Sign in to follow this  
csj

disable landing gear on aircraft ?

I want to simulate damage to or malfunction of landing gear on an aircraft.

Simplist why I figure would be to disable landing gear on the aircraft,

locked in up position or maybe a peg or two down.

I have tried using the gear animationPhase but had no luck.

Any ideas on how this could be done ?

Hmmm...you might try this: instead of linking the anims to the animation source "gear" make it source "user". You then have to make script and add actions manually but you can have full control of the anim. Depending on damages you may remove the gear actions or just output a warning message for the pilot instead of animating the gear.

Main idea recap: don't have it linked to anim source "gear" but to "user". What you do with it then is up to you. ;)

As per Mykes post, and use below in the config to stop the ArmA automatic actions appearing in the aircrafts ingame menu.

gearRetracting = false;

If I understood it correctly, GearRetracting=False means the engine assumes the landing gear is permanently deployed? So you don't get the visuals but it's still there.

You can of course, animate the land contact points. But as far as the flight model goes, your gears are always down. Not that I can tell the difference between landing gear up and down, when it comes to flying. But it is worth a mention. It's probably only relevant when your belly hoping off a mountain :)

Yup, seems I will set it up the old OFP way

or not worry about it at all.

Thanks for replies

@UNN

i guess you're wrong there mate. gearretracting dose define if the vehicle has automatic or manual gear control. All air vehicles have set it to false but the Ka52 has it on true.

So gearRetracting does indeed control if the gear is player controllable (action menu) or automatic. But the animation source is still the same, it only differs by the way it is triggered.

Myke, all aircraft are set default true and choppers are set false in Bin\cfgvehicles.

So choppers with retractable gear would have to redifine gearretracting as true.

Isn't the engine scripted that plane explodes if it touches the ground without gear down? I've tested it out with Harrier / F35 hover and both explode instantly even on a very smooth touchdown?

Had belly landings from ofp days - same setup

i know its irrelevant but can someone help me animate gears?

i also want it to animate automaticly like blackshark ka52.