Sign in to follow this  
evilc1

*Still* Unable to play Arma2 Multiplayer

I bought Arma2 pretty much when it came out.

In early versions, when I connected to an MP server, I would get the disconnecting chain and desync messages. I tried all versions up to 1.04 as they came out, same issue. So the game got shelved.

I was bored again, and noticed a new patch (1.05) was out, so I decided to try again.

I am currently unable to even find a server I can connect to.

Every server seems to be running mods, and I get an error like "This mission depends on downloadable content that has been deleted".

I found the SIX updater for ACE and a program called Yoma Addon Synchroniser, but did not have any luck with those.

Any ideas?

"This mission depends on downloadable content that has been deleted"

This message means the server is running a mission that requires addon that you do not have. There is nothing you can do about it other than actually having those addons updated.

Either find servers not running any mods (which will not be easy) or just figure out how to use SIX or Yoma's to get your ACE up to date so that you can at least play on servers that only run ACE, and then if you want to play on a speicific server that has some additional addons (such as extra islands or units) download those from www.armaholic.com and run them as well.

SIX seems to work insofar as it downloads data. I set it to all of the "configs" and hit execute and it downloaded about 2GB of data.

However, still no dice when trying to join servers, same message and I cannot work out what I am missing.

Yuma's app seems to be nonfunctional. I worked out that if you added a server as a favorite, you could go into a mods tab and click a button that seemed to indicate that it would download the mods that server was using, but it resulted in a "Could not connect to server" error no matter which server I tried.

I have seen mod lists, but to be honest they are often of little use as the error message or server description is often so cryptic and acronym ridden that an outsider has no chance of working out what is going on.

It staggers me that there is any community for this game at all if the barrier to entry is so high. I am a geek with years of experience with this kind of thing, your average layman must have no chance.

Seeing as everyone else can get it to work you're probably missing something/f*ing something up.. A plain install+latest patch, and check server filters, and type in domination under missions, and make sure that you do NOT try to enter a server named ACE domination as it requires addons. If that don't work, I dunno what you're doing wrong..

Edited by Ish

Until you have a working ACE, stay clear of servers clearly indicated with ACE in their name, or a @ symbol in the mission name (indicates addon is used by the mission), or when ACE is named somewhere with the mission name.

But with 1.05, I thought you would get servers in red if you didn't have the correct keys. And I though most servers today used signature checks.

As for installing it and getting help on that, try the ACE thread in "mods, complete" forum. The first post should have some pointers on getting started.

Hi evilc1

Go to this thread

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=93078

There is a manual that explains what to do step by step.

The Zeus yoma repository was down last week while they moved to a new web server, their DNS is still in the process of disseminating and may not be available yet through your ISP.

If you cannot connect to the Zeus Yoma repository just link to one of the others listed in the appendix of the manual.

If you have Team Speak after 7pm GMT you may well be able to find a member of the Zeus community who will talk you through it most nights. Though not if they are in game!

Most other ArmA communities operate a similar informal policy.

Kind Regards walker

If you only play ArmA II for MP then I suggest you find a different game. It will only lead to disappointment. For me, it does not, but it seems to be a regular occurrence that MP-only hardcore players are always disappointed with ArmA II's style of MP.

If you only play ArmA II for MP then I suggest you find a different game. It will only lead to disappointment. For me, it does not, but it seems to be a regular occurrence that MP-only hardcore players are always disappointed with ArmA II's style of MP.

Not sure where you are getting that info from buddy... virtually everyone I know that has the game plays it for the MP and most of them have never even started the campaigns lol..... As far as I know its the MP side that keeps this game alive and not the SP..

It just seems to be that most of the players use the SP side of the game much more than the MP side. By SP I don't mean the campaign and missions, I mean making your own missions and messing about yourself. Generally that's because of all the user made content, and the fact that the MP side of the game can be very selective now at what it does and doesn't allow onto a server. I know there's a large MP portion of the community, but it seems to me that there's a significantly larger SP portion. Granted I do enjoy playing with humans more than AI, but I also enjoy playing with mods other than ACE2 and CAA1. :p

I find the presence of other human players a lot more enjoyable than an extra vehicle or weapon, but to each their own. In any case, if a certain addon is *really* good, then you can always ask whatever community you join to add it to their pack and missions. If they won't do that then there is probably a good reason (aka it doesn't add enough to the game to be worth bothering everyone to download it).

