Sign in to follow this  
-SONAF-Rebel

Built-in addon manager

My suggestion would be to make an in-built addon manager for Arma 2. This would help us to easily oversee what addons we have, what do we use at the moment. And if you want to join a multi server which does not allow the use of any addon, then you can easily uncheck it (under the addon options) while you are still in the game. No need to alternate the game icon or use 3rd party addon managers.

According to my idea it would look like an option in Main menu called Addon manager, you click on it and a little window pops up showing two boxes. In the left box you see the addons which are avaliable on the internet, and in the right one of course the ones you already have. This would add one more thing to do for addon creators, because they will have to submit their work and the download link to a central database that supports the in-game addon manager.

The system would be Drag and Drop. From the left box, you drag the desirable addon, and you drop it into the right box. This sounds like very user friendly for me. Once you dropped the item, the download process automatically starts, and when it is finished you will see the downloaded addon in the right box ... of course in the backround the system automatically places the given addon in a decent way to the right folder.

With this way, the game could easily separate one addon from another, while for the user it is still a friendly environment.

What do you think?

Edited by [SONAF]Rebel

I think the issue is that the game preloads data from the mods you use making it impossible to activate/deactivate once the game is running.

I think the issue is that the game preloads data from the mods you use making it impossible to activate/deactivate once the game is running.

I think it won`t be too complicated to change the current system to the one I mentioned in my first comment. The point is that we need to give the game a more user friendly environment, in case devs want more sales. And I believe my idea is a good step along this way.

You can add a manager but what I am saying is that the game is dependent upon information compiled at startup making it impossible to change features on the fly. What you are calling "not too complicated" requires a major change in the game engine and how it compiles and uses that data.

I don't disagree with what you are suggesting, I was just offering an explanation on why it hasn't already been done. BIS has updated their engine but the core is the same.

You can add a manager but what I am saying is that the game is dependent upon information compiled at startup making it impossible to change features on the fly. What you are calling "not too complicated" requires a major change in the game engine and how it compiles and uses that data.

I don't disagree with what you are suggesting, I was just offering an explanation on why it hasn't already been done. BIS has updated their engine but the core is the same.

Yep, I understand and agree 100% with your point. Less functional things should dissappear, though, while they are replaced with better ones.

it doesn't have to be ingame. there should be a launcher outside the game with options

like launching the game, choosing mods, and options like disabling intro etc...

Would be nice but he was referring to on the fly changes.

Yep, my point is to make it easier to join Addon required multi servers ... you just need to drag and drop the needed addons, check and apply, and you are good to go.

For example this occured me today: I could not join a server because it required the new ACE2 mod, which I do not have actually. So, I tried to look for a download source which took me about 5 min, then I realized that I do not understand what the heck they want from me.. it was so complex, so I decided not to download it.

To summarize my idea in one sentence: making easier the use of addons would be a great advantage, and this applies to every addon.

Not to mention how cool would it be to see the number of new content/day by the community on the box of the game (It is obvious that the looks of the box has a huge influence at Point of Sale stage).

Rebel;1510658']Yep' date=' my point is to make it easier to join Addon required multi servers ... you just need to drag and drop the needed addons, check and apply, and you are good to go.

For example this occured me today: I could not join a server because it required the new ACE2 mod, which I do not have actually. So, I tried to look for a download source which took me about 5 min, then I realized that I do not understand what the heck they want from me.. it was so complex, so I decided not to download it.

To summarize my idea in one sentence: making easier the use of addons would be a great advantage, and this applies to every addon.

Not to mention how cool would it be to see the number of new content/day by the community on the box of the game (It is obvious that the looks of the box has a huge influence at Point of Sale stage).[/quote']It's not all that complicated. I was daunted at first myself. Unfortunately, the mod is so big that without the updater you will have to download nearly 1G every day to stay up to date. The installer simply updates the relevant files. This wouldn't be helped by your suggestion.

Definitely would be handy with the many other mods that aren't so hefty. Gets to be a pain closing the game just to changed the mods, it's not like they are total conversions.

Even if it has to be loaded on exe start... just have the farking addon manager restart the exe on changes. DUUUUUUUUUUH.

I remember playing Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear in 2000 and having a similar feature.

