Sign in to follow this  
Ezcoo

Daylight RP [coming soon]

I've now finished the redesigning of the resource & logistics system and also rewritten the algorithm of many functions, and it looks actually pretty good now! :)

nice, and it will look cool even more, if we FINALLY can try it all by ourselves! :p Not rushing it, it is better to have stable and most bugfree release. ;)

Welcome Horner in to the dev-team! :dance1:

Like me, he believes in clean & optimized code! We are very honored to have such a skilled team member with us! give_heart.gif

Edit: Unfortunately Horner is busy with school and is unable to help in the development of Daylight at least for now.

Edited by qbt

Here's an example of an feature – the ability to trace locations of mobile phones of civilians as officer of militia – that isn't helpful at all if player doesn't use his (or her) head, but can be really powerful function if player has roleplayed and teamplayed well and if he can gather and combine information from multiple sources and then draw conclusions based on the information that he has.

Case 1: Officer of militia has been lone wolf and hasn't communicated with other officers much nor roleplayed at all. He gets a clue from civilian, that civilian A may be processing cocaine in the forest. The officer decides to request PSAP to trace the location of the mobile phone of suspect. PSAP responds after a moment and reports the area where civilian is in:

sNrmann.jpg

The officer has no clue where to start searching the suspect – suspect might leave the area before the officer has searched even a sixth of it.

Case 2: Officer of militia has teamplayed and roleplayed well. Thanks to that, he has maintained his situational awareness and knows roughly what's happening in the Chernarus. He has had casual chatter with civilians during his patrol, and civilians have told him during those conversations that he should keep his tabs on civilian A, B and C, because they have seen them moving together near illegal area. After a while the officer gets a clue from civilian, who has heard civilian A talking something about processing "hard stuff" in the forest with someone that he didn't recognize. The officer decides to request PSAP to trace the location of the mobile phone of the suspect. PSAP responds after a moment and reports the area where the suspect is in:

sNrmann.jpg

The officer knows that the area is way too big to be seached throughout. But then he remembers the conversations with other civilians. Maybe the civilians B and C are with A still? He requests more information about those civilians via his radio. He gets response soon, that those civilians are members of the same gang called Hinterland Hillybillies. Based on those facts, the officer decides to request tracing of locations of mobile phones of civilians B and C too from PSAP. PSAP reports the location of civilian B now:

XlOEnvP.jpg

The area that should be searched is a lot smaller now. Then the officer requests PSAP to trace the location of mobile phone of civilian C:

tGTEuk3.jpg

"Gotcha!", he thinks. He reports the results of tracing to other cops and requests reinforcements to the area. A patrol comes with the officer and his patrol mate to raid the area. They find a drug factory full of cocaine hidden in the forest and civilian A and B in it. Civilian C is found almost immediately after that from the cocaine field. The trio is arrested for drug processing and the processed drugs are transported to the evidence disposal area.

Edited by Ezcoo

That's cool and all, but don't you think that that's going to slow the tempo of the game rather dramatically. Especially if the rounds last the usual 5-6 hours?

Also, I hope 3rd person camera is still allowed/usable, in vehicles atleast. Preferably on foot as well, due to the fact that arma's animations are made with only 3rd person mode in mind

Yes, it does slow down the tempo of game and balance the game – and that's exactly what we want! :)

Civcam was the thing that I hated the most in the existing RP missions. It happened almost every time; if you went illegal and e.g. bought a gun from the gang area, the cops were there and arrested you before you even managed to leave the gang area, because they had watched you going to gang area in civcam. It gave them possibility to catch civilians for crimes that hadn't even happened yet! Because of that, you had no time to roleplay as illegal civilian. Instead, it made illegal civs just to DM, because they knew that they would be caught soon, so they had to rush to enjoy their equpiment at least for some minutes before they would get caught. It spoiled the roleplay completely by forcing every illegal civ to DM. And think about the drug fields; no-one used them, because everyone knew that they would get caught within seconds if they went there. Cops were way too overpowered because of it. We know that not implementing civcam-like thing to the mission will result in huge loss of situational awareness, but we have brainstormed hard to return it to acceptable level.

We want the officers to keep the control of Chernarus by teamplaying and roleplaying. I think that it's good deal to everyone. In general, the cop side is meant to players that want to teamplay and roleplay – if player isn't interested in those, the civilian side is there for him.

The estimated runtime was from about 10 to 24 hours by the way. :)

3rd person view is not available at this moment, because it would spoil CQB due to magic view behind the corners. We're discussing about the possibilities though, so it remains to be seen what's the final solution. We'll open feedback section to the community website that'll be online soon, and if enabling the 3rd person is voted for by many people, we'll enable it then.

Edited by Ezcoo

wow, now thats a nice feature there. Btw what i didnt like in usual life missions, is that all illegal areas are known for police from the beginning. Some lazy ass cops do camp them whole time. Wouldn't dynamic illegal areas be better?

