Sign in to follow this  
goliath86

Medevac Module

Well I don't have immediate repeatable scenarios, but there are some main odd behaviors I've seen:

Ambulance asked for red smoke grenade. Also, it stopped a few kilometers away so the medic had to yomp all the way over :)

I medevaced the whole squad back to base, and I lost all my squad when we all dismounted :D

After I lost all my squad, the helo started a very odd constant taking-off-and-landing behavior. Sometimes it would just rise up & down constantly, sometimes it would fly a short distance then come back.

For me, the unit_array.sqf editing didn't work. I know that eventually this will be replaced with a ArmA2\userconfig\yourname\unit_array.hpp file eventually, so I'm not too worried about that :) however it did mean I had to hack the addon itself to spawn a helo again.

Well I don't have immediate repeatable scenarios, but there are some main odd behaviors I've seen:

Ambulance asked for red smoke grenade. Also, it stopped a few kilometers away so the medic had to yomp all the way over :)

I medevaced the whole squad back to base, and I lost all my squad when we all dismounted :D

After I lost all my squad, the helo started a very odd constant taking-off-and-landing behavior. Sometimes it would just rise up & down constantly, sometimes it would fly a short distance then come back.

For me, the unit_array.sqf editing didn't work. I know that eventually this will be replaced with a ArmA2\userconfig\yourname\unit_array.hpp file eventually, so I'm not too worried about that :) however it did mean I had to hack the addon itself to spawn a helo again.

The squad at the FOB is 'lost' because it simulate that men who return to base are heavily wounded so they can't return back in the action like you have suggested some post ago.

(BTW, it might be nice to have something happen to these guys when the helo RTBs. I don't know what, I'll leave that to you maybe remove them from the squad & just disembark them, maybe even just nothing.)

The unit_array.sqf works..if it don't works you have to be sure that you haven't modify the @Medevac addon's folder name. If it don't works even ambulance have to not appear in game when you call for Medevac.

The Medevac come exactly where you have put the smoke grenade. I'll check this and the Medevac's vehicle behaviour.

BTW thanks for your bug report! ;)

Edited by goliath86

Perhaps before deleting units, check the damage and only delete them if it is > .3 or something, maybe even .5....

I tested it on Duala in the city. Very close quarters but it was an area plenty big enough for the SA330 Puma Medevac (Project RACS Beta Addon) that I was using with the module. It requested smoke, I threw it into the center of the area, the helo proceeded to move about 500 + meters away to the very very far outskirts of the city. The medic never made it to me due to roving squads of militia.

I tested it on Duala in the city. Very close quarters but it was an area plenty big enough for the SA330 Puma Medevac (Project RACS Beta Addon) that I was using with the module. It requested smoke, I threw it into the center of the area, the helo proceeded to move about 500 + meters away to the very very far outskirts of the city. The medic never made it to me due to roving squads of militia.

This is a problem of ArmA2..the helo seach to find a clear and 'large' landing zone. Maybe I can force it to land but not sure for the result..I will test this..Thanks! :D

---------- Post added at 08:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 PM ----------

Perhaps before deleting units, check the damage and only delete them if it is > .3 or something, maybe even .5....

Thanks for your suggestion ;)

The squad at the FOB is 'lost' because it simulate that men who return to base are heavily wounded so they can't return back in the action like you have suggested some post ago.

Heh, yeah I did :D no biggie, I can go around and manually recruit them again :D

The unit_array.sqf works..if it don't works you have to be sure that you haven't modify the @Medevac addon's folder name.

Oh yeah I'm sure it's specific to me, although I just copied the entire structure over I'm sure there's something set up wrong. I just thought I'd mention it in case anyone else mentions the same problem. Then there might be something else going on, but again I'm not worried about it.

If it don't works even ambulance have to not appear in game when you call for Medevac.

The Medevac come exactly where you have put the smoke grenade. I'll check this and the Medevac's vehicle behaviour.

