Sign in to follow this  
JDog

Working on first addon, few questions as I go

and a 1m box also called "E1Top" in the view geometry LOD in the exact same position

Dont call multiple things the same. Do ONLY the memory points.

Try as a test

condition = 1;

onlyforplayer = true;

Are you sure "true" is defined?

I always tend to use 0 or 1, just in case.

don't think I can get lights working either.

Per the Kuznetsov config, to get them to work lights had to be another p3d with a completely different class. The addon is then setpos or attached to the main model.

Once you get past that hurdle, adding marker lights is easy.

class TAKR_H1: Car

{

vehicleClass="Ship";

scope=protected;

And just because it popped into my head... the classname of each piece doesn't have to be the same as the .p3d name for stuff to work does it?

No, the class name in the model.cfg is the only place the name of the p3d has to match.

Gnat;1727287']Are you sure "true" is defined?

I always tend to use 0 or 1' date=' just in case.[/quote']

Yea I actually took "true" from Mondkalb's tutorial and a few other configs I saw on the boards here.

Gnat;1727287']Per the Kuznetsov config' date=' to get them to work lights had to be another p3d with a completely different class. The addon is then setpos or attached to the main model.

Once you get past that hurdle, adding marker lights is easy.[/quote']

I should have mentioned, I did in fact see that in your config and tried it out. I also tried using class Air. I will admit though all I did was define the base class and change it on the section of the ship that I was trying to get the light to work on. Suppose I'll try making a totally seperate .p3d for just the lights. Grrr!

UPDATE: I made an entirely new class with an entirely new .p3d, used your TAKR_H1 as a template, fixing some things, tried it both with and without a czech name for the light, tried scope=protected and scope=1 (as the version of kuz i have says), and I even gave my computer a bath in some superstitious hope it would help lol. This game will simply not let me make any progress. This is becoming very disappointing. The worst part is the possibility it might be something obvious, amongst all the many things I've tried to make it work.

Edited by JDog

Alright I'm just posting everything relevant to the lights:

The config file relating to the p3d/class which houses the lights in its memory LOD:

class Car {
	class MarkerLights{}; // have tried with and without this
};

class JDG_carrier_nimlights : Car {
	vehicleClass = "Ship";
	scope = protected; // have tried "1" and "protected"
	side = 1;
	faction = "USMC";
	displayName = "Nimitz Lights";
	model = "\JDG_carrier\geo\nimlights.p3d";
	accuracy = 1000;
	armor = 3000;
	cost = 100000;
	irTarget = 0;
	hideUnitInfo = 1;
	crew = "Citizen2";
	maxSpeed = 0;
	transportSoldier = 0;
	fuelCapacity = 0;
	soundEngine[] = {"", 0.031623, 2.000000};
	soundEnviron[] = {"", 0.000562, 0.250000};

class MarkerLights {
		class RedBlinking {
			color[] = {1, 0.050000, 0.050000, 1};
			ambient[] = {0.200000, 0.020000, 0.020000, 1};
			name = "cerveny pozicni blik"; // have tried this and "TestLight"
			brightness = 0.010000;
			blinking = 1;
		};
	};
};

And the entirety of nimlights.p3d: just take my word that this vertex is positioned 2 feet above Elevator 2 and that I've tested it by setPos'ing myself to its position:

Capture-1.png?t=1282600497

And now I'm really confused about the userActions because even if I teleport myself to the exact position of the vertex named E2Top, after having checked in-game if the condition returns true (which it does), the following still doesn't do anything:

class UserActions
	{
		class Elevator2Down
		{
			displayName = "Elevator Down";
			position = "E2Top";
			radius = 7;
			condition = "this animationPhase ""ani_Elev2"" == 0";
			statement = "hint ""true""";
			//statement = "this animate [""ani_Elev1"",-10.15]";
			onlyforplayer = 0;
		};
	};

Edited by JDog

protected, true, false only work if you have this at the very start of your config

#define TEast 0
#define TWest 1
#define TGuerrila 2
#define TCivilian 3
#define TSideUnknown 4
#define TEnemy 5
#define TFriendly 6
#define TLogic 7

#define true 1
#define false 0

// type scope
#define private 0
#define protected 1
#define public 2

In the memory lod of nimlights.p3d make sure you have Property Names

class : vehicle

Sorry, cant see why your actions are not working.

Try going back to basics.

fyi, I'm only at my mod'ing computer for 4 more days, then away traveling for 3 weeks.

