Sign in to follow this  
Lazarus_Long

File copy error (crc does not match)

I've tried everything mentioned in Avon's FAQ about this problem but nothing's working.  Please, those of you who have encountered this problem, tell me how you fixed it. I am desperate.  sad.gif

Here's the details:

I get the File copy error (CRC does not match) everytime I try to install Resistance.  It always happens at C:\ProgramFiles\Codemasters\Operation Flashpoint\Res\AddOns\M2A2.pbo.

I've tried everything, Defragment, scandisk, clean re-install of OFP, I tried to manually copy the above file into it's folder from the resistance CD, but it still won't work!!!  I even installed that ASPI layer stuff that some people were having problems with.

My specs:

AMD Athlon 1.33GHz

AD-11 Mobo

512MB PC2100 DDR Ram

Maxtor 7200rpm 40GB HD

MSI Geforce4 Ti4200 128MB DDR

Creative SB Audigy - Gamer

TDK CD-RW

Toshiba DVD-ROM

Cable Modem

Windows XP (Home Edition)

Please HEEEELP!!!! sad.gif

I just tried to install Resistance on my second hard drive running Windows 2000 Pro. (I totally disconnected my other one.) Guess what? I got the exact same error message at the exact same point. What the hell, this is impossible!! Is my CD defective?

Also, my original version of OFP is the European version, but I bought resistance here in the states. Will this cause any problems?

Anyone, please help! I'm freaking out here!! sad.gif Assmasters... I mean Codemasters, never returned my e-mail yet, it will probably be days before they write me back and tell me something I already know. You guys are my only hope.

Well, I got a reply from Codemasters this morning and it was actually pretty darn helpful.  I GOT IT WORKING!! biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif

I'll post the fix here, in case anyone else runs into a similar problem. I don't want anyone to go through the psychological trauma that I had to experience yesterday when I discovered that my much anticipated OFPR would not install.

Here's the Codemasters Fix:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">We're still trying to track down a fix for this, we've determined that it

isn't the CD although it might be an incompatibility between the copy

protection scheme on the CD and the CDROM drive/hard drive or ?  Until we

find a 'fix' the following 'workaround', while not very elegant :-), has

worked so far:

Create a temporary folder (using My Computer or Explorer, go to File--> New

Folder and give it a name, for example "Flash") on your hard drive (make

sure you have plenty of free hard drive space!wink.gif

Using Windows Explorer or My Computer copy (Ctrl-A is the shortcut keys for

Select All; Ctrl-C for Copy) the entire contents of the CD to that temporary

folder (Ctrl-V for Paste).

Then rename the file "setup.crc" to "setup.bak" so the installer program

can't locate it.

Then double-click on "setup.exe" (if you don't see the 'exe' it will have an

icon of floppy disks in front of 'setup'wink.gif from your temporary folder.

After the installation is complete, you can delete the temporary folder.

Thank you,

John

Codemasters USA

Technical Support

<span id='postcolor'>

P.S. Avon Lady, perhaps you could add this to your FAQ?

What troubles me about this is that the data that gets copied onto your hard drive still wouldn't have the right CRC.

Yes, the game managed to install, but the data is probably still borked. You might want to get the M2A2.pbo file from someone else and do a byte-for-byte compare (using FC.EXE /b), and replace your local file if needed.

I get this CRC problem when I install the gold upgrade (or any upgrade for that matter) to the original game. The thing that puzzles me is that the bloody thing worked fine when I first installed the game about a 6 months ago. We havent got Resistance in New Zealand yet so I dont know if the same problem will arise. Anyway I will give the codemasters fix a go.

The codemasters fix works for my problem as well. When I download and install the 4th upgrade, it gives me an error message in the data.pbo file. I click ignore and the upgrade installs fine. I am still confused as to how the data file got corrupted on an original cd. confused.gif Anyway hope the game works fine.

I dont know how helpful this is but I know that a CRC is a Cyclic Redundancy Check.

I understand that it is run by the OS whenever it is recieving data. What it does is runs a numerical process on the data packet and compares it to the results that it should have (the correct CRC) and if its wrong it get problematic.Basicaly an error checking protocol used by Windows.

I know this is no use, just something I know of. smile.gif

Actually, Windows does NOT perform a CRC check, it wouldn't even know what the proper CRC for the data being read is. Modern hard drives and their controllers perform the CRC check themselves and perform automatic retries and data recovery as needed -- they can not only detect single and multi-bit errors, but they can also reconstruct the original data. Only if multiple retries fail is an error reported to the OS and in turn the application, but this shows up as a read error, not a CRC error.

Basically, the CRC error message in question is an application-level error message.

i changed the setup.crc file to setup.bak which worked great to get it installed but now it wont run or update.

Hope this isn't too old to dig up, but mine has the same problem. I did a full reformat last night, and now I had to use the copy the cd trick to make it install CWC. Now I cannot update at all, I get crc errors in 1985, data, data3d, landtext, and music pbo's. It varies which one I get the error in. Is there any chance that my CD could be replaced? It's not scratched.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (sseagle @ Mar. 05 2003,15:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> Is there any chance that my CD could be replaced? It's not scratched.<span id='postcolor'>

More than likely it's a hardware issue, as you don't list your computer specs (wise thing to do when asking for tech support) it's hard to suggest what the problem is.

Best course of action is to search Avon's FAQ for crc via aspi and suchlike smile.gif

I've done everything in Avon's faq for this, but my specs are:

P4 1.3 GHz

768MB RDRAM

GeForce 2 MX 400 (32mb)

Samsung DVD/CDRW SM-308B

Samsung CD-R/RW SM-240B

SBLive! Value

80GB Maxtor HD

Windows XP Professional

I got hosed by Dell......

What motherboard do you have and what chipset is it based on?

I think I just nailed my disk as well. I just put a new PC together, during the course of which, I applied some Artic Silver (Thermal compound) to the CPU. Needless to say, my Resistance disk got plonked on some run-off on the desk for a couple of hours.

I cleaned it as well as possible, using alcohol (Nothing else will shift it), and the disk looks brand new. Sadly, there are now un-movable particles of silver clogging up disk

Now, it corrupts most of the .pbo files in the RES/Addons folder. Now in the unlikely event someone sends me all 200mb of .pbo's in the addon folder, how do I go about getting a new disk, and for how much?

Cheers

Ok, i finally notice concentric scratches in the plastic layer. I thinks me cd drive has harpooned me disc. I guess I can play with errors, but I would like to obtain a new disc. Thanks for helping (You too Hudson)

Yet strangely enough it installs and patches flawlessly on every other PC I've tried. Hmmmmm

Maybe your CD-Drive is the problem not the CD?

I've tried everything else, I'll snatch my fiancee's second cdrom tomorrow and try that, could it be other hardware conflicts? I tried to install it on win2000 too, and it did the same thing. The computer I just installed it on (This one!wink.gif at the LAN party is also running XP Pro. I'm gonna kill dell, because it started to fuck up right after my warranty expired.

After breaking my Original CWC CD (which worked without any problems during installation) I had to buy the GOTY edition.

The first attempt to install it failed with a CRC error for 0.pbo and/or M2A2.pbo.

I solved the problem by lowering my FSB from 133(266) MHz to 100 in the PC Bios. After the successful installation I changed it back. Works like a charm.

Thanks Avon, this solution is from your FAQ.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Shrike @ April 10 2003,12:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Thanks Avon, this solution is from your FAQ.<span id='postcolor'>

wink.gifsmile.gif