Sign in to follow this  
nettrucker

Installed OA - can't defrag my hardisk anymore.

Hi there

Yesterday I purchased OA retail version. I installed the game. Disk space available was still 20 GB, disk space requested was 8.5 GB. After patching to 1.52 I tried to defrag my C drive with windows standard defrag, but I received an error message that it was impossible to complete operation due to several files, all ArmA related. I had a look at the report but was unable to understand why the heck I wasn't able to defrag my drive.

I'm afraid that this might cause an impact on performance since my C drive now is badly fragmented.:mad:

Is there any free defrag programm that someone could recommend to me, that might be able to do the job.:confused:

Any help would be really appreciated.

thanks in advance

Kind regards

Hi HitmanFF

I'll gonna dl the programm suggested by you. I'll revert tomorrow evening, I won't be able to check it earlier.

Thanks for your advice.:D

Kind regards

Don't you need 15% free disk space to be able to defrag a drive?

So, unless your drive is 80 gigs or smaller, you're not going to be able to do so with only 12 gigs of free space, unless I read your post wrong.

However... interesting that with my install of OA, Windows defrag wouldn't touch the last 2% of the drive, and said it was still fragmented. Had to use Auslogic's Disk Defrag to finish it off, so Hitman's advice would definitely work.

I use Ultra Defragmenter, like it a lot as you can right click folders and just defrag them if you want to optimise your game folder in an instant :) Best of all it's open source :)

... and just to add to the confusion I use Ultimate Defrag (free version)

The main advantage with this one is that you can specify which files/programs go on the outside (fastest) part of the platter.

Hi there

thanks to all of you, for your kind advice. I opted for the Ultra Defragmenter for the fact that you can defrag also single folders. It did the trick.:bounce3:

@ Richey79

I was convinced that windows standard defragmenter needed only 10% free space avalaible, obviously I was wrong.

The topic can be closed.

Thanks once again for your help.:D

Kind regards

Just curious what OS and service pack you're using?

XP-home 32 bit service pack 3 5.1 2600 build 2600.