Sign in to follow this  
Blake

Multiplayer mission cutscenes

Are you going to enable single-player style cutscene structure in Multiplayer too (with proper intros and outros).

Now the cutscene has to take place in the mission itself which creates much limitations. And not being able to skip the is one.

So is it big job to add same cutscene system to multiplayer maps too?

No, we do not - at least not in near future.

While I understand there may be some circumstances in which you want such cutscenes, we think we have more important things to do- and we are simply not able to implement any feature that could be nice.

There is also quite serious design issue regarding MP cutscenes - in single player anyone can skip intro / outro cutscene when he does not want to see them, which is hardly possible in MP.

In long term we foresee there will be a lot of convergence between SP and MP - but there is still a lot work before this happens.

Thanks for your swift answer. Maybe admin could skip them, voting skip etc. but it might be clumsy and not a major issue.

Let's hope MP and SP game modes come more closer to each other in the future. The gap is clearly visible in coop-converted campaign missions, which are basically useless because triggers are only activated by the main character...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Suma @ April 20 2002,19:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">No, we do not - at least not in near future.

While I understand there may be some circumstances in which you want such cutscenes, we think we have more important things to do- and we are simply not able to implement any feature that could be nice.

There is also quite serious design issue regarding MP cutscenes - in single player anyone can skip intro / outro cutscene when he does not want to see them, which is hardly possible in MP.

In long term we foresee there will be a lot of convergence between SP and MP - but there is still a lot work before this happens.<span id='postcolor'>

Sumas,

It's great to hear that your long-term plans are for convergence of SP missions and Co-op missions. When you say long-term I assume you mean past resistance? A patch for resistance perhaps or do you mean further out like OFP 2? This is something I'd really like to see. For those of us who play only coop, it's very painful to have to sit through an intro that we've seen too many times... but the intros are great for setting up the plot. Why not only allow the host/admin to skip the scene much like how only the host can actually start and stop the game? If other players want to watch the scene, just tell the host not to skip. Not difficult really. Host/Admin has control of everything else anyhow.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (badkarma @ April 22 2002,11:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Suma @ April 20 2002,19:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">No, we do not - at least not in near future.

In long term we foresee there will be a lot of convergence between SP and MP - but there is still a lot work before this happens.<span id='postcolor'>

Sumas,

It's great to hear that your long-term plans are for convergence of SP missions and Co-op missions. When you say long-term I assume you mean past resistance? A patch for resistance perhaps or do you mean further out like OFP 2? This is something I'd really like to see. For those of us who play only coop, it's very painful to have to sit through an intro that we've seen too many times... but the intros are great for setting up the plot. Why not only allow the host/admin to skip the scene much like how only the host can actually start and stop the game? If other players want to watch the scene, just tell the host not to skip. Not difficult really. Host/Admin has control of everything else anyhow.<span id='postcolor'>

And do u expect that the admin doesnt want to skip the intro if he have seen it 20 times?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">When you say long-term I assume you mean past resistance? <span id='postcolor'>

When I say long-term I mean you will have to wait maybe years for this.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Why not only allow the host/admin to skip the scene ...<span id='postcolor'>

As I said, besides of design issues this is also low priority - there are more important things to do now.

I think it could be scripted with a radio trigger somehow... The group leader would need to trigger it blindly by pressin 0-0-1 while the intro is playing, which would trigger an intro skipping script... Though then you couldnt re-use the radio trigger anymore I think so it would limit its use. And also if the units in the intro interact with the actual mission too then they all would somehow need to be put into the state of where they should be after the intro. This would be rather impossible for driving/flying units.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Kegetys @ April 22 2002,16:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think it could be scripted with a radio trigger somehow... The group leader would need to trigger it blindly by pressin 0-0-1 while the intro is playing, which would trigger an intro skipping script... Though then you couldnt re-use the radio trigger anymore I think so it would limit its use. And also if the units in the intro interact with the actual mission too then they all would somehow need to be put into the state of where they should be after the intro. This would be rather impossible for driving/flying units.<span id='postcolor'>

Daroo's mission Rescue in Regina had that option. But with the latest patch I don't think you can skip the intro. Maybe it would be possible to allow this again Suma? If the mission designer uses it to their discretion then they wouldn't use it in cutscenes where units are interacting with the actual mission. A few of Blake's Band of Comrades missions could use this... I think there's a BoC mission that requires unit interaction in the intro but allowing radio trigger in other missions would be nice.