Sign in to follow this  
Jelliz

setobjecttexture for guns and units

hi, my contribution to the suggestions forum here would be to add the setobjecttexture functionality for guns and units. This would be so that mission makers can easily change the camo on the guns and units without the need for addons.

As seen in the picture below is how it looks on the avenger with the cdf camo(uniform camo that is)

arma22010050600490510.jpg

something like this would be greatly appreciated, and would simplify many(ok, maybe just some) aspects of mission making(and releasing).

Many models already make use of the "hiddenSelectionsTextures[]" Command. (i think that the right one...

This allows you to quickly adjust the texture for that part of the model.

Check out the Biki For its format and have a troll thru the various vehicle config files to see what is using it already.

its only vehicles and some units(ghille units and citizen) with hiddenselections, already checked the configs. Would be nice to set camo for atleast for the weapons, without making an addon out of it, it would be easier with mission design and for those who want to play the mission without having to download a wide range of addons. AKs-74u with woodland camo for example would be downright awesome.

I'd vote for this over at the community tracker

Ok, second option would be to make your own hidden sections ?

Most of the vehicles etc have a similar naming scheme so it shouldn't be to hard to work out.

Then you only need little config files I guess ?

This is a very good idea, but it'd also have to add functionality to recognize the gun so that the texture can be applied. E.g. using "primaryweapon unit" is just going to produce a string, not a unique ID for that particular weapon - and we wouldn't want a global setting which just makes ALL weapons look in a particular way do we?

Here's the problem: although the game engine can remember stuff like the amount of bullets in a weapon dropped on the ground, it can't and doesn't do that when the weapon is placed in a crate (and there's, still, no way to access a crate's inventory). Would giving a weapon a different paintjob mean that it'd a) lose the texture when dropped/put in a crate or b) take up a whole new space in the crate (e.g. "M16A4 - 6", "M16A4 Green - 1")? I don't know how the engine would handle that. Anyway, it's not quite as simple as setObjectTexture, unfortunately.

But it's a very good idea, one that I'd support 100%, if doable!

Regards,

Wolfrug