Sign in to follow this  
andromedagalaxe

recoil for mounted, static weapons

I noticed there is virtually no kickback for mounted/static weapons. If you have seen an M2 mounted being fired, there is some serious kick there. The way it is now, it is too easy to mow down anyone because of this.

could be modded, but why not make this standard?

Yeah, I'd agree with that.

Add more kick with heavy mounted machine guns.

I'd like to see it too. On a mounted weapons note, I'd like my "fingers" to stop blocking my view when I'm sighting down an M2 and aiming uphill.

Camera shake only. I'd prefer if mounted or tripod weapons actually had a purpose of being mounted compared to assault weapons.

Right because recoil defeats the purpose of a mounted weapon. That's why the US Army doesn't use mounted weapons because what's the point of mounting them if they're just going to have recoil anyway?

There's a huge difference between 'recoil' and 'muzzle climb'. All bitching I see is about muzzle climb. The mounted weapons should have feelable recoil, be it through camera shaking or animation (since many mounted weapons are mounted with a recoiling spring letting the weapon travel straight backwards towards the gunner it feels pretty natural with animation. As long as it is *something* to make it go from perfectly stable, to 'merely vastly superior to non-mounted weapons'.

Should of course only be subtle though, or it defeats half the purpose of the weapon.

Edited by Inkompetent

They should have camera shake

be able to make you go deaf for a little when near for too long when firing (like in ace2)

Redone model of M2 and longer reload times for them would be cool.

No, they should not use camera shake (only.) Why? Because camera shake ONLY SHAKES THE CAMERA. If you point a M2HB at a truck 1500m away and hold down the trigger all the camera shake in the world isn't going to change the fact that the M2HB is going to fire like a laser beam without recoil.

The new beta muzzle climb people complain about a bit too much. Even with a full auto M249 magazine the amount mouse drag compensation is tiny. Of course model could be better with some auto-return-to-ballpark so there wouldn't be a net down drag required but still not auto-perfect-return-to-center but small potatoes.

And indeed mounting an M240 should really take the lion's share out of the recoil versus holding it in your hands.

They should have camera shake

be able to make you go deaf for a little when near for too long when firing (like in ace2)

Redone model of M2 and longer reload times for them would be cool.

If they make the reload times any longer, they have to let us take some sort of cover during the process. And some sort of animation is badly needed, as I'm often left wondering if the weapon has glitched on me, or if I'm out of ammo.

Not hard to addCamShake ourselves, ex:

vehicle player addEventHandler ["fired", {addCamShake [5,0.5,100]}];

for a rather wild ride. Although it doesn't add recoil it will do plenty damage against moving targets. Problem I see for adding todays beta muzzle climb, is that it stays elevated. If it did only offset (for these weapons) in a random fashion, then I'd be okay with it.

I'd say that we should optimally get single shot super-accuracy (to the weapon's capability) while full-auto would cause wider dispersion and camera shake, without moving the sights. I.e. the weapon rocking in its seat, the barrel and housing vibrating, and so on being the issue, rather the shooter's body moving and the compensation of muscle-memory not being enough.

I'm not really sure how the game works for that. There is only one single dispersion-value which is applied to all rounds, right? And the rest is stability and recoil forces for different stances?