Sign in to follow this  
Col Rambo SBS

One last try for help, before it hits the bin.

Ok, Ive tried posting to this forum, and a few other Flashpoint sites looking for help. Ive even Emailed BIS and not had any response.

This is my problem:-

When I try to join a server, I connect and get to the black wait for server screen, I can even see the layers chatting, then after 60 sec I get punted to the games main menu. This happens on any 1.3 server including my squads own server.

doing a clean install of the game is no use, nethere is disabeling my firewall.

The problem fist showed up when I instaled 1.29. When I did a clean install I only did 1.0 - 1.2 - 1.3 , no BETA's were used, and the remaining files and folders were manually removed before the install took place.

one of my friends has the exact same trouble, and his system is a completely different spec.

My system:-

Win ME

1.2ghz T bird

GeForce 2 MX

Gigabyte GA7-ZX mainboard

384mb RAM

6 gig free space on my HD

SB Live player

rambo the only thing i didnt see you mention was editing the registry to remove any reference to opf. the registry doesnt always get cleared when you uninstall things. if you dont know how and arent sure what to look for dont try it see if you can find someone who can help you do it with you. otherwise its very possible you may have a bad disk or something.

The registry DOES NOT get cleaned when you uninstall. YOu have to search the REG for any OFP referances and clear them manualy. Make a backup of your REG before you do this.

If doubt that the information left over from past installations in the Registry can cause problems -- there are only two registry keys, one containing the installation path, and one containing a binary representation of your CD Key (probably a hash).

Sounds like a networking thing perhaps...do you run a home network?? You may need to ensure that you have the computer your playing on set as the DMZ if so.

I do run a home network, with this computer as the master, one other as slave. At the times i tried to play the game, this is the only one switched on.

what do you mean by DMZ ?

When you say 'master' and 'slave', are you talking about a network that uses Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)?

If so, that is the problem -- OFP is not compatible with ICS. It's not really a problem with OFP, but ICS in general. Since both computers have the same external IP address, ICS doesn't know where to route incoming packets.

ics will work with ofp if the first system connected to the internet is set up as a router. unfortunaley you have to be running nt/2k for that to happen. it works great for me i can have all my comps online and my friends playing at the same time. as for the registry it most assuredly can affect

software behaviors. if you delete a program and it leaves anything behind its because the uninstall wasnt very well written. i am a network admin and run my own outsource support company. i spend far too much time having to clean registries after clients botched installs and upgrades.

Orphan registry entries are only a problem when they point to OLE/COM objects and other such things that have been deleted during the uninstall.

However, OFP doesn't provide any services for other applications to use. There are only two registry entries that are used by OFP, and those aren't even looked at by any other program.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Mister Frag on 11:23 am on Nov. 21, 2001

When you say 'master' and 'slave', are you talking about a network that uses Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)?

If so, that is the problem -- OFP is not compatible with ICS. It's not really a problem with OFP, but ICS in general. Since both computers have the same external IP address, ICS doesn't know where to route incoming packets.

<span id='postcolor'>

I use ICS using RasPPPOE for a 512/128 ADSL

Im one of the clients... and i can run it without problems.

I dont think thats his problem.

It's probably a network setting thats wrong.

I had just this trouble too.

I had to uninstall OFP and uninstall Zonealarm as well,

then deleted codemasters folder. rebooted. installed 1.00 from cd. rebooted. ran 1.2 upgrade. rebooted. ran 1.3 upgrade. rebooted.

After all this it worked.

DMZ - demilitarized zone is a computer or network that sits between a private network and the public internet that prevents public users getting direct access to the private stuff. its an alternative to a firewall and can be used as a proxy too.

Ok, so the MS home networking is running on my system and has been sice i first got Flashpoint ( which was working online untill 1.29 )

Disabeling the network is not an option as the second computer is used by my wife, and it saves getting a second line for the little time she actually uses it.

If its a network setting thats wrong, point me to a possible soulution.

P.S. the times I have tried flashpoint online lately, the second computer has not even been switched on.

Hi,

I was having the same problem...

I upgraded win2k to service pack 2, and upgraded directX to 8.1

This seems to have fixed it for me (though i`ve only tested it 3 times, all of which were successful).

Good Luck

Sgt. Barnes