Sign in to follow this  
Grey Fox

Ai's stupidest moments

Well when I was in a T80 as the driver my commander told the gunner to target all the infantry that had no AT weapons. This is all very well to destroy the enemy the point is where is the logic in using a sabot round on one man when their are 2 Abrams about 100 metres in front of you looking right at you? Sure my platoon was somewhere behind us their LOS to the Abrams were blocked but wouldn't it be more sound to target the armor first? Or at least use the machine gun on infantry so that if an armored threat comes up you can deal with it at once? I know one T80 Vs 2 Abrams is useless but it would help the rest of the platoon if one of the M1A1s were damaged a bit.

In a mission I'm making for a campaign, my squad and I start out unarmed (captured) in a fenced in area. By the gate I had placed an emty UAZ and a couple guards. When the rescue party arrives we head for the gate. But the AI guys won't follow me. So I give them a move command, to move over by the gate..and I get "Negative" from them all...All of the guards are dead...So I delete the Empty UAZ, now they follow me no problem. Scared of an empty Car when they're unarmed, but they'll charge a into a hail of bullets if you give them a gun. confused.gif

Yeah. AI should prioritize despite their skill level. Even the dumbest tank commander knows that he should engage enemy tanks first, then enemy AT soldiers, then the rest. That is, if he can propertly identify them.

But they seem to not make any priority of targets at all. Sometimes my gunner wastes 200 bullets trying to catch a running soldier 500 meters away.. I mean could he try and shoot a bit in front of him to compensate for the bullet speed/soldier running speed ? and while he spent 20 seconds shooting him, I had an RPG soldier unload all 3 rockets into me..

I got so mad I had the gunner reload HEAT and blow that RPG mofo back into the stone age.

On another topic. I think RPGs and LAWs are flawed. They seem to have no limit on their range. AT4/Carl Gustav rocket will fly straight for about 300 meters, but then the rocket fuel begins to get exhausted and the rocket starts going off in a random direction. This is actually very realistic.

But with RPG/LAW the rocket seems to have unlimited fuel, and will only be dragged to the ground by gravity a little. So if you see a tank 4 kilometers away, and can aim propertly above it, the LAW will hit it. It's just pathetic.

Honestly, I think in Veteran mode, LAW should have limited rocket fuel where once it's exhausted the rocket flies off in a random direction (just like AT4/Carl Gustav). LAW should also not be reloadable in Veteran. It's very unrealistic to see a soldier armed with 4 LAW rockets taking out a platoon of M113s.

I mean this mere fact makes driving the M113/Bradleys useless, as you have a higher fatality rate while inside of them than when being on foot.

So if on Veteran LAW/RPG launchers were disposable 1-rocket systems (just like AT4s/Carl Gustavs), then people would take a lot more aim before they actually shoot it.

AI in armor are always dumb. half the time my guys will be shooting the damn guns on semi-auto while we get shot to hell because they can't seem to hold down the trigger. thank god for manual fire

couple of facts:

1. LAW-66 has no fuel! it can fly upto 1000 meters and thats all, and thats why we dont train our ppl to use LAW for over 200 m.

2. RPG's have self destruct mechanism that causes them to blow after ~920 meters. quite spectacular!

3. we have special carrying system for LAW men, that contains between 3-5 LAW's.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (scout @ April 17 2002,13:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">couple of facts:

1. LAW-66 has no fuel! it can fly upto 1000 meters and thats all, and thats why we dont train our ppl to use LAW for over 200 m.

2. RPG's have self destruct mechanism that causes them to blow after ~920 meters. quite spectacular!

3. we have special carrying system for LAW men, that contains between 3-5 LAW's.<span id='postcolor'>

If it has no fuel how does it fly ? What propellant does it use ?

I just don't like the fact that APCs are rendered completely useless as they have far too many counter units in the game.

How common are AT soldiers in modern Squads/Platoons ?

It would seem that if one LAW rocket can completely demolish an APC and kill all inside it, then why do armies even use APCs so often ? Doesn't it put men inside at greater risk than if they were on foot ?

okay, ill try to answer the best ican:

1. LAW-66 has a charge not unlike those of the artilery which hurls it to a short range. thats why its not affected by wind but on the other hand the range is quite short.

the HEAT warhead doesnt count on speed so that doesn matter how fast the missile will hit.

2. the AT component changes between the armies, but i can say we have 1-2 AT weapons a squad (not counting m-203). its good against armoured vehicles but also against fortifications too.

some armies have ATGM's on the platoon or company level.

APC's are essentially armoured busses, u drive to the battle field and get out of them 1-3 klicks before the objective.

very rarely do u use them to assault a target, and in such event u shoot alot and pray to arrive safe.

in our military some units have HAPC which is another story entirely, now these bastards will drive u right into the enemy's bunker bed!

If APCs are harldy used for assault, then why does the Bradley have so many guns ? M. Gun(s), Cannon, TOW launchers.

ok.

the answer has couple of elements.

1. recon - bradley's are superbly adapted for force recon job. heavy firepower, agility, and the ability to cross terrain.

thats a good use of them and u ahve a dedicated version 4 it the M3

2. support - u leave 2-3 men in the vehicle, and thats missed manpower, its not exploited properly.

u can use the empty vehicles for a heavy support platoon that can lay fire from long ranges, while keeping them out of the range of man portable AT's and giving them a chance to survive against the oppostion ATGM's and tanks.

3. if u get to assault a target, u want to do it with gun blazing! so the enemy wont even think about raising its head!

4. the main problem with the M2 is a small passanger capacity, which is why many USArmy commanders are thinking aloud of getting back the old M113.

5. if u want a vehicle for assault u have to use HAPC, preferably without any TOW's or such because they take up space.

