  
Ulfen125

[Help]Skinning new units

Hey there this is my first post in these forums, I am completley new to Arma 2 and I have never modded it before. I have been trying to find some good tutorials on how to copy the usmc infatery units and make a new one of them. I want to resking them to look like swedish soldiers, sorry for my bad english and I hope you understand what it is I am trying to do. I have managed to extract the texture files and such with a tool. I hope you can help :)

forcereconbodyco.jpg

i was wondering the same thing...does any1 have an answer?

You need to hex edit the texture paths in the p3d file, keeping the paths the exact same number of characters.

You need to hex edit the texture paths in the p3d file, keeping the paths the exact same number of characters.

And how would I do this? :)

I use Notepad++ along with the Hex Editor plugin to edit the p3d files.

For example if you open the usmc_soldier.p3d and do a search for _co.paa (set data type to ANSI string) you should find reference to three texures that you will have to edit.

ca\characters2\usmc\marines\data\usmc_marpatsm_co.paa

ca\characters2\usmc\marines\data\usmc_marpatsgb_co.paa

ca\characters2\usmc\marines\data\usmc_marpatsgs_co.paa

Replace ca\characters2 with something like ulfen_swe_unif (note: must be the exact same amount of characters)

If you wanted this as a mod, you'd have to create a config file for the new unit types, right?

If you wanted this as a mod, you'd have to create a config file for the new unit types, right?
Yes, something like this.

#define private		0
#define protected		1
#define public		2

#define true	1
#define false	0

#define TEast		0
#define TWest		1
#define TGuerrila		2
#define TCivilian		3
#define TSideUnknown		4
#define TEnemy		5
#define TFriendly		6
#define TLogic		7

class CfgPatches {
class ulfen_swe_soldiers {
	units[] = {};
	weapons[] = {};
	requiredVersion = 0.100000;
	requiredAddons[] = {};
};
};

class CfgFactionClasses {
access = ReadAndCreate;

class swedish {
	displayName = "Swedish Soldiers";
	priority = 10000;
	side = -1;
};
};

class CfgVehicles {

class USMC_Soldier_Base;	// External class reference

class ulfen_Soldier: USMC_Soldier_Base {
	scope = public;
	accuracy = 3.9;	// accuracy needed to recognize type of this target
	model = "\ulfen_swe_unif\usmc\usmc_soldier";
	displayName = "SWE Rifleman(M16A4)";
	faction = swedish;
	weapons[] = {M16A4, "NVGoggles", "Throw", "Put", "ItemMap", "ItemCompass", "ItemWatch", "ItemRadio"};
	magazines[] = {"30Rnd_556x45_Stanag", "30Rnd_556x45_Stanag", "30Rnd_556x45_Stanag", "30Rnd_556x45_Stanag", "30Rnd_556x45_Stanag", "30Rnd_556x45_Stanag", "HandGrenade_West", "HandGrenade_West", "HandGrenade_West", "HandGrenade_West"};
	respawnWeapons[] = {M16A4, "NVGoggles", "Throw", "Put", "ItemMap", "ItemCompass", "ItemWatch", "ItemRadio"};
	respawnMagazines[] = {"30Rnd_556x45_Stanag", "30Rnd_556x45_Stanag", "30Rnd_556x45_Stanag", "30Rnd_556x45_Stanag", "HandGrenade_West", "HandGrenade_West"};
};

};

Yes, something like this.

#define private		0
#define protected		1
#define public		2

#define true	1
#define false	0

#define TEast		0
#define TWest		1
#define TGuerrila		2
#define TCivilian		3
#define TSideUnknown		4
#define TEnemy		5
#define TFriendly		6
#define TLogic		7

class CfgPatches {
class ulfen_swe_soldiers {
	units[] = {};
	weapons[] = {};
	requiredVersion = 0.100000;
	requiredAddons[] = {};
};
};

class CfgFactionClasses {
access = ReadAndCreate;

class swedish {
	displayName = "Swedish Soldiers";
	priority = 10000;
	side = -1;
};
};

class CfgVehicles {

class USMC_Soldier_Base;	// External class reference

class ulfen_Soldier: USMC_Soldier_Base {
	scope = public;
	accuracy = 3.9;	// accuracy needed to recognize type of this target
	model = "\ulfen_swe_unif\usmc\usmc_soldier";
	displayName = "SWE Rifleman(M16A4)";
	faction = swedish;
	weapons[] = {M16A4, "NVGoggles", "Throw", "Put", "ItemMap", "ItemCompass", "ItemWatch", "ItemRadio"};
	magazines[] = {"30Rnd_556x45_Stanag", "30Rnd_556x45_Stanag", "30Rnd_556x45_Stanag", "30Rnd_556x45_Stanag", "30Rnd_556x45_Stanag", "30Rnd_556x45_Stanag", "HandGrenade_West", "HandGrenade_West", "HandGrenade_West", "HandGrenade_West"};
	respawnWeapons[] = {M16A4, "NVGoggles", "Throw", "Put", "ItemMap", "ItemCompass", "ItemWatch", "ItemRadio"};
	respawnMagazines[] = {"30Rnd_556x45_Stanag", "30Rnd_556x45_Stanag", "30Rnd_556x45_Stanag", "30Rnd_556x45_Stanag", "HandGrenade_West", "HandGrenade_West"};
};