Yeah, all I can say is that the ambulance seemed a long way off when it requested the smoke 'nade, then it stopped well short of a reasonable distance.

BTW thanks for your bug report! ;)

No problem :) I'm always mindful that bug reports represent faults in someone's work, and as such I feel rather cruel reporting them :D but, generally this is a very nice little addon for extra ingame functionality.

Heh, yeah I did :D no biggie, I can go around and manually recruit them again :D

Oh yeah I'm sure it's specific to me, although I just copied the entire structure over I'm sure there's something set up wrong. I just thought I'd mention it in case anyone else mentions the same problem. Then there might be something else going on, but again I'm not worried about it.

Yeah, all I can say is that the ambulance seemed a long way off when it requested the smoke 'nade, then it stopped well short of a reasonable distance.

No problem :) I'm always mindful that bug reports represent faults in someone's work, and as such I feel rather cruel reporting them :D but, generally this is a very nice little addon for extra ingame functionality.

Don't worry DMarwick! I like people like you that report bugs..bug finding is so hard for only one person so your work is really appreciated!! :)

Maybe something like Mando Heliroute can help you put the MEDEVAC vehicle exactly where the smoke is. I'm not sure on that though.

DMarkwick send me a PM with your unit_array. I'll compare it to mine and see if there are any differences.

Edited by Darkhorse 1-6

I'm pretty sure that's why I don't like cats. :)

Ha ha. Good one! :) But, if Bo actually tried to write code, he could probably do it better than me!

I hope you had something to eat, and maybe a sleep too...

Yeah, I had something to eat, thanks, (sleep, no)... and continued trying to figure out what was happening on my end. After thinking a little, I knew it had to be PEBKAC. (I am still embarrassed. Sheeesh!)

NOTES:

A. No one seems to get hurt when disembarking. (I hope that is something I helped you with. Heh.)

(B. Just a funny story... one time the chopper was turning a circle, and the units were trying to get in. Was funny to watch. (No MM prob, was just funny.))

CyOp personal opinion. (Nothing more than IMHO.)

1. Call chopper, chopper RTB, sideChat says... Medevac Chopper Available - Maybe should be a hint, instead?

2. I, speaking for my self, would appreciate the 'Call in Medevac' not to appear at the beginning of the mission. IMHO, the CALL and the ABORT should be a option ONLY brought up by the player (through the menu), not 'forced' on the player, especially at the very start of the mission. Think about it this way, if every Mod 'forced' a notification/action like that, well, it would not be pretty.

Bug/s:

(#1 happens AFTER the call for red smoke. If aborted before the MM calls to throw the red, everything seems normal.)

1. As a Designated Marksman, with 1 white and 1 red smoke, the MM gives me an additional red smoke to throw,

if I abort, it aborts, but, the extra red is still there,

I throw the red, and sideChat says, THROWING RED SMOKE, OVER (REPEATABLE)

THEN, instead of taking me back to, what the default next smoke is to throw, which would be white, I throw a smoke and it is the red that was in my inventory, and again gives the sideChat... THROWING RED SMOKE, OVER (REPEATABLE)

(I mentioned this earlier, but not in detail, I think you made note of it.)

Still testing.

EDIT: BTW, you could force the helo to land by creating a named (of course) helipad. Forseeable problems... even with a helipad, it would have to be created/written to a fairly decent, open space. This would be a tuff one, I think, and require a lot of testing/work/rewrites. I would not even mess with that, and just work on finding current bugs. For now, just let 'the game' do its thing, and land where it can. At least the helo can get to a player faster than anything else, and with a Corpsman that can come to the player, not a prob.

Edited by CyOp

There ya go! :)

BTW, goliath, for the times that a player MM helo (or whatever) is forced to land farther away than the player would like, there is no reason why the MM cannot have TWO Corpsman join the squad (so the probability of a Corpsman getting to the player increases). For me, in a lot of the messes I get myself into, it would not be over-kill. :D

EDIT: Oh, DMarkwick, I was mostly thinking about when the (silly) pilot takes off. You know, the trees they love to fly into. Ha. Also, in regards to that, this is why I have always set up the UH-1Y for MM. It can get in and out of tight spots better, and, hey, it has more fire power.

