Sign in to follow this  
=kct=blackmamba

CPU temps (curious)

hy i just like to know the CPU temps while playing ARMA 2.

why i like to know is i think my cpu is getting to hot when im ingame.

when my system is idle my cpu temp is abouth 34 degrees celsius,

but when i quit ARMA 2 my temps are around 58 degrees celsius.

wich is 3 degrees beneath the maximum operating temperature.

now the thermal paste is factory applied to the CPU,

and i tought it was allot of thermal paste (the whole CPU was covered with it).

and not even a thin layer, so i think its the thermal paste causing my overheating problem.

i think this is much to hot with an opencase system (see my signature)

so now im curious abouth CPU temps of u guys and maybe some of u have an explanation if i didnt allready answered the question myself :)

any how tommorow im going to re apply the thermal paste and see wat happens....

I wouldn't worry about 58 deg C. The maximum operating temp for most CPU's now days is 100 deg C, but I would get worried if it hit 90. Anything around or under 70 deg C is perfrectly safe. While playing Arma 2 I sit at around 65 deg C.

Arma 2 being such a CPU hog pushes the CPU harder than my other games, so it's also a good quick way to test an overclock.

anything under 60 is fine, I wouldn't want my cpu to be 70 degrees 24/7, that would maybe wear it down prematurely. If you want to see how hot your cpu will get with a stresstest try the program OCCT. you can stress the cpu, gpu or both and it makes nice plots.

ok today i wanted to re apply the thermal paste when i found out my cpu cooler wasnt properly secured too my cpu so first lets see how hot it gets now think im lucky it didnt allready crash my cpu...

i did some research abouth maximum (save) temps for my cpu..

it says 61 degrees celsius for the "system" temps now i only asking myself doo they mean inside the system or do they mean the cpu ???

Max temps for most Phenom II's is 62C, However the on die cpu max temp is something like 85C I think. It depends on the program you are using to report temps.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-Phenom%20II%20X4%20965%20Black%20Edition%20-%20HDZ965FBK4DGI%20(HDZ965FBGIBOX).html

Is assuming you have the 965 Black Edition you can see the max TDP at the bottom is 62c

Below is the temps of my 940 BE pretty much at idle, using Everest.

everesttemp2.jpg

The one you want to pay attention to is the CPU line. The other one's ( CPU1/2/3/4) are your on die diode. I don't know what you are using for temperature monitoring but if it's 61c on die temp then thats probably ok on stock cooling.

I think you have the AMD Phenom II X4 965, right?-C2-Stepping?

then you find here: http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUDetail.aspx?id=591&f1=&f2=&f3=&f4=&f5=&f6=&f7=&f8=&f9=&f10=&f11=&f12=&f13= the official maxtemp for this cpu (I have the same).

-Check with Hardware Monitor (http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php the temps of your cpu.

My temperatures for this cpu are: Idle: 29°C /1 hour Prime95 (max temp.: 46°C)

Do you use the boxed fan for this cpu?-I read it is not the best solution for this one :cool:

I use the one i posted.-Besides-i dont use the boxed fan for my cpu (have a Zalman CNPS9900NT). I let it run with 1600rpm under stress.

ok thnx,

didnt see the link

yeah i know abouth the fan, i bought a bether one but didnt fit

was too lazy to bring it back and get me a new one, now its sitting on my shelf...

but at the other hand with a different fan installed the cpu isnt covered by the warranty

downloaded the tool but it doesnt read my cpu temps dont know why it recognises the 965 but the temps stay at 0.

Edited by =KCT=BlackMamba

yes boxed..

now i played ARMA2 with the cooler properly secured

and after playing a while it stays at +- 52.

50 when im looking at it but it takes a few seconds to go to desktop

by the way im using asus AISuite for my temps, when i go to bios i think it says 3 degrees higher there...

im using asus epu mode: "auto" it starts spinning harder when its needed i can set it to turbo mode gives me a little increase FPS whise, but the fan go's crazy after a while...

There's always some variation for detection. Basically unless you are putting a thermal probe on your CPU to test it, then any temps you get your should calculate for +-7 deg.

