Sign in to follow this  
wasserkool

Wondering why hardware power will allow us to unleash the full power of Arma2

I really wish that the current or in the near future, hardware power can fully unleash the glory and beauty of Arma 2 engine. I am creating simple campaigns using the editor directing 8 vs 8 squad of soliders battling in the forest and its simply breathtaking.

Imagine we can run this game fully maxed out with thousands and thousands of units on the field like that on Rome total war etc..

I think if that day arrives, we can really simulate some real life battles that happened before in history.

Don't think it can happen. I remember thinking I could run OFP on a future system that would be unbelievable. Well, years later, I got the system and the game still ran like a bucket of nails.

well in arma2 now people can run with over 1000 AI on screen battleing it out

ArmA 1 is very playable at max settings BUT with view distance at 1200, what kills the machine is to set the distance higher, in arma 2 i do the same, set my distance view to 1600 (default normal preset) and the rest on HIGH (AA normal) and it´s very playable with my Q6600 and Ati 4850 at res. 1440X900.

They say that the 5870 or 5970 can max it out easy.

Yep, you could have a PC from the year 2497 but if there are limitations with the game engine - such as the way ofp, ArmA and ArmA2 cannot fully utilize high end systems with a lot of memory - then it is no use.

These games are based on a game engine which was probably formed on windows 95, we might have to wait for the "Singularity" to have thousands of units in-game, maxed out.

:(

well in arma2 now people can run with over 1000 AI on screen battleing it out

Er.. I didn't actually see any AI, I only heard a couple of AI shooting.

Don't believe everything you read.

Easy to do it yourself. Go into the editor and place 1000 AI (that's a lot of copy/past) and see how it runs, please tell us how it plays.

Pretty good actually. But ony if you have a quad core or higher

The game engine cannot utilize the hardware of 2009. This game is limited by itself.

WHenever i setup a mission in the editor, the game runs smooth even with about 200 AIs running arround, but once bullets start firing, the game start to slow down. I have a Phenom II 965 OC to 3.7Ghz and 5870 vid card, so I am wondering what is causing the slow down.

With the current trend of adding more cores instead of teh megahurtz, it might be a while before you can max absolutely everything and run a 1000 AI.

Hell, you can't even do it in OFP and the game is over 8 years old.

Edited by Pulverizer

If they write a 64bit extension and executable then all the memory limitations will be solved for a good number of years, seeing as 64bit can address 16EXABYTES. On the subject of multiple cores then they'd need to write a good chunk of code that performs proper parallell processing, which is very difficuly and very time consuming. The engine is made for the 32bit era, as are all other current game engines.

Some just have some gaffa tape holding on some limited 64bit and parallell processing support. Wait until we get true 64bit gaming engines written from the ground up. It'll be a while though considering the way PC gaming is getting more and more niche.

What are you guys talking about? I set up a mission just earlier today with around 12,800 AI and I had an average 40 fps...

What are you guys talking about? I set up a mission just earlier today with around 12,800 AI and I had an average 40 fps...

Yeah right, let me try that mission :rolleyes:

The game is completely unplayable (6-8fps) and broken for me with just 500vs500 infantry fighting. I get arout 24fps with 1000 AI just standing doing nothing far away from me on the map.

Core2quad q9550 2.8ghz, gtx275.