EDIT: I have a lot of 'WAYS', BTW, huh? :p

EDIT: Notes:

C. I know the helo can be forced to gain alt BEFORE following a waypoint. Less chance of hitting trees.

EDIT: MM Under Fire:

1. Helo... waypoint behavior. MM will try and leave all disembarked units, BUT, will try to reduce alt to return for them. Normally, it will wind up nose down like it is trying to fly into the earth, and/or, get its self entangled in trees. If Corpsman dies, same behavior. While the helo is killing its self, the units may be able to get back in, but, of course, the helo blows up and all die. (REPEATABLE)

2. Gunners will not engage. The way I fixed this before is to have a dedicated group of gunners. (For the UH-1Y, I had to have 3 turret gunners .) Then, the gunners can be set to RED, and will engage, irregardless of helo/pilot behavior, which I had set to SAFE.

(So far, I have not had a rescue mission. I will setup a mission to severely wound chopper to test.)

D. To whomever... (I am sure most know) using the UH-1Y with MM draw back, no one can heal at chopper. With MH-60S, area can be cleared, chopper allowed to hover and guarded, and nearby wounded troops will go to heal.

3. Helo... hit by AA, goes down, Corpsman survives. Not always, but sometimes, when helo is going down, Corpsman will join me, but then almost immediately leave again. When I get to the crash site, he will rejoin again as the last unit. (NOT ALWAYS REPEATABLE, but when he joins, leaves and rejoins, always REPEATABLE)

4. Helo gunners will attack the static unit (AA). (I will do more testing on helo encounters with infantry.)

5. Helo... hit by AA, Corpsman dies on impact when bailing, sideChat says, Corpsman, dead, Medevac RTB. Of course, the chopper cannot RTB, it is down. Get to crash site, all join. (REPEATABLE) (Problem exists probably because of 'sleep'. It appears he bails too late, then the fall or chopper kill him, hence the message, because the code has not caused a call for the rescue op yet.)

ASIDE: I have not looked in the extracted files. I am just testing.

EDIT:

6. Helo... sometimes when helo is hit, it can still make a landing. Crew disembarks, Corpsman joins. sideChat says Medevac in position, Sir. Get to helo, I check to see if it is actually disabled, it is. No rescue option appears. (Sometimes (some) crew is injured, NOT a MM problem.) I have option to RTB helo, use option, Corpsman leaves my squad, and then just stands there and does nothing. - RESOLUTION: Change the allowed damage to a lower setting, so rescue option will appear. (REPEATABLE)

Notes:

E. I may not always get the side chat exactly correct when typing here in the forum. If you are not sure of something in regards to that, let me know. (REPEATABLE :D Ha ha.)

3. Just a suggestion... (goliath, I would really only have you consider this AFTER this module is debugged. It does look almost finished, if nothing else is added.) - Instead of having the crew (and all) join the player after being rescued, they could be disbanded. 'I', personally, would like that. Others can give their opinion. The simplest way would just be to disband them, then have them run off into the distance (out of site), then just make them disappear (delete), and then a little later, 'reset' the 'Medevac is available' option. - Another option is to spawn another helo with just the crew, and take them to never never land. - ANOTHER OPTION could be, if a person designed the mission with a static (MM) base, the crew could return to that, then checked to see who was missing, if any, THEN, the 'Medevac is available' option could be reset. This suggestion would be MY idea scenario instead of having them join me after rescue. Again, other people, please, comment. And again, for now, if you like the idea, don't mess with it now. Let's just debug. ... Note here... as it stands, I will just send the crew off as cannon fodder to get rid of them! Heh. (Poor AI.)

In the above third scenario with a static base, that could actually be a 'secondary SecOp' (heh, ThirdOp) to the rescue mission... rescue the crew, get them safely back to base (then get rid of their butts). - At this point, I guess I need to test with a static base, so I know what is happening with that part of the MM.