};

Alright thanks, I only got one more question :o How do I create and apply new custom Normal maps for it? Since im doing the swedish stridsväst 2000 and it needs some custom normal maps. Thanks alot for the help, I hope im not being anoying :s

Alright thanks, I only got one more question :o How do I create and apply new custom Normal maps for it? Since im doing the swedish stridsväst 2000 and it needs some custom normal maps. Thanks alot for the help, I hope im not being anoying :s
You might find this tutorial helpful for creating custom normal maps.

Soul_Assassin's texturing how-to

Also search the ArmA1 editing section of the forum.

If you use custom normal maps you will need to hex edit the texture paths in the p3d file and the relevant rvmat file.

Excellent thread!

One question:

I'm at a similar stage. Have got the textures edited, the p3d Hex'ed and the config done, but for some reason when the models show up ingame they have their original BIS textures. Which is wierd, because as far as I can see, there is no text anywhere (p3d, config) that would make the model use the original textures.

Suggestions?

EDIT: Nevermind. I just saw that there is more than one entry per texture in the p3d. Keep up the good thread!

Edited by Viking_NFS
Problem solved

It didn't entirely work for me.

I'm extending the FR_Base (Marine Force Recon) and the custom unit with the custom textures, but it shows up in the USMC list in the editor, with the custom faction not appearing.

I'm fooling around with the config now.

EDIT: Disregard, I got it to work just fine. The new faction is showing up.

Edited by NotASenator

It didn't entirely work for me.

I'm extending the FR_Base (Marine Force Recon) and the custom unit with the custom textures, but it shows up in the USMC list in the editor, with the custom faction not appearing.

I'm fooling around with the config now.

EDIT: Disregard, I got it to work just fine. The new faction is showing up.

Hello i tried copying the cfg that was posted but it doesnt seem to show up ingame when i make it into a mod I cant find Swedish faction :s

Hello i tried copying the cfg that was posted but it doesnt seem to show up ingame when i make it into a mod I cant find Swedish faction :s
Have you managed to get it working yet?

Wonderful m90 there Ulfen - how did you get hold of the .paa to edit?

(if you still have problems with the config part, gimme a shout and I'll fix one for you)

Isn't it now possible to use hiddenSelectionsTextures command in unit config to skip the hex editing? It should work for infantry models too because they also have "Camo" selection which is used to change the texture. So instead of hex editing the model you would just have to add something like this in your config:

hiddenSelectionsTextures[] = {"\ulfen_swe_units\yourtexture.paa"};

Note how character count isn't an issue anymore when you use the command. Also you can use the stock BIS model to reduce addon size :).

Isn't it now possible to use hiddenSelectionsTextures command in unit config to skip the hex editing? It should work for infantry models too because they also have "Camo" selection which is used to change the texture.
Only works if the model has a "Camo" hiddenSelectionsTextures.

Here's a list of models in characters2 that have the "Camo" hiddenSelectionsTextures.

Civil

citizen.p3d

doctor.p3d

functionary.p3d

profiteer.p3d

rocker.p3d

villager.p3d

woodlander.p3d

worker.p3d

Civil Female

damsel.p3d

farmwife.p3d

hooker.p3d

housewife.p3d

secretary.p3d

sportswoman.p3d

wife.p3d

workwoman.p3d

Snipers

ghillie_overall.p3d

USMC

lhd_crewman.p3d

usmc_soldier_light.p3d

hi, i have photoshop knowlege but i dont know how people retexture units keeping the clothes "lines" and folds.. i tried seraching for tutorials but cant find any

for exemple, adding a camo pattern in a units pants but keeping the costure, pocket lines etc...

rufflesgnr is offline Report Post Edit/Delete Message

Edited by rufflesgnr

Try greyscaling the relevant normal map (_nohq.paa) and blend it with your camo pattern.

Camo clothers can't be used as a base for fold-shadows, you need 1 color clothers for that. If i remember correctly the pilots are wearing all green or all grey overalls, i'd try to use those.

If they're missing a pockets you can still copy those over from other units and try to repaint them to have less camo effects.

How do you Make Camo Then Apply it ive got photoshop Bi tools and 3ds max

Hi, Can you explain this to me as if you were talking to a child cause this crap makes no sense and i'm getting mad as heck. I don't understand. I a totourial on where theses files are located (I;m using steam version). I need the whole step. Thanks