Sign in to follow this  
Lucky44

how to put soldiers in disguise?

I want to do a black ops, undercover type mission, and since the soldiers are not supposed to be there, they should not be in fatigues.

Any suggestions on how to do this?

Place civilians in the mission editor, save the mission, look at mission.sqm and change the "CIV" at the root of your desired units' entries to "WEST", "GUER" or "EAST". Then load the mission in the editor and the civilians will be on a different side. Their civilian status will be reset if you edit the units again however.

Place civilians in the mission editor, save the mission, look at mission.sqm and change the "CIV" at the root of your desired units' entries to "WEST", "GUER" or "EAST". Then load the mission in the editor and the civilians will be on a different side. Their civilian status will be reset if you edit the units again however.

Can't you just group the civilians with a unit from one of the sides and set said units probability of presence to 0? Or is there some side-effect of that that I am unaware of?

You could also use units from the Guerrilla side or Insurgent side depending on who you're fighting.

Can't you just group the civilians with a unit from one of the sides and set said units probability of presence to 0? Or is there some side-effect of that that I am unaware of?

You could also use units from the Guerrilla side or Insurgent side depending on who you're fighting.

That is the best way to do it, as said, if you save the mission the side of the unit will reset and it will become a nightmare constantly updating. Placing a West soldier down thats a rank higher (had problems in the past of it not working because of this) and making any civilians you want become west side by grouping them to the soldier will work. Changing the soliders probabability to 0% will make sure he is non existant and the civilians (well, blackops now) are in the group on their own.

You may also be interested in the setCaptive command. This will ensure no enemy units shoot your blackops. Even if they look like civilians, without setting this to true the enemy will still shoot them (as the game knows they are on side 'West').

Thanks for those ideas, all.

Boy, thinking of the SetCaptive factor makes it more complicated. I hadn't even thought about that, but of course, if the Recon team looks like civilians, why should the OpFor know to shoot them? But with setCaptive, will the OpFor fire back, even if the Recon team (players) start shooting at them? I seem to recall that they will not. I suppose a trigger could be set to detect if the players kill anyone, and then remove setCaptive at that point, huh??

Yes, OpFor won't shoot on BluFor with setCaptive on. But you could add a "killed" eventhandler to every unit on the map and then check if a unit was killed by the player.

or check to see if anyone has fired a gun. I think you can do that but I do not know how.

or check to see if anyone has fired a gun. I think you can do that but I do not know how.

Assign a fired event handler to the undercover player.