Well my my, it seems I have started quite the conversation here...

For the record, I would consider myself a pretty hardcore PvPer. I prefer reality over run-n-gun. Previously my fave FPS was BF2 Project Reality mod. I am looking to play A2 instead as I have TrackIR and want to use that because, well, you know if you have one ;) Games that don't support it = FAIL.

I don't see why A2 would not be good for PvP - it is what you make it. BF2 was not hugely my thing, but PR was a different story simply through modding. With A2 having native support for base building and such, the start point already sounds better than PR ever was. Besides, can't A2 handle hundreds of AIs scattered across the map vs a few players? That would be an acceptable alternative to PvP for me. I kind of like L4D, so I guess that could grow on me if PvP doesn't pan out.

Seeing as everyone else can get it to work you're probably missing something/f*ing something up.. A plain install+latest patch, and check server filters, and type in domination under missions, and make sure that you do NOT try to enter a server named ACE domination as it requires addons. If that don't work, I dunno what you're doing wrong..

Tried that each time. I could get into servers pre 1.05, even if they were running domination, but still suffered from desynch. With 1.05, I get this new "Deleted content" message with modded servers (Which is a step in the right direction I suppose). With all versions to date, if it was a modded server, my client would start downloading, tick along smoothly, then freeze around 300 or 700K.

Until you have a working ACE, stay clear of servers clearly indicated with ACE in their name, or a @ symbol in the mission name (indicates addon is used by the mission), or when ACE is named somewhere with the mission name.

Problem is I like the sound of ACE, its the main mod I want to try.

But with 1.05, I thought you would get servers in red if you didn't have the correct keys. And I though most servers today used signature checks.

Always had a legit copy, always been properly installed with right key.

Hi evilc1

Go to this thread

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=93078

There is a manual that explains what to do step by step.

The Zeus yoma repository was down last week while they moved to a new web server, their DNS is still in the process of disseminating and may not be available yet through your ISP.

If you cannot connect to the Zeus Yoma repository just link to one of the others listed in the appendix of the manual.

Nice one, I had a quick look whilst in a lecture today and it seemed like more what I was looking for. Unfortunately, my home ISP has not got the DNS update yet, so I will have to look tomorrow as all of the zeus-community.net domain seems down for me.

I noticed the poster, Terox is Zeus too and in the UK like me, so I guess you have euro players? If so then if I can get this thing working it would be nice to have a frag with ya.

Cheers for all the input peeps, hope to see you on the battlefield soon.

This might be a stretch, but I know here in Sweden a certain ISP was blocking ports for Aion.. So you might want to look that up. I suppose you've already tried forwarding ports? Not that it should be needed but you never know with computers ;)

Hi all

A week is not unusual for disseminating a DNS.

you can of course set your DNS to another server such as "Google Public DNS"

Do a search on google for "Google Public DNS"

http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/intro.html

Or some other DNS you trust but if you go down this route ensure you copy your original DNS before changing it ;)

You can also do a reverse lookup from your college to get IP address but it may be clumsy, appending the web pages and server info to IP address each time.

Kind Regards walker

Cheers walker, the Google DNS let me see the manual at least. I can't see the rest of your domain though.

I set up TS and configured the Zeus server.

I also used YAS to update from the kelly's heroes server and managed to successfully join it once. However it was then back to my original issue of "No messages received for 10 secs" messages and orange / red link symbols.

I tried joining it again, and couldn't even get in-game, it just sat at "Receiving..." once the sound effects kicked in at the point you pick squad.

Oh well, I will probably be about tonight and jump on TS to see if I can get this sorted.

Thanks once again.

Hmm, your TS server appears down tonight...