Sign in to follow this  
UiiN

Pathfinding

The irony in the title of this mission (Pathfinder) is the AI's inability to find a path. I don't even try anything besides direct control anymore. If i tell the AI to move somewhere it can take nearly 10min to get there, I'm talking 500m along the road. I've never liked missions where i'm forced to play armor and already i'm annoyed 3 missions into the game.

Please tell me someone else is getting annoyed with this.

here! This is the mission that made me pause the OA campaign.

-k

What's 10 minutes or 500 meters in a war/mission? The mission have a two hour timelimit, and I managed to blow it, lol. Not because of AI but because of being cautious myself. There is some climbing in the mission (depending on which route you choose to take), and the bradleys don't climb very well.

IMVHO AI drivers need to make far more use of roads in Takistan! This was way better in Chernarus (one of the early A2 patches fixed it brilliantly)

At the moment, AI vehics just seem to draw a simple straight line to their objective, ignoring the mountain in front of them. Few things in this life more frustrating than watching a T34 trying to climb a mountain. Like watching paint dry, flake off the wall, then decompose into its constituent elements. Then evolve into single-cell lifeforms, undergo eons of blind mutations before finally reaching consciousness. Then study Psychology, realise it's not really conscious; the whole thing's just a terrible, darwinian illusion and it actually has no more self-awareness than the dumb flakes of paint it used to be. Then listen to Morrissey, write bleak poetry and slowly drink itself to death. :)

And just as we seem to be getting somewhere, woops there's a rock and, oh yes, we're upside down (again), wheeee! :803:

ROADS ARE THERE FOR A PURPOSE ;)

Edited by Mandrake5

IMVHO AI drivers need to make far more use of roads in Takistan! This was way better in Chernarus (one of the early A2 patches fixed it brilliantly)

At the moment, AI vehics just seem to draw a simple straight line to their objective, ignoring the mountain in front of them. Few things in this life more frustrating than watching a T34 trying to climb a mountain. Like watching paint dry, flake off the wall, then decompose into its constituent elements. Then evolve into single-cell lifeforms, undergo eons of blind mutations before finally reaching consciousness. Then study Psychology, realise it's not really conscious; the whole thing's just a terrible, darwinian illusion and it actually has no more self-awareness than the dumb flakes of paint it used to be. Then listen to Morrissey, write bleak poetry and slowly drink itself to death. :)

And just as we seem to be getting somewhere, woops there's a rock and, oh yes, we're upside down (again), wheeee! :803:

LMFAO! props for accuracy.

AI need better pathfinding (wheeled vehicles can manage most of cases, but tracked...) and concious about its surroundings, its sad to see they hesitating when someone its moving near them or just ramming in some static\stopped objetc.

IIRC in A1 they where better while driving.

That's funny...I opened Takistan in the editor and placed an M1 Abrams, HMMWV, and a Fuel truck (blank map, no scripts, no addons). I selected them one by one and told them to go to different areas of the map; and low and behold they all went to the nearest road, and drove down it as far as they could until they had to break off and move to the waypoint (even secondary dirt roads). I did this several times; and 90% of the time it was the same results. Once the fuel truck got stuck in a town trying to navigate the corners. And the tank tended to go off road more and take straighter lines towards it's waypoints; which it's a tank...it's supposed to go offroad. Yes you have to micro-manage a little around obstacles; but generally I can plan a route, point and click as they travel, and they will get there. Maybe you should try to plan your routes better instead of just sending them up a mountain lol!

Sounds like a classic case of "blaming the equipment and not the operator"

Edited by No Use For A Name

Setting up such a convoy is generally not so problematic as long as you give them some room and time at the start to "get organized".

However, try to have this convoy navigate through a larger Chernarussian town in a preset route, when enemies are encountered. Major havoc.

That's funny...I opened Takistan in the editor and placed an M1 Abrams, HMMWV, and a Fuel truck (blank map, no scripts, no addons). I selected them one by one and told them to go to different areas of the map; and low and behold they all went to the nearest road, and drove down it as far as they could until they had to break off and move to the waypoint (even secondary dirt roads). I did this several times; and 90% of the time it was the same results. Once the fuel truck got stuck in a town trying to navigate the corners. And the tank tended to go off road more and take straighter lines towards it's waypoints; which it's a tank...it's supposed to go offroad. Yes you have to micro-manage a little around obstacles; but generally I can plan a route, point and click as they travel, and they will get there. Maybe you should try to plan your routes better instead of just sending them up a mountain lol!

Sounds like a classic case of "blaming the equipment and not the operator"

Hmmmmmmm, I don't see that as an option in a hostile area. You can't really hunker down in a hut and pull out your map to reroute your units waypoint by waypoint while taki's are closing in and the rest of your AI is just lolligagging on some.... ****