Sign in to follow this  
soul_assassin

hiddenSelectionTextures in ARMA2

Sorry but since there is no Config section for Arma2 I thought i'd post here.

While snooping around I found something very interesting. The config specifies something very curious:

hiddenSelections[] = {"Camo1", "Camo2"};
hiddenSelectionsTextures[] = {"\ca\tracked\data\bmp2_01_co.paa", "\ca\tracked\data\bmp2_02_co.paa"};

can someone correct me if Im wrong but this means that you no longer have to have different p3d files for different camo versions. Just one p3d with Selection names corresponding to the placement of the textures.

If this is true then this is super handy as it will keep pbo's clean and small. And above all, releasing a retexture will be a peice of cake with no need to hexedit .paa names. Just release a pbo with your .paa files and a config with those lines (given of course you know the selectionNames on the model), for T72 for example there is am extra "Camo3" with its _3.paa corresponding texture.

That was possible with ArmA1 but dependent on the model having those selections setup. If they exist for more entities in ArmA2 then great, I should think you suppose correctly. I'm importing the desert marpat skins from ArmA1's Marines but unfortunately AFAIK only the ghillie suits are textured as hidden selections so it's still hex edit the p3d.

as far as i can see ingame they have setup only the vehicles that are present in different factions.

ArmA 1's config reference does not mention this in vehicles :)

Guest RKSL-Rock
can someone correct me if Im wrong but this means that you no longer have to have different p3d files for different camo versions. Just one p3d with Selection names corresponding to the placement of the textures.

If this is true then this is super handy as it will keep pbo's clean and small. And above all, releasing a retexture will be a peice of cake with no need to hexedit .paa names. Just release a pbo with your .paa files and a config with those lines (given of course you know the selectionNames on the model), for T72 for example there is am extra "Camo3" with its _3.paa corresponding texture.

Yeah your assumption is correct. It makes 3rd party reskins far easier and means less scope for permissions cockups. Assuming that the addon maker sets up the model properly in the first place :)

It was supposed to be possbile in ArmA1 apparently. But I never managed to get it to work myself though. I don't think it was ever documented, although Suma did post a brief explanation many moons ago.

Ok...so that means, by useing the hiddenSelectionsTextures[] line, I can do this with my Ford Crown Victorias

Have one .p3d that originally has a white body, then use the line

hiddenSelectionsTextures[] = {"DHI_FordCV\White_Body.pac", "DHI_FordCV\Black_Body.pac"}; and that will make it black in the game?

Yep, just do as you're used to to create hiddenselections in the past. Then in the config this will apply the texture (textures already applied in p3d are overwritten by this setting):

hiddenSelections[] = {
		"camo1",
		"camo2",
		"tailmark"
	};
	hiddenSelectionsTextures[] = {
		"\glt_f16\tex\skin_co.paa",
		"\glt_f16\tex\wep_co.paa",
		"\glt_f16\tails\tail_grey.paa"
	};

You may look at the ArmA 2 F-16C i've released, i've put the unbinarized files to a filehoster which should make it easy to learn from.

The F-16C (next update) will include 4 different camo schemes applied with this method and 5 different weapon loadouts...making 20 different planes and this with only one p3d model.

Yep, just do as you're used to to create hiddenselections in the past. Then in the config this will apply the texture (textures already applied in p3d are overwritten by this setting):

hiddenSelections[] = {
		"camo1",
		"camo2",
		"tailmark"
	};
	hiddenSelectionsTextures[] = {
		"\glt_f16\tex\skin_co.paa",
		"\glt_f16\tex\wep_co.paa",
		"\glt_f16\tails\tail_grey.paa"
	};

You may look at the ArmA 2 F-16C i've released, i've put the unbinarized files to a filehoster which should make it easy to learn from.

The F-16C (next update) will include 4 different camo schemes applied with this method and 5 different weapon loadouts...making 20 different planes and this with only one p3d model.