Simplify the OP's idea down to this: you have a folder called "Mods", inside this folder you place the traditional modfolders. From the game's options or main menu you can go to "mods" and select or de-select which addons you want the game to run with checkboxes. Just like when you change certain video settings, you will receive a message dialog saying "For selected changes to take effect, please close and restart the application" or whatever.

Why a game this in-depth, this open to modification, with such a large community of mod-makers (and mod-users) doesn't have a system like this already is beyond me.

There is already a solution for what the OP is asking: Yoma Addon Sync 2009.

What it is, and what it can do:

1. It is an exterior game launcher, addon manager and synchronizer

2. It allows you to query A1 or A2 gamespy MP server list, see what mods the server is running (yoma will pick those exact same addons the server is using if you have it on your HDD), and if the server is configed as repository, it will begin downloading (syncing up ) with the server mods - downloading only what client is missing, or updating

3. You can connect directly to a specific server via Yoma (no need to go through Main Menu for that)

4. It allows to set your server as repository so that clients can connect no matter what mods you are using

5. Features a fully automated repository .pbo builder

6. Automated software updater

7. BIS beta patch notifier.

8. etc etc etc

Unfortunately, there is only a couple of server that have Yoma configed properly, and thus able to synk up their server content with clients, doing EXACTLY what the OP was on about.

Yoma himself is not a very good PR guy, hence the low number of ppl actually using this great piece of software

Instead, i see a lot of ppl using other game launchers available, which don't come even close to what YAS can do...pity

Edited by PuFu

There is already a solution for what the OP is asking: Yoma Addon Sync 2009.

What it is, and what it can do:

1. It is an exterior game launcher, addon manager and synchronizer

2. It allows you to query A1 or A2 gamespy MP server list, see what mods the server is running (yoma will pick those exact same addons the server is using if you have it on your HDD), and if the server is configed as repository, it will begin downloading (syncing up ) with the server mods - downloading only what client is missing, or updating

3. You can connect directly to a specific server via Yoma (no need to go through Main Menu for that)

4. It allows to set your server as repository so that clients can connect no matter what mods you are using

5. Features a fully automated repository .pbo builder

6. Automated software updater

7. BIS beta patch notifier.

8. etc etc etc

Unfortunately, there is only a couple of server that have Yoma configed properly, and thus able to synk up their server content with clients, doing EXACTLY what the OP was on about.

Yoma himself is not a very good PR guy, hence the low number of ppl actually using this great piece of software

Instead, i see a lot of ppl using other game launchers available, which don't come even close to what YAS can do...pity

That is a good thing when communtiy can fix few problems that the devs neglected. Yoma also sounds like a good stuff.

But I think it is not the right solution for this problem. Just imagine if you were a 30 year old dad browsing between realistic shooter games like Arma and you decide to buy it. You bring it home, install it and when you finally ready to start to play, it takes you 2 or more hours to discover how this game can be controlled, and at the end you finally got bored from this nonsense and drop the whole game.

Same applies to addons. Normal users who just buy and wants to play do not have the time to search every forum for solutions like Yoma.

These solutions must be implemented into the game itself in order to make this game a bit more userfriendly. 2 or 3 clikcks maximum that is now userfriendly.

About the contol system. We need to use more than 101 keys for controlling the beast. I pesonally do not get why this whole system can not be similar like in Battlefield, where while you are an infantry you do not need to have the controls for driving or flying, and when you board a vehicle the whole keyboard switches to vechicle controls in a sec. This way the action menu problem can also be solved.

I would like to ask you what do you think of user created mission like this?

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=9128&comments=1

It uses a few addons, which is cool but on the other hand it could get frustrating to obtain and install all the required addons.

A solution must be implemented within the game to support the creators and users.

Even if it has to be loaded on exe start... just have the farking addon manager restart the exe on changes. DUUUUUUUUUUH.

+1 I totaly agree here

We need this

What would be sweet is an official addon server and built in program for browsing, downloading and installing addons. All addons come with descriptions and maybe some small image. That would be sweet indeed.

What would be sweet is an official addon server and built in program for browsing, downloading and installing addons. All addons come with descriptions and maybe some small image. That would be sweet indeed.

thats something like I think of .. yes :)