Sign in to follow this  
jw custom

Why does my OA vegetation look awful?

BIS claimed that they are working on adding a object LOD view distance option to the game, so hopefully that will help the vehicle LOD swapping. I, too, get tired of seeing a weird-looking blocky helicopter way up in the sky that looks like the rotors aren't attached.

JW_Custom

this has been a problem for along time, its the outcome of BIS's LOD handling within RV3 I dont think anything helps except for 150+ fillrate

going in zargabad seems to be pretty bad in terms of LOD poping, I will have to test when OA arrives for me.

and yes Heatseeker im also disappointed, the trees dont look very good and theres numerous reports of the performance not being much better even though theres way less objects and detail to render through.

I know LOD popping has always been a problem i'm not blind you know, i'm talking about trees having a very low detailed texture until your like 5-10m away from them and that looks AWFUL.

You can stand 20m from a tree and do a right mouse button zoom and see the LOD changes ... hmmm thats not right :j:

---------- Post added at 12:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 PM ----------

BIS claimed that they are working on adding a object LOD view distance option to the game, so hopefully that will help the vehicle LOD swapping. I, too, get tired of seeing a weird-looking blocky helicopter way up in the sky that looks like the rotors aren't attached.

I thought it was a object view distance slider they were working on... anyways i'm talking specifically about trees and bushes as they stand out as really poor quality when the have a very low detailed texture!

I dont know why they changed the green trees. They were normal performance hit. It was only the orange trees that used to have bad performance. They should have used the same trees from Arma2.

And I agree, the trees do look poor.

My vegetation looks normal in my game....maybe its a setting you chose?

Post a picture please, i would love to find out that it was my end that was the problem :)

Post a picture please, i would love to find out that it was my end that was the problem :)

It's not. I'm running everything maxed out now @6000 view distance. Chances are anyone not seeing the issue is running lower visuals so its not as apparent. It's also not happening all the time as it's at specific distances.

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 PM ----------

WOW! If this is true I will be in heaven! :yay: Do you happen to have the link where they said this?

My vegetation here looks good too.

About the LOD of the trees when zoom, there´s nothing to do, it´s engine related and normal to understand. Do you realize how it would hurt performance if the LOD of the trees and buildings where at their max even if you are far away?

About the LOD of the trees when zoom, there´s nothing to do, it´s engine related and normal to understand. Do you realize how it would hurt performance if the LOD of the trees and buildings where at their max even if you are far away?

I can run ArmA 2 just fine and it got A LOT more trees than OA. Please provide a picture of the good looking trees :)

Please re-read our posts (and my thread) and you'll see this isn't some plain old LOD issue. This doesn't happen all the time, can happen in situations where there is a lower amount of VRAM and sampling being done. It's a situation with specific shrubs and trees, not all the vegetation. Looking at 3000 meters of desert and one bush can have the LOD not swap in/out until you've zoomed in/out a bunch of times. But this may be helped or alleviated with the beta patch. Not sure yet.