I'm happy to tell you that there are both dynamic and static illegal places. Civilians have always multiple options where to sell their illegal stuff, so that it won't be so attractive option to officers to just camp the illegal areas. On the other hand, I think that it's OK if cops camp the illegal places. If you've chosen to go illegal as civ, don't expect it to be as easy as being legal. The risks increase with the profit! You'll always be able to sell your stuff even when the cops are camping the sellers, if you know what to do. For example, use scouts, confuse the officers, make prank calls to 112, *cough* eliminate them, anything. Just use your head and you'll make it! ;)

By the way, there are no places on the map where cops aren't allowed to go. For example, there is a major area with multiple illegal activities, that is accessible to everyone. If you want to get advantage of it, you have to keep the area in your control by defending it by destroying the enemies approaching the area. If you don't care about the defence, someone might surprise you and steal your stuff! :D

The nature of Daylight will be kind of different if compared to many existing RP missions. Mission should have slight feeling of survival. What this means then?

The mission on the whole works so, that it's not likely to happen, that your friends and "enemies" would be fixed like the usual civs vs. cops. Instead, they can differ a lot, depending on what you're doing in the game. For example, if legal civilians protected the illegal civilians and if they didn't report the illegal civilians to the militia, they'd begin to suffer from it at some point, because the illegal civs would begin to take control of the nation, that would make the legal civilians' life hard. If that continued, the nation could eventually even collapse and drift to anarchistic state and turn it into total survival! On the other hand, illegal civilians can be enemies too to each other – think about gangs fighting from the territories, resources, money, rare items...

Roleplay, cooperate, play your cards right – there are your keys to survive. ;)

The algorithm of jail system is finished but it's not implemented yet, so I think that it's not good idea to give exact details because it might change if we face severe bugs or limitations during implementation process. I can tell that it will not be "click'n jail" though. :)

As an response for continuous inquiries about the progress in development: qbt and Horner are rewriting the existing and implementing new core functions to the mission. They've done absolutely magnificent job! The server FPS has been incredibly high – sometimes reaching even the maximum value – despite of the continuously increasing amount of matter on the server. I'm myself making the final tweaks to the map and balancing the prices of items. I printed the general summary by the way, it lacks about 30 % of pages (almost finished stuff, needs just the final checks before it can be attached to the summary) and it still weighs 0.5 kilograms already :D

Edited by Ezcoo

Come and talk to us! We love to hear your feedback! yahoo.gif

gamesbase.cz:9988 (TeamSpeak 3)

We're looking for alpha testers to find the remaining and appearing bugs and to comment the features!

Especially players that are familiar with the existing roleplay missions and mods are welcome, but we're interested in the feedback from players with no experience of roleplay in ArmA too.

Alpha tester requirements:

- TeamSpeak 3

- Microphone

- Ability to use the microphone ;)

Do you want to help us to get the mission online as soon as possible and be credited in the mission?

If your answer is yes, join our above-mentioned TS3 in address gamesbase.cz:9988!

We had the must awesome time with Loudy this evening!

Loudy was very excited and he openly expressed that to us! give_heart.gif

zhrgD7X.jpg

iJIgius.jpg e4IgVeN.jpg UAdm4gI.jpg

There is NOTHING as awesome to hear than someone who is really excited about the project share their feedback! We had a GREAT time! :dance1:

Dont be afraid to express yourself:

gamesbase.cz:9988 (TeamSpeak 3)

I'm very happy to tell that our host promised to help us in creating tactical guides for militia. Wait for professional material – he has served as military police in Finnish Defence Forces!

I'm very happy to tell that our host promised to help us in creating tactical guides for militia. Wait for professional material – he has served as military police in Finnish Defence Forces!

If you need any help with that, give me a shout. Currently serving in a mechanized infantry battalion in the Finnish Defence Forces :)

nice, but in what language it will be? Not Finnish by chance? :p

Don't worry, the guides will be written in English and hopefully will include colorful pictures for your reading pleasure! :dance1:

If you need any help with that, give me a shout. Currently serving in a mechanized infantry battalion in the Finnish Defence Forces :)

Great! Contact Ezcoo at gamesbase.cz:9988 (TeamSpeak 3)!

Hi, I'm Loudy, one of the testers for Daylight RP and I've decided to do a little review/summary from what I've seen while on the server with qbt and Ezcoo. First of all, the amount of detail and realism in unlike anything I've seen. Every picture you see is an unedited, ingame photo. The lighting effects are amazing (especially at night). Also, the amount of added objects adds to the map making it seem a lot more like a real place. I think qbt said there are around 3000-4000 added objects. They have edited almost every aspect of this game to make it so much better. The sounds effects will play a big part. From sirens, which have different sounds (You'll know if it's a cop behind you, or if it is an ambulance), to being in a fire fight and being able to hear your target reloading. They have added suppression so when you get shot you will know you are being shot at and shooting back will be a challenge. Firefights will be FIREFIGHTS, it's no longer a quick 5 sec fight. They have also added many objects that will make firefights more intense. From driving around I can tell you that you will have a lot of cover and winning a firefight will require tactics and teamwork. You can always go solo but you will have a hell of a time surviving. Being interdependent in this server is going to be extremely hard. Your going to be relying on other groups/people for different materials. I'm not going to say much more because I think it is a lot better if everything is a surprise! One thing is for sure though, THIS IS REAL RP. No longer any of that Taki Life bullshit.

We were so taken by Loudy's review that we decided to take the testers hunt some wild boar! :dance1:

mPovyz4.jpg Nkukv0Y.jpg

qFhtJuj.jpg ZrFaVWh.jpg

So much progress has been done in the last few days, we are working very hard to make Daylight the experience everyone has dreamed of!

Just wanted to know, will this mainly be CO-OP or will there be any chance of a singleplayer version? By the way this mission looks fantastic.