IMPROVEMENTS

- Delete from the player's squad only heavily dammaged soldiers

goliath, would you be so kind as to clarify that? Do you mean, like if the chopper crashes, if a soldier or crew is really hurt bad, the code will just delete them? If so, for the sake of 'reality and immersion', shouldn't we have to, or decide, to try and save them? I guess you are considering the idea that there is no medic available? Even so, IMHO, they should still just be left physically in the game, not deleted. For sure, for the sake of the MM and player, they can be 'taken out' of the code, so to speak.

Edited by CyOp

how does the unit array work? i just insert what vehicle i want in it and where do i put it? any help?

how does the unit array work? i just insert what vehicle i want in it and where do i put it? any help?

The unit array must stay in the @Medevac folder. Just modify the first element of the array to change the type of vehicle. Then start the module in the mission normally. You don't have to move the unit_array file.:)

There ya go! :)

BTW, goliath, for the times that a player MM helo (or whatever) is forced to land farther away than the player would like, there is no reason why the MM cannot have TWO Corpsman join the squad (so the probability of a Corpsman getting to the player increases). For me, in a lot of the messes I get myself into, it would not be over-kill. :D

EDIT: Oh, DMarkwick, I was mostly thinking about when the (silly) pilot takes off. You know, the trees they love to fly into. Ha. Also, in regards to that, this is why I have always set up the UH-1Y for MM. It can get in and out of tight spots better, and, hey, it has more fire power.

EDIT: I have a lot of 'WAYS', BTW, huh? :p

C. I know the helo can be forced to gain alt BEFORE following a waypoint. Less chance of hitting trees.

1. Helo... waypoint behavior. MM will try and leave all disembarked units, BUT, will try to reduce alt to return for them. Normally, it will wind up nose down like it is trying to fly into the earth, and/or, get its self entangled in trees. If Corpsman dies, same behavior. While the helo is killing its self, the units may be able to get back in, but, of course, the helo blows up and all die. (REPEATABLE)

2. Gunners will not engage. The way I fixed this before is to have a dedicated group of gunners. (For the UH-1Y, I had to have 3 turret gunners .) Then, the gunners can be set to RED, and will engage, irregardless of helo/pilot behavior, which I had set to SAFE.

(So far, I have not had a rescue mission. I will setup a mission to severely wound chopper to test.)

D. To whomever... (I am sure most know) using the UH-1Y with MM draw back, no one can heal at chopper. With MH-60S, area can be cleared, chopper allowed to hover and guarded, and nearby wounded troops will go to heal.

3. Helo... hit by AA, goes down, Corpsman survives. Not always, but sometimes, when helo is going down, Corpsman will join me, but then almost immediately leave again. When I get to the crash site, he will rejoin again as the last unit. (NOT ALWAYS REPEATABLE, but when he joins, leaves and rejoins, always REPEATABLE)

4. Helo gunners will attack the static unit (AA). (I will do more testing on helo encounters with infantry.)

5. Helo... hit by AA, Corpsman dies on impact when bailing, sideChat says, Corpsman, dead, Medevac RTB. Of course, the chopper cannot RTB, it is down. Get to crash site, all join. (REPEATABLE) (Problem exists probably because of 'sleep'. It appears he bails too late, then the fall or chopper kill him, hence the message, because the code has not caused a call for the rescue op yet.)

ASIDE: I have not looked in the extracted files. I am just testing.

EDIT:

6. Helo... sometimes when helo is hit, it can still make a landing. Crew disembarks, Corpsman joins. sideChat says Medevac in position, Sir. Get to helo, I check to see if it is actually disabled, it is. No rescue option appears. (Sometimes (some) crew is injured, NOT a MM problem.) I have option to RTB helo, use option, Corpsman leaves my squad, and then just stands there and does nothing. - RESOLUTION: Change the allowed damage to a lower setting, so rescue option will appear. (REPEATABLE)

Notes:

E. I may not always get the side chat exactly correct when typing here in the forum. If you are not sure of something in regards to that, let me know. (REPEATABLE :D Ha ha.)