I'm not sure about the current gen of AMD CPU's, the older Athlon CPU's had electromigration take effect after 95 deg, the Intel's didn't take effect til 110 deg, but if your CPU reaches these levels then it usually shuts itself off (resulting in a random shutdown or blue screen)

Electromigration is basically when heat forces the die on the CPU to shift breaking contact at the switch points (crude way of stating it though), but I'm not sure why that point would have been lowered with the new generation of AMD CPU's.

I'll generally run at about 45-55 degrees celcius, depending on room temperature, which where I live can fluctuate a bit. That's also with fans running at near full capacity.

That's for CPU, my GPU will generally run up around 60 at full power, I use EVGA to up the fan speeds on my 285, 40% is a bit too low for my tastes.

never had the blue screen with my current system.

but now im asking myself,

the cooler wasnt properly secured for quite some time now..

shouldnt i re-apply the thermal paste any way??..

maybe the heat did something to the thermal paste when the cooler wasnt firmly attached.

Generally speaking, whenever you remove the fan and put it back on for whatever reason, you should always clean the CPU and reapply some thermal paste.

Not bad, but your system has speedstepped down (eco save the environment from evil computers mode). Try putting some stress on it (like playing Arma 2) and check what kind of heat you get. It's likely not going to be over 60 if you're getting 30 in eco mode.

yes true, im going to stress it today and let u know

EDIT

it stays a little cooler but no huge differences, highest readings where 52 degrees celsius..

but for some odd reason my CPU runs hotter in the menu screens than when im actual ingame....

Edited by =KCT=BlackMamba

Better idea is to use Prime95. It stresses each core of your cpu @ 100%. Let it run at least 1 hour and monitor your temps. Then you can be sure your cpu is not overheating under full load.

my CPU stays at 40c at idle, 42c while playing Arma2, and highest recorded was 56c during Prime95 stresstest. My unique cooler has a lot to do with it. Why would I use a cooler few others use? I thought it was a good idea at the time! lol

Board- Evga 780i

CPU - C2D E7400 2.8 @ 3.8Ghz

Cooler - Monsoon II lite

Case - NZXT Zero

Edited by [DirTyDeeDs]-Ziggy-

look impressive but i dont think it fits in my case..:)

---------- Post added at 06:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:38 PM ----------

this weekend i found out that the cooler i bought together with the rest of the components did fit...

at the time i builded the system i tought it didnt..

so, removed the stock cooler again and mounted the new one

its the asus arctic square.

i needed to completely remove the huge fan in order to get it in my system,

normaly i could just unscrew the thumb screws and take the mobo out of the back.

well not any more...

thermal paste applied yesterday, my idle temps are around 26 degrees celsius now,

lets see what happens when the break in period ends....

Better idea is to use Prime95. It stresses each core of your cpu @ 100%. Let it run at least 1 hour and monitor your temps. Then you can be sure your cpu is not overheating under full load.

Really, that's what you should be using to determine how adequate your cooling is. From the temps you posted, it seems that your previous cooling setup was pretty poor. I wouldn't think Arma 2 would take your cpu anywhere near that high with a decent cooler.

Sounds your new cooler is much better. Check out your temps with Prime95, OCCT, Orthos, whatever. They will put way more pressure on your cpu than Arma 2.

Really, that's what you should be using to determine how adequate your cooling is. From the temps you posted, it seems that your previous cooling setup was pretty poor. I wouldn't think Arma 2 would take your cpu anywhere near that high with a decent cooler.

Sounds your new cooler is much better. Check out your temps with Prime95, OCCT, Orthos, whatever. They will put way more pressure on your cpu than Arma 2.

they will put more pressure on the cpu, yes, but the videocard puts out a lot of heat, if you dont have very good case ventilation temperatures with arma2 may very well be higher, processor load on arma2 approaches 100% in some systems.

Still, I have to say dont worry about temperatures, It's voltage that kills cpu's. High temperatures just make the transistors more mobile so they get damaged more easily if they get hot. If you dont overclock and have a random heatsink that's half decently placed it should be fine.

And if you really want to stress your pc try running the occt gpu test and run 3 threads (or 1 if you have a dualcore) prime95. I was at 94% cpu and similar gpu load, 12V line went from 11.93 to 11.65 (just within spec:p )

The occt psu test is even worse and I'm not going to try it, my psu is stressed enough as it is.