Sign in to follow this  
Panzer Jager

Infantry Hitpoint System explanation

After some thorough testing, I believe I've figured out the Infantry health system.

I'll explain it as best I can, and hopefully if I've got something wrong someone at BIS can clarify better.

There are 3 factors to how much damage Infantry take:

1) Hit value of ammunition

2) Range at which they are hit (-> velocity of projectile)

3) Armour protection of Soldier

In short:

-All humans have somewhere near 7-8 hitpoints in the body.

-Humans have varying armour, such as 80% or 85%, but standard Soldiers have a value of 1.0 -> 100% armour.

-If armour is 80% at a location, then health is 0.8 * whatever the default hitpoint for that location is. The handling of health is likely very complex.

So if you're shooting a Soldier with a Makarov at very close range, you will hit him for 6, which means you'll need 2 good hits on the body to kill him. If a shot misses and hits an arm (happens often) you may need more than 2.

Different parts of the body have different armour ratios, such as the head, hands, and legs, but these sometimes vary based on the Infantry type as well, although not extremely. I'm not sure if different parts of the body have different underlying health though.

Edited by Panzer Jager

Each part of the body has hitpoints and each soldier has a global hitpoint value. When you shoot a body part, you do damage to that part plus some damage to the global hitpoints at some ratio depending on the body part hit. Defeating the hitpoints of the legs makes you unable to walk, and damage to the arms causes difficulties aiming.

so, these values should be tweekable so that the armor can be increased?

i dont know the capabilities of russian body armor and SAPI plates, but US plates can withstand multiple hits from 7.62x39 AP rounds with out penetrations.

it annoys me to no end that US troops can be killed by shooting them in the chest with a 9mm 1 or 2 times

I guess this is one of those things that BIS determined was getting rid of the "fun" or "playability" so they allow pistols to kill armored targets.

question for you guys who know what your talking about: are there specific points on a model that are armored, or is it a whole "section"?

for example the head. is it simply "head armor=x", or does the game allow for a helmet to protect appropriately?

shoot him in the face, he is KIA or incap, but hit the helmet, and no damage

thanks for explaining to us though! very good info

Edited by That guy

for example the head. is it simply "head armor=x", or does the game allow for a helmet to protect appropriately?

shoot him in the face, he is KIA or incap, but hit the helmet, and no damage

I'm not sure 100%, but I feel the face is included with head armour, as I've hit targets multiple times in the head (confirmed hits at long range with various 5.56x45 scoped rifles) and failed to kill them.

so, these values should be tweekable so that the armor can be increased?

i dont know the capabilities of russian body armor and SAPI plates, but US plates can withstand multiple hits from 7.62x39 AP rounds with out penetrations.

it annoys me to no end that US troops can be killed by shooting them in the chest with a 9mm 1 or 2 times

If you wanted to make a mod, these values can be tweaked by using the code in Characters2 pbo.

Also, an M9 should take 2 hits minimum to kill a soldier with body shots, but that may not apply to campaign. :p

Edited by Panzer Jager

I've updated the first post - initially I thought that bullet penetration applied to body armour, but after more investigation it appears penetration only applies to things like vehicles - and instead, body armour is a modifier to the soldier's health.