Sign in to follow this  
FryzieDelta

Aussie Assault

aussie-1.gif

This is a mod which will be designed for ArmA II and Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising. It will introduce various units, vehicles, weaponry and equipment from all three services of the Australian Defence Force (Royal Australian Navy, Australian Army, Royal Australian Air Force) to the game. Also featured will be one of their closest allies, the New Zealand Defence Force. The list below identifies all of the weapons, equipment, vehicles and units that I am considering using in the mod. This list will be updated over time, based on game and mod developments. Some weapons and equipment in the list are already in game, but will remain in the list just in case they are removed or a different variation of the same weapon is used, or simply for reference. This list is set to cover the modern and near-future Defence Force.

Weapons:

Australia

- Pistols (L9A1, Glock 17)

- Sub-Machineguns (MP5A3, MP5SD3, MP5KA4, MP5SD4)

- Shotguns (Model 870P)

- Assault Rifles (F88, F88S, F88C, F88S-A1C, M4A5, G36K, AICW easter egg) with various attachments

- Sniper Rifles (SR-98, SR-25, Lapua Blaser Tactical 2, AW50F)

- Machineguns (F89A1, F89A1-Para, MAG-58) with various attachments

- Heavy Weapons (M2HB, M2QCB, Mk19 AGL, M242, M781)

- Anti-Tank Weapons (M72A6 LDFSW, M3 MDFSW, FGM-148 Javelin MRAAW)

- Artillery (M252 81mm Mortar, RBS-70, L119 Field Gun, M198 Howitzer)

- Explosives (M18A1 Claymore, F1 Fragmentation Grenade, M83 Smoke Grenade, other TBD)

New Zealand

- Pistols (P226)

- Sub-Machineguns (MP5A3, MP5SD3)

- Shotguns (Benelli M3)

- Assault Rifles (F88, F88S, F88C, F88S-A1C, M16A3) with various attachments

- Sniper Rifles (AW)

- Machineguns (C9, C9-Para, MAG-58)

- Heavy Weapons (M2HB, M242)

- Anti-Tank Weapons (M72A6 LDFSW, M3 MDFSW, FGM-148 Javelin MRAAW)

- Artillery (L16A2 81mm Mortar, Mistral VLLAD, L119 Field Gun)

- Explosives (M-DN71 Fragmentation Grenade, other TBD)

Equipment:

Australia

- Weapon Sights (Swarovski1.5x, CompM2, SpecterOS3.4x, ACOG, VIPIR 2)

- Night Equipment (ANPVS-14 NVG)

- Uniforms (DPCU, DPDU, DPNU, Black, Grey)

New Zealand

- Night Equipment (M983 NVG)

- Uniforms (Woodland DPM, Desert DPM, Blue)

Vehicles:

Australia

- M1A1 A.I.M

- ASLAV variants (ASLAV-25, Personnel Carrier, Command, Surveillance, Ambulance)

- M113AS3/AS4 variants (Personnel Carrier, Ambulance, Command Vehicle, Mortar)

- Bushmaster variants (Infantry Mobility Vehicle, Ambulance)

- U1700L Unimog

- Motorbikes (Honda XR250, Polaris 4x4)

- Land Rover Perentie 6x6 (Long Range Patrol Vehicle, Ambulance)

- Land Rover Perentie 4x4 (Mobility, Tactical Assault, Airfield Defence, Surveillance)

- Helicopters (S-70A-9, S-70B-2, MRH-90 TTH, CH-47D, Tiger ARH)

- Water craft (LCM-8, LCVP Mk5, F470 Zodiac, Folding Kayac)

- Planes (C-130J-30, F/A-18F, F-35A)

New Zealand

- NZLAV IMV

- U1700L Unimog

- Pinzgauer LOV Variants (General Service, Ambulance, Special Operations)

- Armoured Pinzgauer LOV Variants (Command and Control, Weapons Carrier)

- Helicopters (SH-2G, UH-1H, NH90 TTH)

- Water craft (F470 Zodiac)

- Planes (C-130H)

Units:

Australia

- Reserve Infantry (Light Infantry)

- Reserve Infantry (Light Cavalry)

- Royal Australian Regiment (Light Infantry)

- Royal Australian Regiment (Parachute Infantry)

- Royal Australian Regiment (Mechanised Infantry)

- 1st Commando Regiment

- 2nd Commando Regiment

- Special Air Service Regiment

- Tactical Assault Group (West)

- Tactical Assault Group (East)

- Clearance Divers

- Airfield Defence Guards

- Australian Federal Police Operational Responce Group

- Crew and miscellaneous units

New Zealand

- Reserve Infantry

- Royal NZ Infantry Regiment (Light Infantry)

- Royal NZ Infantry Regiment (Mechanised Infantry)

- 1st New Zealand Special Air Service

- Counter Terrorist Tactical Assault Group

- Crew and miscellaneous units

Other:

- Island(s) to represent Australia's involvement in a real conflict (classified)

- If the situation permits, some military forces from 2 other nations ;) (Calassified)

W.I.P Reports

Click HERE for Promotional Update 1

Video Links

Real World Stuff (don't worry, no distressing images)

In game mod footage

Nothing here at this time.

