Sign in to follow this  
Rommel

Adjustable Nightvision

Adjustable Nightvision in A2:OA  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Adjustable Nightvision in A2:OA

• Addon

We want to keep this as a addon thing (guaranteed for each release of ArmA so far), or should it be implemented by default?

Figured I'd throw in a poll for the hell of it; I didn't want to put a feature request unless I knew it was generally wanted...

It depends on other features of OA what I want:

1) Can you aim using NVGs or do you have to rely on lasers and night optics? If you can aim, there are no negatives associated with using NVGs and the ACE way is just waaaay to convenient imho.

2) Can you cause actual washouts of the device? This never happens with ACE for three reasons: The NVG is adjustable, and the brightness of artillery flares are too weak, and the ""internals" of NVGs seems to limit the effect of washout anyway. Vanilla behavior is better, but far from perfect.

3) OA seems to manage stars better, and hopefully reduce the impact of the sky in its HDR calculations, or use a heavily blurred screen as input for HDR calculations. But the "reach" is still too good, and also the contrast seems a bit on the high side.

Only if NVGs could be portrayed properly, and not be the super goggles they currently are, would I like to have adjustable NVGs by default. Or if they become super goggles by allowing adjustable gain, we should be able to put on additional color correction post processing, but that is currently not possible (afaik).

NVGs are now a "fighting tool" instead of a "navigational tool". I like the idea of having to use battlefield illumination instead of relying on NVGs for fighting, but (depending on available light) "getting there" may sometimes seem impossible without them, so I'm reluctant to remove them from missions too (unless for old school missions, before NVGs was available).

well realistically, the PVS7 and 14 dont have such a feature...

and there are ALOT of annoyances that are not simulated which make them (as Carl said) super goggles. i would like to see the goggles "nerfd" to a more realistic level, as opposed to making them more useful.

i would love to have the high res, weightless, not very restrictive, non-depth perception ruining, super goggles from the future that are portrayed in game in reality :D

Yeah, the NVGs in the game are currently not anywhere near realistic no matter how you look at it. Heck, you even have the same goggles for Russians and Americans... The worst things are that you can see very far away and that you can aim any weapon sight while using them. But that probably deserves its own thread.

I for one think the Adjustable Nightvision and the Adjustable bright light on eyes Should be options, as an AddOn or as an optional setting!

These two features, in my opinion, as default destroy completely the pleasure i have in this game.

I understand BI tried to simulate it as in real life but, In My Opinion, it is too exaggerated, sensitive and destroys a lot of fun for me. I would prefer to have it simple like in OFP or have an option for it with a sensitive scale if possible.