Sign in to follow this  
tyler4171

Chinook Rooftop insertion

I have unsuccesfully got an AI pilot to do this (refrence pic in spoiler) Anyone have any suggestions?

chopinesrt.png

Nope i wont stop :) i just hope there is a way to make the AI do that so my TRU can do Hostage missions (fastroping is a bit old for me now)

AI are very difficult to position when they are in the air. They don't like staying in the same place and are easily distracted etc.

Does the helicopter have to fly to that point as well? My idea is that if you dont' need to see the AI fly there and just have it hovering then you could just attach the helicopter to a gamelogic that is positioned there. The AI wont move at all after that but should keep the rotors running etc.

AI are very difficult to position when they are in the air. They don't like staying in the same place and are easily distracted etc.

Does the helicopter have to fly to that point as well? My idea is that if you dont' need to see the AI fly there and just have it hovering then you could just attach the helicopter to a gamelogic that is positioned there. The AI wont move at all after that but should keep the rotors running etc.

Never thought about that! That may actually work! Would it be possible though once me and my squad are on the roof that the heli detaches from the logic and flys off (dont want him hovering there the entire op)

I don't see why that isn't a problem. If you make a waypoint for the helicopter and sync it to a trigger in the editor, you can then somehow set that trigger off (walking into it etc) and it would then just detatch as well as initiating the waypoint.

Useful stuff..

attachTo command

detatch command

To set the height of the gamelogic, place this in the init field of the logic changing x with the number of the correct height. Will take some trial and error methods

this setpos [(getpos this select 0),(getpos this select 1),(getpos this select 2)+X]

If you really have problems finding the correct height then maybe try this:

Create a trigger and set its activation to Radio Alpha and also set to repeatidly.

In the activation put this

hint format ["%1", getpos vehicle player select 2];

Now, fly to where you are in that image and stay there. When in the positon hit 0-0-1 on your keyboard and it will show a hint.

This will be your value for X (doesnt need all the decimal points, maybe to only 2 decimal places).

To start the mission off you could have a cutscene of a helicopter flying in low to where you are to be inserted, then fading out as it gets to the point.. then fade back in with you in the back of the helicopter ready to disembark.

Good luck :)

Edited by JasonO

Thanks! Ill give it go and get back to ya

He seems to not be attaching to the logic..... He flies to the waypoint and hovers there, he does not attach

Ok i got him attached, but now hes all jumpy and wanting to move away, i tried using "chop1 disableAI "MOVE" and that didnt work, any advice?

Edited by tyler4171

Thanks! Ill give it go and get back to ya

He seems to not be attaching to the logic..... He flies to the waypoint and hovers there, he does not attach

Ok i got him attached, but now hes all jumpy and wanting to move away, i tried using "chop1 disableAI "MOVE" and that didnt work, any advice?

If you use the enableSimulation false will stop the bouncing, but then i becomes impossible to exit or enter the vehicle so I am not really sure if this is helpful. I used it for getting a deck lift to move up and down with a jet on a LHD, though had issues in MP with it and scrapped the idea. enableSimulation was the only way I found to stop the bouncing.

I hope it at least points you in the right direction.

Edit: Ok just did a quick test in game by attaching a helicopter to a humvee, but I had off set the heli about 30m up. The heli was perfectly smooth. Maybe in your script have the object you are attaching to at ground level so that the two objects are not "colliding" which is what causes the bouncing. Then alter the height of the offset to lower, then after raise the heli to a safe height to detach and fly away.

this attachto [c1, [0,0,30]]

Above is what I placed in the heli init to test. would need to tweek the attachto moment so not to cause a big jump in position when initially attaching.

Hope this helps.

Edited by blakeace
New Idea

YOu might want to use mando heliroute script.

Problem is Mando Heliroute shuts off the Engine and if it shuts off the Heli falls out fo the sky, note the picture, the heli is on the side of the building with the ramp down ;)