3. Just a suggestion... (goliath, I would really only have you consider this AFTER this module is debugged. It does look almost finished, if nothing else is added.) - Instead of having the crew (and all) join the player after being rescued, they could be disbanded. 'I', personally, would like that. Others can give their opinion. The simplest way would just be to disband them, then have them run off into the distance (out of site), then just make them disappear (delete), and then a little later, 'reset' the 'Medevac is available' option. - Another option is to spawn another helo with just the crew, and take them to never never land. - ANOTHER OPTION could be, if a person designed the mission with a static (MM) base, the crew could return to that, then checked to see who was missing, if any, THEN, the 'Medevac is available' option could be reset. This suggestion would be MY idea scenario instead of having them join me after rescue. Again, other people, please, comment. And again, for now, if you like the idea, don't mess with it now. Let's just debug. ... Note here... as it stands, I will just send the crew off as cannon fodder to get rid of them! Heh. (Poor AI.)

In the above third scenario with a static base, that could actually be a 'secondary SecOp' (heh, ThirdOp) to the rescue mission... rescue the crew, get them safely back to base (then get rid of their butts). - At this point, I guess I need to test with a static base, so I know what is happening with that part of the MM.

goliath, would you be so kind as to clarify that? Do you mean, like if the chopper crashes, if a soldier or crew is really hurt bad, the code will just delete them? If so, for the sake of 'reality and immersion', shouldn't we have to, or decide, to try and save them? I guess you are considering the idea that there is no medic available? Even so, IMHO, they should still just be left physically in the game, not deleted. For sure, for the sake of the MM and player, they can be 'taken out' of the code, so to speak.

thanks for your tests! :D

The line in IMPROVEMENTS mean that when the chopper RTB with some mine units soldiers that are heavily damaged are 'deleted' from mine squad and join another group (to simulate that they can't return to combat immediately)

thanks for your tests! :D

The line in IMPROVEMENTS mean that when the chopper RTB with some mine units soldiers that are heavily damaged are 'deleted' from mine squad and join another group (to simulate that they can't return to combat immediately)

? I have 8 units in my squad, 2 are severly injured, I send those 2 back to a static MM base (correct), then those 2 are deleted? If so, then at the base they are reinforced?

Anyway, I will not ask any more about that. Later today I will test with a static base.

? I have 8 units in my squad, 2 are severly injured, I send those 2 back to a static MM base (correct), then those 2 are deleted? If so, then at the base they are reinforced?

Anyway, I will not ask any more about that. Later today I will test with a static base.

The units that you send at the base will join another group (so they are 'deleted' from your group) and stay at the base as reinforcement

(Oops, I lied.) So, I have to go back to the static base to reinforce my missing 2 units, correct? I will not get a SOM reinforcement option? If I cannot get a SOM reinforcement, I will setup a radio command to see if it will reinforce.

Edited by CyOp

I think, for gameplay purposes, it's best to assume that anyone you send back on the chopper is deemed unfit by you and thus removed from your command for ongoing medical treatments :)

I know I mentioned it as a "bug" before, but I think it's fine now. Just got to accept the consequence of sending a troop back on a medevac helo, including yourself :)

As I observed before, it's still possible to re-recruit them manually if you are at their position i.e. you've been medevacced yourself :)

Well, I would be willing to bet I can reinforce using the SOM, from the field, I just have not tried it yet. I am taking a break and going to play a little. I am blue in the face from testing!

---------- Post added at 10:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 PM ----------

- "Fired" eventhandler isn't deleted if medevac is aborted/crashed/blowed up --- SOLVED ---

- Strange behaviour at the helo when in FOB --- SOLVED ---

- Rescue mission don't start in certain situations --- SOLVED ---

Solved another some bugs :)

4. Again, it would be good not to add anything else, yet. Let's just debug what is done. - Buuut, you can consider, if the helo (whatever) gets repaired during the rescue, (for instance, the player shows up with a repair truck), the RTB option could be reset, and the player could just send them 'home', OR, the option to RTB or have them join could be available. - Just something to think about.