I got the actions working, but they're quite difficult to get to appear, even with the ViewGeometry setup. Perhaps I'll just model in a "control box" or something on each one for ease of access/discovery lol.

Update: I found an easier way that works far more reliably than userActions anyway, though may not be as classy. Just make a script that gives players the action based on their distance to the mem-point. Same thing I guess, but seems to work infinitely better when scripted. Whew-wee! 3 whole scripts for the catapult system to give them the action to lock in to the line they're sitting on and allow them to push the engines, the action to signal launch ready and get shot off, to check whether its in use/has been used recently and not let it be used for X seconds until ready again. It all works now, just gonna script in the JBD animations tomorrow.

Edited by JDog

I got the lights to work and position perfectly. I ended up not using Car, but rather the base class "CarrierPart" I had made (as I had done in response of Mondkalb's post you linked to), and simply added "Class MarkerLights = {};" to it so that all my pieces which inherited from it could use the lights. Without that declaration in it, my game crashed trying to spawn the lights.

New questions: Is it possible to make the objects that make up my carrier not-targetable? the irTarget doesn't seem to affect right-clicking to target. I looked through the cfgVehicles config reference but couldn't find anything. There's gotta be a way to...

Also, is it possible to move/translate individual memory points via a script? Like if I wanted to move a light in particular. Or toggle whether it's on/off.

Edited by JDog

I will have to make , a tutorial video on youtube like GNAT did

but more extended including things like ,

Texturing!! UV editor !

Modeling ! creating a simple house !

Config Scripting for the model

as soon as i can L = what did you use , GNAT =? Fraps? what " recording program ?

From basic training to advanced weapons hooah xD

I have another question which is I think the same as my last one 2 posts up, but now its more so for named selections in general and not just points in memory. I'm gonna go tinker with it right now but thought I'd ask anyway. Is it possible to setPos a selection?

[withdrawn]

Edited by JDog

Hate to dig this up but would rather not make a new post. Same two questions above, plus one. Even simple "no"s would be nice lol.

1) Any way at all to selectively move named selections via setPos/attachTo/etc and not just moving them up and down defined axes?

2) Possible to define sounds for animations in the config to automatically play when the animations do?

3) New Issue: When binarizing, some of the geometry LOD ceases to work or just disappears. It's mostly along the walkways: you can walk into the deck or through the outer railings. The boxes that make them up are thick enough, and closed/convex. O2 doesn't give any errors for them but after binarizing they don't work. Any ideas?

1) Dont understand. You may need to give example.

But if youre speaking "named sections" it pretty much means that commands you provide CANT do anything as its part of a larger model.

2) Not sure. I only know via UserActions calling the animation AND the sound script.

3) A problem in the way you generated the "ComponentXX" ?

Thanks Gnat,

1) I'm just trying to think of some way to accurately simulate an arrestor cable being caught. For instance if it was possible to use setPos or attachTo, I could just create a split halfway between each cable, and move those center vertices. I'm beginning to think it's not doable. I mean it's very doable, could even make a .rtm for it probably, but no way of actually making sure the "caught"/stretched part of the wire stayed with the plane, cuz the planes sometimes land at different positions depending on speed. Sorry I'm sure that's confusing.

2) Ok I'll just stick with how I'm doing it then I suppose.

3) I use Find Components, so it always starts with 01 and goes progressively upwards.

but no way of actually making sure the "caught"/stretched part of the wire stayed with the plane, cuz the planes sometimes land at different positions depending on speed.

Agree, a tough one indeed

Any solution would involve a complcated plane location tracking script.

3) I use Find Components, so it always starts with 01 and goes progressively upwards.

Do you delete those from time to time and refresh the auto-generation?

Gnat;1780827']Agree' date=' a tough one indeed

Any solution would involve a complcated plane location tracking script.

Do you delete those from time to time and refresh the auto-generation?[/quote']

1) Yea. I think it would be overly intensive of a script to make it happen. Would have to create 3 axes for that named selection to move along, and try to keep moving it "until" it matches where the plane is, like every frame. Don't think it's worth it, as cool as it would be.

2) Yes whenever I add/change/delete anything I click Find Components again. It seems to do it with the Nimitz as well. I make sure all the boxes that make up the geometry are at least 0.5m, usually 0.6 I'll take it to. I took it to 1.3m though and the problem persisted. It's weird. Check Faces doesn't bring up any errors either, and the only errors I get when binarizing are "too detailed shadow lod" cuz I haven't made one yet.