Myke, question for you sir.

If I put your F-16C in my server's domination map (I assume I have to import it as a stand-alone mod first for the editor to see it), will other users be required to have your mod to see/fly it? Or, will the server simply say they are missing key files (ie: your jet's actual files) and they cannot play?

If the latter, is there ANY possible way to get around forcing people to have your jet installed as a mod to play your plane on our server? Perhaps a way to overload the map so it downloads from the server -> client for that map ONLY?

An addon that is used by a mission has to be installed on every client that tries to connect, else connection process will fail. Also has the addon to be on the server.

Makes sence, since the .pbo files contains the 3D model, textures and everything else thats needed to make the plane visible/usable. Or would you like to see units flying in a invisible plane? Sitting in the air? ;)

And please please, don't call me "sir", i'm already feeling old. :D

Myke what about a client side only replacement config. ;)

@kju

Aye, sure, replacements for BIS content can work clientside-only, also replacements for community addons as long the base addons are on the server and in use in the particular mission.

So, yes, from this point of view, if someone has a replacement config with the F-16C as a base, this would work.

But as far as i understand Draga's question, he doesn't mean replacement config but the addon itself. So, first there has to be something to replace.

:EDITH:

Thinking about it, replacement configs will fail as soon server denies unsigned addons. As this would be a way to cheat, create your own camo replacement and swap textures with bright shiny ones so enemy will be better to spot. I doubt it that server will allow such replacement configs.

Edited by [FRL]Myke

If the replacement is distributed with the core pack, you can sign it yourself.

Otherwise anyone else can easily sign it. It is up to the server admin, if he uploads

the respective key to allow it.

Replace the A10, Harrier or the new plane. ,)

hiddenselections[] = {"body", "engine"};

hiddenselectionstextures[] = {"atow_tak\tex\ah1_body_co.paa", "atow_tak\tex\ah1_engines_co.paa"};

i have this in the config. the pbo's name is atow_tak as shown above.

in game, everything else works fine on this, except im getting "cannot load texture"-

any ideas? i tried also with \ on the front of the line, didnt help

Thanks SA, you forced me to think (i had one wrong file in that folder....)

Next thing, now that theres no RPT errors or anything, all "seems" to work fine, BUT the new skin wont load up. the texture stays the same old?

class AToW_TK_AH1Z : AH1Z {

scope=2;

side=0;

displayName="Cobra";

vehicleClass="Air";

faction = "BIS_TK";

hiddenselections[] = {"body", "engine"};

hiddenselectionstextures[] = {"atow_tak\tex\ah1w_body_co.paa", "atow_tak\tex\ah1w_engines_co.paa"};

crew = "TK_Soldier_Pilot_EP1";

};

requiredAddons[] = {"CAData","CACharacters","CAWeapons","CASounds","CA_Anims_Char","CAAir"};

Next thing, now that theres no RPT errors or anything, all "seems" to work fine, BUT the new skin wont load up. the texture stays the same old?
Did you try again with leading \ ?

Myke;1758273']I would be interested to see the model.cfg file.

as Myke pointed out' date=' the selections "body" and "engine" have to be in the sections['] part of cfgModel in the model.cfg file.

aight, crap.

small explain, what it tried to do was changing the cobra to takistan (worked) and give it new skin WITHOUT HEX editing the p3d.

But seemly that aint possible?

so with just config file, its not possible to "retext" vehicles?

---------- Post added at 07:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:52 PM ----------

btw, is there easy way of checking out if bis AH1Z model.cfg haves these? i assume it haves

To quickly check if a model can be retextured by simple config (means, check if there are hiddenselections defined properly), place the vehicle in the editor, in it's initline write this:

this setObjectTexture [0, ""]

If now in preview the vehicle looks a bit "different", then it is prepared for. If it looks unchanged, well then, bad luck.

Do you mean the ah1z from A1? The same ah1z in the example mlods provided by BIS?