Notes:

I am working on the actual models, scripts etc myself. The reason for this is that this project is primarily a learning experience for me, but with the added intention of giving something to the gaming community. As such I do not intend to join with another mod team at this time. I am however open to any and all input and advice. If anyone see’s any mistakes, such as a missing or incorrect item on the list or problems such as missing or incorrect details on a model, please notify me. I may also be able to create a replacement pack as well. In addition, once this project is completed I may consider moving on the modeling other era's of war that Australia has been involved in.

Credits:

Logo designed by .:|JYD|:.PNS, winner of the Aussie Assault Mod Art Competition, Codemasters Forums!

Additional note: pretty much all of the above has been copy + pasted from my thread on the CM forums, except for a few edits here and there. I meant to expand to these forums quite a while ago, but only just got around to it. Please forgive me for liking both games :p .

Here's an image of my first model (incomplete) to show I am seriouse about this:

F88_Render.png

Edited by FryzieDelta
Replacing logo with one with a smaller file size.

How do you plan to make this for OFP: DR? :/

Also, you may want to talk to the Australians At War addon team seeing as having two mods for what is essentially the same thing seems a bit redundant and a waste of resources. Don't get me wrong, I'm itching for a good Australian mod pack, but I think your resources would be better spent on helping/combining with the AAW team.

Cheers

EDIT:

also.. that seems like a LOT of work. It's not just you working on this is it :/

Edited by cm.

2 mods? try like 4 or 5, AAW, PA, ADF, crashes ANZAC, then this one...

I have to agree with post1...two different engines, coding languages etc, not to mention rigging and animation differences. Wow that's a lot of work. I am assuming you have a team of 10 or 15 people who can do everything? Not being sarcastic i really wish you the best of luck, although we already have a well established aussie mod out there.

Firstly, my apologies to the for the large image file size on the logo. I'll fix that up as soon as I can before I put it back up.

@cm.

I'll figure it out ;)

@cm. and Aeneas2020

Like I said, I'm flying solo and it's a learning experience. I've got very little to do in the way of working and I have no idea how long it will be before the ADF lets me in, so I've got plenty of time to do as much work as I can. I know it'll be very hard with all the tasks I'll need to do at once, so it'll be a good test to see how well I can do something with practically all training and experience being on the fly. I have looked at the excellent work done by the AAW team, but their plans aren't as idiotic as mine so I think I'll keep going this alone. Besides, more Aussie mods can only be good right? :D

Well just keep the positive attitude, I've been on/run 2 large mod teams in my time and managing people is never easy but it is easier than going it alone. My best advice to you in the short term is get someone on board for the coding, rigging and animation side of things (1 for each would be better). However these guys are rarer than unicorn poop. So take your time and lean heavily on the community. Just remember if something doesn't work you've just eliminated one possibility on the way to fixing your problem and if I can help you out with any texture related questions feel free to drop me a pm.

oh and p.s. one BIGGIE...pick one engine (pref the one with modding tools availible i.e. arma2) and stick to it. The reason for this is because you won't be able to use anything you make for one engine with the other. Now i should probably explain that. The two engines are totally different so the coding, rigging and animation sequences will also be totally different. From what i can tell from watching and doing a little digging into the OFP:DR stuff tells me that the skeleton (the various bones etc used to bend ur model )might be very different than in arma2 therefore the models you make would probs need to be resized and tweaked to accomodate this as well (someone who does a lot of rigging might want to question me on this but i've had this trouble moving from say Quake3 or UE2.5 in the past etc). Even if you can use the same models and textures for both thats probably 5% of the total work of a mod you can reuse. It really would make sense for you to concentrate on one game.

Edited by Aeneas2020

Yeah I can say from personal experience that rigging a model takes ages! Tried it in ARMA2 and never got it working ok... not to say its impossible though.

Good luck with the project, if you ever have questions about modelling related issues I'll do my best :)

Good luck mate, although I have to admit it's a bit tiring to see 500 different australian addon teams forming. If we got these addon makers to actually form into a central mod-team we'd get units in game a lot faster than a new group starting from scratch every 3 months. :(

At the rate we're going we'll end up with more aussie mod teams than actual addons released. :butbut:

oh and p.s. one BIGGIE...pick one engine (pref the one with modding tools availible i.e. arma2) and stick to it. The reason for this is because you won't be able to use anything you make for one engine with the other. Now i should probably explain that. The two engines are totally different so the coding, rigging and animation sequences will also be totally different. From what i can tell from watching and doing a little digging into the OFP: DR stuff tells me that the skeleton (the various bones etc used to bend ur model )might be very different than in arma2 therefore the models you make would probs need to be resized and tweaked to accomodate this as well (someone who does a lot of rigging might want to question me on this but i've had this trouble moving from say Quake3 or UE2.5 in the past etc). Even if you can use the same models and textures for both thats probably 5% of the total work of a mod you can reuse. It really would make sense for you to concentrate on one game.

