Sign in to follow this  
havocsquad

Vote on favorite war hero, fiction or real

I was curious about what War Heroes were your most favorite.  Real or Fiction.

Please leave a short reason why you feel they are the best of all these heroes.

Much Appreciated

Winston Churchill for one, and King Alfred the Great of England for another. Churchill fought in the boer war, escaped from a POW camp and went on to lead us to victory during the second world war.

And Alfred the Great defeated the Danes and saved us all, so hes a star smile.gif

Alexander the Great:

The only one who has ever conqured Afganistan

Those men are mere shadows compared to Robert Blair (Paddy) Mayne!

Robert (Paddy) Blair Mayne, who came from Newtonards in Northern Ireland, became the most decorated soldier of WW2 and was instrumental with David Stirling in creating the Special Air Service. His wartime exploits were legendary, including airfield attacks and daring raids deep behind the German lines.

R.B.Mayne was commissioned into the 5th Light Anti-Aircraft Battery on the 6th of March 1939, but when war was declared the 5th Light sailed for Egypt without him.

He transferred to the Royal Ulster Rifles, The Cameronians, and then the 11th Scottish Commando who were stationed at Lamlash on the Isle of Arran.

On January 31st 1941 he sailed with 11th scot commando to Kabrit which was near Genefa on the Bitter lakes south of the Suez Canal. After further training they then moved to Cyprus to become part of Layforce under the command of Brigadier Robert Laycock.

On June 3rd 1941 400 men sailed for Syria to take part in the Litani River Raid. Due to an error some of them landed at the wrong point and came under fierce enemy fire. Disregarding this Lt Mayne pushed on across the beach and attacked enemy personel and transport some 600yds further on, capturing about 40 enemy soldiers and 2 M.G.s. His small section suffered 2 casualties who were left to guard the prisoners. With a further 15 men he pressed on attacking and destroying an open air H.Q. area. After following the landlines they again attacked enemy positions capturing 4 M.G.s 2L.M.G.s 2 mortars and some 50 enemy soldiers. Lt Mayne then led his small section back through the Australian lines to safety. This action was not without its own losses, Colonel Pedder the C/O and 60 men were K.I.A.

For his actions during the Litani River Raid Lt Robert Blair Mayne was Mentioned in Dispatches.

The Nazi Regime hated him so much that Hitler personally put a reward on his head "Dead or Alive". He was the greatest soldier the British army has ever seen.

Nice to know someone good came out of N. Ireland. (Appart from me of course.)

For me, well, I have allot of respect for Delta Snipers Master Sergeant Garry Gordon and Sergeant First Class Randy Shughart. If you've read Black Hawk Down you'll know who I'm talking about. These two men went in alone to secure the crash site of Super Six Four probibly knowing full well they were unlikely to make it out alive.

They were both posthumanously (Spelling?) awarded the Medal of Honour. They gave their lives so that others would have a chance to survive, thats a hero.

Since niether of these two were choices, my "other" vote will count for both of them

Vasili Zaitsev and Carlos Hathcock

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KingBeast @ April 17 2002,23:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And Alfred the Great defeated the Danes and saved us all, so hes a star smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I would have to say

Gustav Vasa who defeated the Danes and saved us all, so hes a star too smile.gif

^ of course, that was for my fictional war hero.

My favorite real one would probably Sgt Alvin York, from the 82nd Division, All Americans. He captured almost 100 men, several officers, and a strongpoint with several machine guns, with only 6 or 7 guys to help him out.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ April 18 2002,01:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KingBeast @ April 17 2002,23:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And Alfred the Great defeated the Danes and saved us all, so hes a star smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I would have to say

Gustav Vasa who defeated the Danes and saved us all, so hes a star too smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Damn, your country has a serious Dane problem. I suggest calling Terminex

biggrin.gif

Audie Murphy and Carlos Hathcock.

I prefer soldiers that were real and actually participated in combat. Read the book "Marine Sniper" and Gunny Hathcock will be your hero too. He was one hell of a man.

museum4.jpg

my heros are bob and his robot RC9-800.