6. the best formation for a mech company is three platoons of HAPC and 1 support platoon of M3. thats the best formation

if u remeber the mission i the original campaign that u r sent torescue the officer?

how much time does the APC survives there? 10 secs? 30 secs max? that all uve gotta look at!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">2. the AT component changes between the armies, but i can say we have 1-2 AT weapons a squad<span id='postcolor'>

In the Swedish army at least half the members of each infantry squad carries a Bofors LAW Type 86 (discarded after use)

Have a look at

'The AT-weapons part' of Svante Wendels unofficial Swedish-army site' (in english)

LOL! i liked the pic of tyhe guy with is weapon set aside......right........... biggrin.gif

anyway, what i meant is that there are 1-2 dedicated AT teams in every squad. everyone is issued a LAW-66 beside other weapons.

Regarding the use of APC, I know that the russian doctrine was to send BMP filled with shock troops on the front line, in order to breach the defences before the heavy armor arrived. This allowed the armor to exploit the breach at full effectiveness, but with quite heavy losses...

But I believe that russkies didn't care wink.gif

On the other hand, their BMP or HAPC were far more protected than ours, because of this doctrine. If you look at the M113 or M2, you'll see that they are protected only against small arms, not AT weapons.

BMP isnt armoured for this kind of action. it wont stand 0.5 burst. and whats more it has a layer of benzine in the armour for NBC protection, and for toasting the troops! biggrin.gif

Ok on the 2nd resistance mission the one where u have to drive a truck through roadblocks at the start. I drove around the second roadblock and carried on not letting them disembark even though he was screaming You idiot stick to the road. I got to the castle with no casualties. They didnt care, I stood outside quite puzzled as my squad obviously following their last waypoint started down the hill to the roadblock where a scripted sequence should have occured, all the while being strafed by a hind. I was just shooting into the air to try to get the guards attention to take me to their leader. The rest of the squad eventually got down to the roadblock with most dead. They then said "is that an officer? I fear it is. Men grab your weapons and prepare to fight!" Then then went through the whole dialogue thing and said "We need to make it to the castle" (Erm u were there 5 mins ago) so after running down the hill they just turned around and went up again. When they all died half way up Armstrong said I gotta make it on me own. At this point the guards infront of me sprang into life and said "Come, we will take you to Slava." LOL LOL LOL

Also bailing out as pilot and your gunner doesent care.

As of 1.46 I have been noticing something really stupid for the AI. When they eject out of aircraft on my game they sometimes aren't attached to their parachutes! Anyone else have this problem? I did an airborne Chinook jump and half my squad died that way. Also I once hit a Hind with a LAW and the crew bailed and basically fell 200m to their deaths.

Doesnt it seem like AI is getting dumber by every upgrade?

Okay, I downloaded the new island from OFP Internals and decide to fly around on it. Well, I put at the edge me and a couple A-10s. So were flying for a bit then we come to the wall. Well, Im flying a little ways behind them and all of the sudden i seen one by one them smacking into the wall. I mean AI has never seen this but you would think that they would have the knowledge (programming) to pull up right before they hit the ground or something. It was the same thing with Helicopters Flown by AI. Head first into the edge.

--------------------

One time i was with a law soilder and there was a jeep coming down the road i was beside him and i told him to fire he waited up it was up in our faces and we both die like he was RIGHT in front of the drving jeep then he shot all 3 of us died lol one time was shooting at a squad of soilders with my hk 3 of my dumb ai teammates go in to my fire and then the other bots just kill me  tounge.gif

OH NO, 1 IS DOWN...

OH NO, 1 IS DOWN...

OH NO, 1 IS DOWN...

OH NO, 1 IS DOWN...

OH NO, 1 IS DOWN...

OH NO, 1 IS DOWN...

OH NO, 1 IS DOWN...

OH NO, 1 IS DOWN...

Heh....I'm flattered that my death used to have such an emotional impact on my teammates, but I'm sure as hell glad it got fixed smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jester983 @ April 18 2002,02:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Doesnt it seem like AI is getting dumber by every upgrade?

Okay, I downloaded the new island from OFP Internals and decide to fly around on it. Well, I put at the edge me and a couple A-10s. So were flying for a bit then we come to the wall. Well, Im flying a little ways behind them and all of the sudden i seen one by one them smacking into the wall. I mean AI has never seen this but you would think that they would have the knowledge (programming) to pull up right before they hit the ground or something. It was the same thing with Helicopters Flown by AI. Head first into the edge.

--------------------<span id='postcolor'>

That's the map being buggy, not the AI.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jester983 @ April 18 2002,02:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I mean AI has never seen this but you would think that they would have the knowledge (programming) to pull up right before they hit the ground or something. It was the same thing with Helicopters Flown by AI. Head first into the edge.<span id='postcolor'>

That sounds more like a problem with the terrain than a problem with the AI, in all fairness BIS didn't design OFP for us to go in and create new terrain, so perhaps they hardcoded some geographical knowledge of the stock islands into the AI, and they are unable to handle anything different.

Okay I have a question. I was playing a CO Op mission with some of my squad and we told our friend who was a LAW soldier to shoot the fuel station because we were too lazy to go inspect what was down there. Well, he shot the LAW and the next thing i know is, I hear bullets wizzing past my head and into his. We cant figure out why he was shot. Is it because the fuel station (like the one by the everon airport) is considered civilian or is it just a freak accident?

probably considered civilian. before 1.46 my squad would shoot me for blowing up empty barrels confused.gif

I just though of a great Oxymoron: "Artificial Intelligence! tounge.gif (Is that really an oxymoron?)

Anyway anyone else have AI parachute problems. It was only hilarious the first 5 times and now my missions are ever so slightly harder to play.