Sign in to follow this  
Krout

How to protect a player on respawn?

Hi all, Happy New Year.

Is there way to protect a respawning player in the first few seconds? (the poor guy gets killed by "mean people":) multiple times before he even moves) Make him invisible for that time, maybe? Somebody mentioned to me in a game: "give them respawn armor" - is there such thing?

Thank you

K

Thank you, but it looks like it applies to single player.

It has to be run on each machines individually. In MP mode there is no way everyone will do it, or know how to do it.

K

It can be syncronized through publicVariable or by creating game logics with the appropriate code in its init field.

It's too complicated for me, sorry. I appreciate your help, though. I am looking for something more simplistic. I am not a programmer:), just a player:yay:

You can create a zone in which only friendly units are allowed, so that the enemy can't get near the spawn point.

Sorry, still does not help, I play DM. Thank you.

IMO, let the players protect themselves! No need to resort to fake things like not allowing damage.

- Place the main spawn FAR from the action and used forward areas if need be (ie flag teleport) or even better, transports.

- Use a mobile spawnpoint so that players can drive away if spotted.

- Use AI to patrol your spawn area.

- AI satellite spotting which marks all enemies within a certain distance to your main base with a map marker (if your main spawn is like 5km from the playing area, you could have a 2km safe zone... more than enough to detect any sniper).

And I'm sure one could come up with more ideas.

You could try using the HandleDamage eventhandler

After respawn of the player, something like

player addEventHandler["HandleDamage", {false}];
sleep 5;
player removeAllEventHandlers "HandleDamage";

Thank you everybody. I really appreciate you trying to help me, but unless you can teach me at least basic (I don't mean programming language) programming, I don't think I can use your advices. I was looking for something like: go there and click that button, and don't forget to safe on exit... If that solution does not exist, I apologize for wasting your time.

K

Thank you everybody. I really appreciate you trying to help me, but unless you can teach me at least basic (I don't mean programming language) programming, I don't think I can use your advices. I was looking for something like: go there and click that button, and don't forget to safe on exit... If that solution does not exist, I apologize for wasting your time.

K

IMHO it's quite odd to ask how to implement such an advanced and trivial feature when you should be asking how to make a mission. You can't do it with a click of a button, you have to put HitmanFF's lines in a script that activates when the player dies or respawns.

You asked how to protect a player on respawn in the multiplayer forum, so you got the theoretical answers of the question (and there are many).

If you want a script you can use, post in the mission editing forum instead.

IMHO it's quite odd to ask how to implement such an advanced and trivial feature when you should be asking how to make a mission.

Thank you, I guess I'm an odd person:confused:. I did not know that it was such an advanced feature, sorry. I see more complicated (in my opinion) features in the game that controlled by the click of a button but, what do I know.:icon_sad:

Ones again - sorry for asking.

K

Krout matey.. you add these as part of the mission building,,,, WHEN creating a DM map or CTF etc.. if you are interested in making a map then please check this link out... Its simple buddy... once you have made your first one,, it all clicks into place.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=79842

Krout matey.. you add these as part of the mission building,,,, WHEN creating a DM map or CTF etc.. if you are interested in making a map then please check this link out... Its simple buddy... once you have made your first one,, it all clicks into place.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=79842

Thanks Taxman, I am using sbsmac's scriptpack already. And you're right - it is easy to use... I guess I am not looking hard enough. I'll look again.

K

Ah - in that case there is a way to do what you want..

1) make sure the respawn zone is away from the playing area

2) Place a paradrop marker over the entire respawn area.

3) Add the following keywords to the paradrop....

vehicle=none,height=0,automap,random,dropzones=any,waveTiming=0

4) Place 1 (or more) dropzone markers over the playing area.

You should find that when a player is killed, they now stay in respawn until they are alive again at which time they are magically teleported to a random point in the playing area.

This video shows paradrop examples (around 2:30)

There is only one thing to watch out for if using this approach - make sure you use minefields rather than borders otherwise if the respawn area is outside of the borders you may find players are killed as they respawn for being 'out of bounds'.

Edited by sbsmac

Thank you sbsmac, it sounds promising and I think I can do it. I'll take it slowly, step by step (don't laugh, for you it might be obvious, but not for me). I have filling I'm going to learn something new:yay:

Thanks

K

---------- Post added at 02:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:02 PM ----------

Just tried your advice, sbsmac.

Got half way through (which is good for me).

I respawn in the respawn zone outside of the play area, and unfortunately stay there. After a few seconds the map pops up with the message "9 seconds until the next respawn wave. Click on the map to parachute in". I did place three dropzone markers in the play zone and clicking on the map does not parachute me in. At that point I am stuck and the only way out of it is to re-start the game.

Any advice?

Thank you

K

I read again your post and found that I missed word ENTIRE in the second line ( Place a paradrop marker over the entire respawn area.)

will try again, maybe that's it.

No, did not help. The map poped up right away.

Edited by Krout

Can you double-check the keywords you have used ? If you are being told that it is9 seconds until respawn, that implies that the waveTiming=0 is not being noticed.

Also, when you click on the map, you should see 'respawn' or "you can't respawn here" appear. If you are really stuck, post a link to your mission.sqm file.

I "copy and paste" the line from your post, I don't have "9 seconds.." anymore.

About the "click on the map to respawn" - if I minimize the map all the way I can see "Can't respawn here" message at the very lower left corner. I know I did not click there...

K

sbsmac, you are a genius:worship:. After I found and corrected my OWN mistakes (made while following your directions:dummy:), - it's working great!

Thank you

You (and mac) would prob find it easier matey if you took this to his MAIN post http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=79842 that way he can answer you quicker and easier,, or even some of the other guys on their might have some input also.... Just being helpful.... he will prob see this also but im sure it would be easier for him matey.

Thanks Taxman,

I don't suppose I can move my post myself, so I will just re-post it in his thread.

I am hopelessly confused where to post what, sorry.

K

Hi Krout

Simple solution Place Spawns behind a double layer of HESCO bags with a corridor between them and multiple entrances off set so that direct fire on the spawn is not possible.

You can of course download the myriad of existing missions by other mission makers to see how they do it and or use them as templates as well check OFPEC and this forums missions editing section for drop in scripts to do what you want.

You can use the pre created mission templates for such missions available in the multiplayer editor by choosing: multiplayer then new (bottom right), then OK, select LAN, then OK, the choose New Wizard and proceed from there but beware it does not have the fine control of the editor.

As what you are talking is mission editing and not general multiplayer I suggest you ask the question there and look in the FAQ there as the question has probably been answered hundreds of times kind Regards walker.

The forum also has a search function.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

Walker, if you'd read the thread before posting you would have seen it was a question about setting up protection in a DM. Having fixed spawn zones isn't really a practical solution in that scenario.