wraith_v

ATTN NOOBIES! - New to ArmA II or OA - Here's the place for your questions

Can someone please tell me what is the difference between ArmA 2 and ArmA 2AO if I just get ArmA 2AO do I miss out on something in ArmA 2 or is it all contained in ArmA 2AO?

Thank you

if you can get the Combined operations pack. that way you get arma 2 and OA for only 10 dollars more.

Can someone tell me how to give my guys weapons to start with in the editor? I just dowloaded a weapons mod and I want my units to have the guns in my mission.

Put this in it's init:

removeAllWeapons this; {this addMagazine "ClassNameOfMag"} forEach [1,2,3,4,5,6]; this addWeapon "ClassNameOfWeapon";

That will give you 6 magazines and a weapon. You should be able to find the classnames to use in the weapon mod's documentation. Also, any self respecting weapons mod will include an ammobox filled with the new weapons so check for that under Empty -> Ammo

nope doesn't work. in the init: do I put 30Rnd. STANAG for class name of mag and M4A1 ACOG for class name of weapon?

I assume you mean RH's new M4/M16 pack? It's taking forever to download, but the classnames to use are listed in the ReadMe.txt file.

Finally downloaded (after I watched House and passed out, but that's beside the point) this should give you a RH M4A1 with ACOG and 6 mags:

removeAllWeapons this; {this addMagazine "30Rnd_556x45_Stanag"} forEach [1,2,3,4,5,6]; this addWeapon "RH_m4a1acog";

I've just got Arma2: CO and I'm trying to create some practice missions in the editor.

Under "OPFOR", whatever location I choose (even Chernarus), my only options are Russia, Insurgent, Takistani Army, and Takistani Militia. Under "Independent" it is similar--only Guerillas, PMC, Takistani Locals, and UNO.

What am I missing?

well, you can play as any side, other than that, i'm not sure what you mean by your question HHPP...

(to play on another side than the us, select the side you want to play, place a unit, and select it as player )

well, you can play as any side, other than that, i'm not sure what you mean by your question HHPP...

That I don't have the option to place Chernarus-native forces (ChDKZ, NAPA guerillas, etc.), even on Chernarus. I can only place Russian or Takistani forces.

Under "OPFOR", whatever location I choose (even Chernarus), my only options are Russia, Insurgent, Takistani Army, and Takistani Militia. Under "Independent" it is similar--only Guerillas, PMC, Takistani Locals, and UNO.

What am I missing?

That I don't have the option to place Chernarus-native forces (ChDKZ, NAPA guerillas, etc.), even on Chernarus. I can only place Russian or Takistani forces.

NAPA are Independent -> Guerrillas

ChDKZ are OPFOR -> Insurgents

You have everything. :)

:confused: I have a question regarding the m249 TWS bullet drop compensation dots. At what ranges are they zeroed for? Rough ASCII version below:

|
              |
       ______ . ______       (1)
              .              (2)

.              (3)

.              (4)

.              (5)

I've been trying to range it out on my own in the editor, but it's very hard to see bullet splash out past 500M. So far I believe #1 is 300m, #2 400m, #3 600m. I thought #3 would be 500, but splash at 500M hits in between #2 & #3. Are #4 & #5 800M and 1kM?

Thanks for your help!

Edited by WingmanSR

can a javelin be fired into a building? or only at armor?

This was my noob Q as well.

I've got some questions regarding mods.

Is it possible to use those nice custom uniforms and weapons on any server or does it depend on the server config?

How can I change my Uniform to a custom one (not just the head)?

thx

Mods required is based on mission, not server. So if the MISSION was designed using nice custom uniforms and weapons both the server and the clients would need to have that mod loaded in order to connect.

There are replacement configs however, which would be a mod with a new configuration that replaces existing content with your custom content. So for example you could replace US Soldiers with the same type of soldiers using custom uniforms/models or replace the BIS M-16 with a different model M-16.

For example the US Army Rangers mod includes replacement files to replace the US Army default troops with these awesome new Ranger models.

Mods required is based on mission, not server. So if the MISSION was designed using nice custom uniforms and weapons both the server and the clients would need to have that mod loaded in order to connect.

There are replacement configs however, which would be a mod with a new configuration that replaces existing content with your custom content. So for example you could replace US Soldiers with the same type of soldiers using custom uniforms/models or replace the BIS M-16 with a different model M-16.

For example the US Army Rangers mod includes replacement files to replace the US Army default troops with these awesome new Ranger models.

Thx for the clarification.

I played on some servers before with custom headgear from RH mercs set configured in my profile.

Now I get suddenly a message on the same servers stating that the keys are not accepted.

Did they change the configuration or what is going on?

I would like to use custom outfits in MP games.

Edited by Sira

Yeah, the key/bisign is a way or making sure that only unmodified addons are used on a server. Each proper addon will include *.bisign files for each PBO in them as well as a key file that's tied to them. The server loads the key and compares it to the bisign of addons that a client are using, if they don't match (as in the contents have been changed) then the server won't let you on.

This helps prevent people from connecting with harmful or cheater addons that will disrupt gameplay. Sounds like your server just turned on that feature so you'll either have to do without the mods or ask your server admin to load the key files for the mods you want to play with.

thx a lot!

Edited by Sira

Question for this noob!

There's a guy selling a copy of Arma 2 on eBay. He says he tried to install it but his computer didn't have the right video card. If he used the serial number, can I still use it? I remember buying a MMORPG and I reinstalled it on another computer I got after my other broke, and the code wasn't accepted. I just don't want to buy it and have it not work. The auction is ending in 1 day, so please reply!!!

I believe as long as he provides the key with the game, you should be alright to run it. If not then it could be... :at647:

At first, when I saw no player marker on the map, I though this is because of the realism. You still have the gps.

But than, in the first campaign it says, that the arrow in a red circle (or something similar?) represents you. So, now, is my not displaying of the markers, neither for me or my squad, a bug or a feature or an option?

Hey guys, I'm a pretty big newb to ArmA II and the whole mil-sim genre as a whole - I was wondering: What, in your opinions, is the best way to get the more complex stuff down without annoying anyone in Multiplayer?

I mean, I've got a fair few missions into the Campaign, but I know I'm not doing well at all, and I've got a feeling I don't even understand half of it.

I've skimmed that ShackTac guide, and know that practising Helos is as simple as going into the armoury, but what's the best way to become a better infantryman without joining some sort of clan?