Sign in to follow this  
jasonnoguchi

Most Effective Ways of Using AI Squad?

Share your experience guys! :)

Yes, I am quite frustrated that I can't really make my squad do anything decent. Not even a simple suppress and flank maneuver... the flankers merely moved to the flank without outflanking the enemy position and the guys supposed to provide suppressive fire never did...sigh... I remember how easy it was back in the COD1 days.

How are you guys using your AI squad?

Share your experience guys! :)

How are you guys using your AI squad?

Same as you. That's why I don't really play SP anymore, or at least not the missions with a very big friendly AI squad. I can't seem to get them to do what I want so I almost solely play coop with human friendlies. Or in SP I play small scale spec-ops mission with 3 or 4 man team while doing almost everything on my own.

I'm also interested if there are others with some tips.

Right now they do need some micro-management, and they are very inconsistent, but you can do some cool stuff with them.

What´s of course not helping is that some of the labels in the command menu are simply wrong. "Advance" tells a Unit to take point, for example. "Fall back" is Rear Guard, and the "Flank" commands tell the AI to take up Flank guard.

When told to attack an enemy, they automatically try to flank him.

One thing I could suggest is check rotkep´s guide here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=81123

I also made a couple of videos to show off what the AI can do on my meTyoob account:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Waaaghster#p/a/u/0/MQVULjx95Uw

http://www.youtube.com/user/Waaaghster#p/u/3/5TVAdGZoANc

However, I agree that controlling the AI is a major pain in the backside right now, and I´ve started pondering about how I could contribute to improving it. Not much progress right now: at the moment it seems about as good as it can be without actually changing the AI command system around in a major fashion.

What i generally did is 'pilot' to the battlefield, and let them do the shooting. I just watch the fireworks. Giving them targets, assign watch sector, etc. Most of the time I tell them to 'STOP' or 'WAIT FOR ME' and I will scout some place to better position my squad, then I tell them to move to the positon one colour team at a time. when under fire, it can get a long while for them to get there, so I usually tell them to HOLD FIRE and set them to AWARE mode and pray they will get to where I want safely. For best result, I think you have to withdraw them from the engagement area first, then send them to the position.

All in all, generally I let my AI do the shooting and I just 'pilot' them to the waypoint/objective.

One thing I could suggest is check rotkep´s guide here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=81123

Thanks a lot! checking it out. Also, I never knew flank, advance and stuff like that didn't mean what I thought they meant! hahahaha Thanks!!

They really should make like SOP like commands (like the kind in the SWAT series) where the AI soldiers automatically organise themselves and attack or move in a certain fashion. Like the LEFT / RIGHT FLANK command should have the machine guns automatically providing cover fire and the assault team automatically go about their business of flanking the enemy in the assigned direction. Automatic. That's how it is in the real battlefield. There is no time to start teaching the AI what to do when the heat is on, right?

Edited by jasonnoguchi

Don't ya just love telling your AI to "REGROUP" and hear "FALL BACK" (which usually means retreat). :p

I tried using voice command software as I did in ArmA1 but that damn "quick menu" pops up sometimes and screws up the command sequence. Still fighting it.

Agree that the commands presented sometimes don't do what you think they should do and the voice repeating the command (is it really needed???) is inconsistent. If they wanted to use a voice response why didn't they just stick with one for each command?

Other than that I find , even though the AI tend to sometimes wonder off somewhere and get lost , you do have to act like a leader and issue commands to them as you would in RL.

If you'r a SL in RL you can't go running off to do your own thingy..you HAVE to assign tasks to your squad and let them do the fighting and that's how I handle my AI. Other than a few glitches , they are the best AI you can find in just about any game given the complexity of ArmA2 and for the most part , smarter and more willing to obey than you're average online pub player.:p

I find dividing my team into different colors really helps. I usually run with 2 or 3 sub squads with F2 and F3 as their 'leader' so I just hit |shift| and their key to order the whole group to a task. Wish there was more a squad leader AI to use. IE I tell 2 and 3 what I want them to do and they then order their squad mates to complete the task. The AI is very competent in ordering themselves and I wish I could take more advantage of that.

Select the Unit, and hit 3 - 3.

I´ve not tested this with vehicles, but it should work too. Individual soldiers are usually very reliable with this command, provided the target is within range and that they have a clear line of sight. First-shot accuracy of snipers is also really depending on the skill of the unit and wether or not they´ve just sprinted a mile.

A2 AI really helps in missions:

1-1, 3-6, 3-7, 7-9, 7-2, 1-1 and all is okay

Ok, here's two questions:

1. How do you get your machinegunner to provide suppressive fire? Never seen my MG guy do that ever.

2. How do you get your sniper to engage at maximum distance (600m and beyond?). Everytime I give my sniper guy a target, he runs towards the darn target! hahahah