At the moment I'm pretty much fully focused on ArmA II anyway, seeing as I can't really do much for OFP: DR without mod tools. But for now I just want to get the models themselves and the textures out of the way. Once I get the F88's done I'll have a look to see how hard it is to get them in game at a basic level, but won't go into custom animations and all that until I've finished all the models.

Good luck with the project, if you ever have questions about modelling related issues I'll do my best :)

Will do :)

Good luck mate, although I have to admit it's a bit tiring to see 500 different australian addon teams forming. If we got these addon makers to actually form into a central mod-team we'd get units in game a lot faster than a new group starting from scratch every 3 months. :(

At the rate we're going we'll end up with more aussie mod teams than actual addons released. :butbut:

Once I get a real feel for the weight of doing all the work for my mod I'll see if I need to join a mod team. Though I'm stubborn, so I'll probably keep trying to go it alone :D

Once I get a real feel for the weight of doing all the work for my mod I'll see if I need to join a mod team. Though I'm stubborn, so I'll probably keep trying to go it alone :D

I have a feeling you will be joining a mod team quicker than you think, which is a good thing.

thats a huge list for a solo operation, good luck knackers ;)

Aussie Assault: Promotional Update 1

I had origionally intended to do a WIP report on the 28th to give myself an initial motivational boost to get to work. The boost worked, and I've learned alot about how I need to go about working on the modelling side of things. Among what I've learned is that subsurface modifiers (what I am using now) result in an extremely excessive number of polygons and has a severe negative effect on performance. As a result, I need to go over the models I've made so far again and manually sort them out. However, finding out things like this is all part of the process, and I hope to have decent models with low enough poly counts ready soon. Because I need to implement these changes, I didn't think I'd be able to release a decent WIP report on the 28th, so I'm releasing this 'promotional update' early.

But enough of the dreary and boring stuff. I know some of you are wanting to see what I've actually been doing over the last fortnight. The following images are renders of six F88 Austeyr variants I have been working on. I've also added some very basic colours to the models to give you an idea of what I'm trying to accomplish. These are the models created using subsurfacing. And yes, I am aware that there are a few minor details missing.

Update1_Render1.gif

F88 variants in progress so far.

Update1_Render2.gif

F88 and F88S.

Update1_Render3.gif

F88S-A1C and F88C.

Update1_Render4.gif

F88 and F88S with M203 P1 GLA.

Update1_Render5.gif

F88 close up.

Once I've fixed up the poly count issues I'll get around to fixing up the minor details (most probably simply through texturing, depending on how minor a detail it is).

Thank you to everyone who has offered their support so far. I'll look forward to bringing some life of my own into the game, and I'll look forward to seeing the Aussies and Kiwis playing in their own uniforms!

flashhider seems pretty detailed, maybe too detailed. is that 1st peron or 3rd person model?

Hmm guns looks nice , btw how many polys it got? btw don't forget to smooth some sharp lines :D

btw your magazine looks wrong - i mean it doesn't look like waffle

305200.jpg

Edited by RobertHammer

impresive work mate, keep going, and thanks for latest news on this, looks good.

flashhider seems pretty detailed, maybe too detailed. is that 1st peron or 3rd person model?
Hmm guns looks nice , btw how many polys it got? btw don't forget to smooth some sharp lines :D

btw your magazine looks wrong - i mean it doesn't look like waffle

Because I was using subsurfaces, there is an excessive number of poly's in area's where it isn't needed and in some places where it isn't even visible. But I have a better idea of what I'm doing now and I should be able to go over most of the models and manually add the detail by making it less detailed, if that makes any sense :D.

These ones aren't really either 1st or 3rd person models at this stage, more me figuring out the best way to go about making everything. Seeing as I'm going to be going back over and doing it manually anyway I'll set up the differant levels of quality and the differant views very soon.

You're definately right about the magazine Rob, another negative effect brought about by subsurfaces. Makes things round when I want them square and square when I want them round :mad:

looks very nice, are you doing the textures yourself?

Those aren't really textures, at least I don't think they can be imported directly into the game. I'm using Blender to make the models, so those are just some basic colours I added using materials to get a little better idea of how it will turn out in the end. The actual textures I'll be using will be a little more detailed.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. It's very much appreciated :)

I know those aren't textured models...I do textures you see, it was a round about way of me asking if you wanted help...:rolleyes:

I know those aren't textured models...I do textures you see, it was a round about way of me asking if you wanted help...:rolleyes:

Hahahaha, be easy he's new at this :p

OH! I get it now :o

Yes, I'm going to try and do the textures myself. But I'll add you to my list of people-who-have-offered-help-to-contact-if-I-stop-being-stubborn :)