---------- Post added at 04:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:32 PM ----------

Bug/s:

2a. Waypoint behaviour... enemy squad and enemy AA near LZ, ALL enemy set to never fire, as I could tell, NO enemy fires on Medevac, Medevac fires on AA, but not infantry, Medevac hovers, units disembark (kind of, see below), Corpsman joins, Medevac leaves as if in danger, third man out is suspended in air, I lose site of the Medevac (and unfortunately, lose the test, because), I happen to run UNDER suspended (in air) unit, and I die. LOL I know it's not funny, 'cus testing, but, it was FUNNY! Heh.

2b. I did have a unit I could switch to. It was linked to module and logic, just like starting player. I switched, saw the Abort Medevac option in center of monitor screen, but had no option in the radio menu to abort. No, to me, 2b is not a problem, because not the starting, linked soldier. 2b is just an FYI.

2c. After switching, the chopper came back, or was already on its way back, not sure, and just flew around my poor dead body! Heh.

(Except for the beginning waypoint behavior, the rest is probably because of original game 'code', AND because I had more than one unit linked. But, I thought it would work with more than one unit linked?)

I still need to test more with enemy infantry set to fire!

Edited by CyOp

4. Again, it would be good not to add anything else, yet. Let's just debug what is done. - Buuut, you can consider, if the helo (whatever) gets repaired during the rescue, (for instance, the player shows up with a repair truck), the RTB option could be reset, and the player could just send them 'home', OR, the option to RTB or have them join could be available. - Just something to think about.

---------- Post added at 04:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:32 PM ----------

Bug/s:

2a. Waypoint behaviour... enemy squad and enemy AA near LZ, ALL enemy set to never fire, as I could tell, NO enemy fires on Medevac, Medevac fires on AA, but not infantry, Medevac hovers, units disembark (kind of, see below), Corpsman joins, Medevac leaves as if in danger, third man out is suspended in air, I lose site of the Medevac (and unfortunately, lose the test, because), I happen to run UNDER suspended (in air) unit, and I die. LOL I know it's not funny, 'cus testing, but, it was FUNNY! Heh.

2b. I did have a unit I could switch to. It was linked to module and logic, just like starting player. I switched, saw the Abort Medevac option in center of monitor screen, but had no option in the radio menu to abort. No, to me, 2b is not a problem, because not the starting, linked soldier. 2b is just an FYI.

2c. After switching, the chopper came back, or was already on its way back, not sure, and just flew around my poor dead body! Heh.

(Except for the beginning waypoint behavior, the rest is probably because of original game 'code', AND because I had more than one unit linked. But, I thought it would work with more than one unit linked?)

I still need to test more with enemy infantry set to fire!

Thanks CyOp for the continuing bug report!! :D

The module is intended to be linked with only one unit (i.e. the group leader)..if this linked unit die and you switch to another one or respawn then all the Medevac Module's action/function migrate to this unit.

Thanks CyOp ;)!!

Bug/s:

3. In aborted.sqf... changed this...

_wpret setWaypointStatements ["true", "MM_CHOPPER land 'LAND'; MM_AVVIONE = 1; _y = [] execVM '\Medevac\Mia\checkkin.sqf'; MM_CHECKER = [] execVM 'checker.sqf'"];

to this...

_wpret setWaypointStatements ["true", "MM_CHOPPER land 'LAND'; MM_AVVIONE = 1; _y = [] execVM '\Medevac\Mia\checkkin.sqf'; MM_CHECKER = [] execVM '[color="Red"]\Medevac\Mia\[/color]checker.sqf'"];

Correct?

Fixed: now actions don't appear in the middle of the screen

Yes, exactly CyOp! mine fault! thanks CyOp!!