Sign in to follow this  
lostatneverseen

Dam when will DI optimize towns and cities

Even Fallout3/Oblivion is nowhere near as buggy as the OA AI is. In those games it has a tendancy to belly-up due to player behaviour (ie overpowering sneak, or similar).

Fallout 3, Oblivion, GTA IV, the lot ... all render a maximum of several dozen AI entities in a ~100/200 meter radius around you. Anything outside of this radius is reduced to little more than a regional statistic.

The "broken core AI" you're referencing is in fact the consequence of retaining an actual AI presence throughout ArmA's game world. If you want to be able to have 50+ simultaneously active and adaptive combatants in your game world, you'll have to accept the resulting impact on performance. If your system can't deliver the required CPU muscle, you'll start seeing AI blackouts.

Ok, that does make sense. So, the more powerful your CPU the better performance is with the AI when there are more of them... :)

or something like that?

Fallout 3, Oblivion, GTA IV, the lot ... all render a maximum of several dozen AI entities in a ~100/200 meter radius around you. Anything outside of this radius is reduced to little more than a regional statistic.

The "broken core AI" you're referencing is in fact the consequence of retaining an actual AI presence throughout ArmA's game world. If you want to be able to have 50+ simultaneously active and adaptive combatants in your game world, you'll have to accept the resulting impact on performance. If your system can't deliver the required CPU muscle, you'll start seeing AI blackouts.

I agree although some issues are kind of trivial, such as driving on roads. :rolleyes:

But to explain to everyone that you CAN have big cities, decent amounts of detail, and a good frame rate, just download baghdad iraq. Its possibly the biggest city map i've ever downloaded, with pretty damn good detail for its size, and runs great.

But I think he meant DI!

He even spelled Dam right! So many people have been adding an N to the end of it but obviously that's not how you spell it!!

I hope you are not a school teacher.