Sign in to follow this  
Defunkt

Improve 'Armaversum's Chernarus/Takistan crossover...

A combined A2/OA installation is vast and fascinating but one detail that takes the edge off its usefulness is that the respective BLUFOR forces are still largely tied to their original temperate/arid regions (USMC = Chernarus, USArmy = Takistan) simply because this is how they are, and/or their equipment is, textured. I would suggest that a very suitable example of Free DLC would be to issue within a patch the same units in opposite colour/camo schemes. I see this as especially appropriate for unpaid distribution because the effort on BI's part should be small in that they are simple recolours or in many/most cases the textures already exist from previous titles. A gesture of this type would I think go a long way toward smoothing the waters around Paid DLC (which I look forward to also). Examples might include...

Desert MARPAT Marines

Desert AAVs

Desert LAV-25s

Woodland Strykers

Woodland Bradleys

Woodland HMMWV (Crows)

Woodland Army Grenadier (Green T-Shirt)

...and I dare say the same principle could be applied to some OPFOR assets as well though I suspect fewer variations of these already exist in the BI archives. Nothing very new in this suggestion, I remember the desert marines being released unlooked-for in an ArmA1 patch and I'd love to see something similar A2/OA. It's an easy thing for the community to make for themselves but the more that is released 'officially' the less the multiplayer scene gets fragmented (by Addon Hell).

A combined A2/OA installation is vast and fascinating but one detail that takes the edge off its usefulness is that the respective BLUFOR forces are still largely tied to their original temperate/arid regions (USMC = Chernarus, USArmy = Takistan) simply because this is how they are, and/or their equipment is, textured. I would suggest that a very suitable example of Free DLC would be to issue within a patch the same units in opposite colour/camo schemes. I see this as especially appropriate for unpaid distribution because the effort on BI's part should be small in that they are simple recolours or in many/most cases the textures already exist from previous titles. A gesture of this type would I think go a long way toward smoothing the waters around Paid DLC (which I look forward to also). Examples might include...

Desert MARPAT Marines

Desert AAVs

Desert LAV-25s

Woodland Strykers

Woodland Bradleys

Woodland HMMWV (Crows)

Woodland Army Grenadier (Green T-Shirt)

...and I dare say the same principle could be applied to some OPFOR assets as well though I suspect fewer variations of these already exist in the BI archives. Nothing very new in this suggestion, I remember the desert marines being released unlooked-for in an ArmA1 patch and I'd love to see something similar A2/OA. It's an easy thing for the community to make for themselves but the more that is released 'officially' the less the multiplayer scene gets fragmented (by Addon Hell).

At the same time it would be nice if they also gave us the Russian forces with updated IR systems on the tanks and so on. I find this even more important for balancing warfare games (multiplayer). Right now the US is hugely overpowered.

At the same time it would be nice if they also gave us the Russian forces with updated IR systems on the tanks and so on. I find this even more important for balancing warfare games (multiplayer). Right now the US is hugely overpowered.

Indeed, many models in Russia have thermal imaging technology such as the T-90:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-90

First off all to improve the combines ArmAverse woukd be bring ALL units from ArmA II to the same functional standard as the OA units.

* MV22 and UH1Y have no FLIR and no RWS and no Countermeasures

* AH1Z has no FLIR

* USMC TOW HMMWV has no TWS

* M16,M4,G36 variants have still no working secondary sight (did even work in ArmA II Version 1.0 for G36 but was removed with 1.01)

* T90,BMP3,BTR90 is all the same as in ArmA II, no new functions like Rangefinder, FLIR on T90 or simply windage for Guns.

The "new" T-72 outperforms the T-90 now.

FLIR Signatures of all unchanged ARMA II units is plain black/white, no cooling or heating, no difference in thermal signature with hotter or cooler parts.

Im sure I could find more!

Im sure I could find more!

But are you proposing that BI should do all this for free? Given the massive amount of work involved I'm not sure that's a realistic expectation, certainly it's not something we're likely to see anytime soon.

But are you proposing that BI should do all this for free? Given the massive amount of work involved I'm not sure that's a realistic expectation, certainly it's not something we're likely to see anytime soon.
Yes I do, since thats what was promised...a addon to integrate ArmA II into Arrowhead. This was one of the promotion points and they already have my money for it.

I don't recall any promise and if there was one I think you've read too much into it. Things like TI are already better integrated than I think most of us expected.

Yes I do, since thats what was promised...a addon to integrate ArmA II into Arrowhead. This was one of the promotion points and they already have my money for it.

sorry to burst your bubble there mate, no one promised that all A2 content will be brought to OA specs.

Sure, there will be a patch in the foreseeable future levelling the differences between A2 and OA (A2 is better here in some regards), bringing the OA engine improvements to A2, BUT no one said that ALL a2 content will be upgraded (that would be a huge undertaking anyways).

Some of the improvements i am sure could be done by the community, some could be done if the source files would be available (or if snyde would be so kind to share some of his hex-editing know-how). Such a project would take a pretty long time though, no matter if the men behind it would be BI or modders.

I wouldn't mind even paying for such an official addon - one that brings all A2 content to the same level (features, etc.) as their A2:OA counterparts. I, too, would like to mix the various factions on various islands.