RC9 can pleasure bob sexually in 43 different ways and thats without using his mouth, so bob never has to leave.. just sit in his room all day fucking his robot and playing everquest. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Wobble @ April 18 2002,03:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">museum4.jpg

my heros are bob and his robot RC9-800.

RC9 can pleasure bob sexually in 43 different ways and thats without using his mouth, so bob never has to leave.. just sit in his room all day fucking his robot and playing everquest. biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Sounds fun! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (USSoldier11B @ April 18 2002,03:08)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Audie Murphy and Carlos Hathcock.

I prefer soldiers that were real and actually participated in combat. Read the book "Marine Sniper" and Gunny Hathcock will be your hero too. He was one hell of a man.<span id='postcolor'>

Gunny Hathcock was the sniper who basically destroyed a whole company of NVA right? As I recall, he shot the point man, shot the last man, then picked off anyone who poked their head out of the rice paddy, right?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">RC9 can pleasure bob sexually in 43 different ways and thats without using his mouth, so bob never has to leave.. just sit in his room all day fucking his robot and playing everquest<span id='postcolor'>

Gwhahahahaha!

Robot is also licenced PhD is pschotherapy. Talks Bob out of suicide when other Everquest player steals all his treasure.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Gunny Hathcock was the sniper who basically destroyed a whole company of NVA right? As I recall, he shot the point man, shot the last man, then picked off anyone who poked their head out of the rice paddy, right?<span id='postcolor'>

Correct. He also scope an M-2 machine gun and was skilled enough to make it fire one shot at a time. i.e. He saw a VC kid on a bicycle carrying a load of weapons. He sniped the fork of the bike rather than killing the kid. He also crawled for 3 days with 1 canteen of water to assassinate an NVA general. Many other outrageous exploits... Read book.

I REALLY need to get that book!..............Yeah, Audie murphy was going to be my second one, but i cant quite remember his story.

Correct me if i'm wrong.

Didnt he win the congressional medal of honor for jumping on to a burning tank and fending off two German tanks and some infantry with the Browning .50 cal mounted on top? I swear thats how i heard it.

José Martí, one of the very few Cuban national heroes to be idolized by both the communists and the Cuban exiles (me included...dunno if you can call really me an exile since i've gone back as a tourist and I still hold citizenship though...).

He was born in Cuba of Spanish descent and he fought against Spain in Cuba's war of independence. He was killed in battle in 1895 as he lead a calvary charge against a Spanish column, by three bullets to his chest. He was also one of the countries greatest poets and writers (Our version of Shakespeare I guess, even though I can't stand Shakespeare, no offense to anyone). His writtings are like the Bible to me. Ironically, just as they say that the Bible can even be used for the devil's purposes, his writtings are used as propaganda by both the Castro regime and the exiles.

Poor Eisenhower. (feeling sorry for Dwightie). Poor poor Eisenhower.

Not much of a historian myself, but I know quite a bit about Erwin Rommel. Even today he's seen as the founding father of modern tank warfare. Him and his Afrika Korps used some brilliant strategies.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Aculaud @ April 18 2002,04:08)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Didnt he win the congressional medal of honor for jumping on to a burning tank and fending off two German tanks and some infantry with the Browning .50 cal mounted on top? I swear thats how i heard it.<span id='postcolor'>

"Some infantry"

About a company's worth.

But he was also the most highly decorated soldier in the US Army. He served in North Africa, Sicily, Italy, and France

lol, yeah iv been having a bit of an identity crisis lately. I think iv settled on something i like though.

While we're on the subject of Sigs, this is up for grabs if anyone wants it:

banner2.jpg

I made it recently, but as you can see, i went a different direction.

Nothing beats Rambo's bodycount biggrin.gif

Yeah, I voted Rambo as well. I've never seen any of these other guys take out dozens of Vietnamese with a M-60 held in one hand. biggrin.gif

I voted for Alexander the Great, because he managed to conquer nearly all of the former known ancient world. Impressive for a guy of such a young age.

I know now, I`ve done something wrong  tounge.gif