Sign in to follow this  
bushlurker

*Panthera* Domination 1.17 West AI

Hi everybody!

Recently I've got involved with island making again (hadn't done one since OFP) and wading thru the tutorials and learning the new tools has given me a greater appreciation of just how much work there actually is involved in making a decent terrain - it's unbelievable! To do a half decent job is a thousands of hours commitment!

With OFP in particular, less so with Arma1, there were dozens of islands, but very few missions to suit, so quite often, I felt anyway, all that work went largely unappreciated...

Nowadays, one of the major players in the MP arena is Domination, of course... though I don't make a habit of porting other peoples stuff, I broke my rule when CAA1 was released with a Dom version, purely to try to boost it's initial popularity (coz it's a slightly offputting Biig download).

Recently, I've seen enquiries on more than one user island thread mentioning Domination so I've decided to break my rule again and do a few more basic Domination ports... My main goal being to try and encourage more widespread Multiplayer use of some of the amazing user islands that are, or are about to be released...

Thanks to Xeno's generosity (and often, guidance), everybody customises the hell out of Dom anyway, so I figure that if I do at least the core port, people will be encouraged to get the island on their server for some new scenery, while having the basic mission available to tweak in their usual way...

As an added bonus - lots of people playing Dom all over your island is a great way to betatest terrain.

So, thats the why...

Here's an opening pic...

Dom_Panthera.jpg

... and here's the mission...

Domination Panthera 1.17 West AI (fixed)

**Please Note there was a microflaw in the original file... A "dependency" which demands you have the RKSL Flares addon... A stoopid and fundamental mistake... I should know better... (firing squad at dawn icon)

Anyone who downloaded - please redownload the fixed version above or see my post below for manual fix instructions if you're in mid-personalise - sorry about that guys! **

UPDATED Armaholic mirror:

- Domination Panthera 117 West AI (@)

Required addons

- Island Panthera

(a Big thanks to Big @ Armaholic (as always), for the (updated) mirror!! )

It's just a basic port of Xeno's most recent version for Everon...

18 Main targets - no sidemissions (maybe later) - everything else left default for people to tweak as they wish...

This probably won't be the last port I'll do - Sbrodj is next on the list, and I'll hopefully have one ready for the Beta release of IceBreakrs Isla Duala (soon)..

I may also add basic East AI versions at some point...

(I'm supposed to be working on my island ;) )

OK - same disclaimer as last time...

** This mission is entirely the work of the Extraordinary Xeno - I merely changed a few numbers **

Issues - None that I know of (so far)... Panthera has some tight corners, but on initial playtesting everything seemed to be working fine, and I didn't see any radiomasts spawned in rivers or anything... Had to improvise the base slightly, but the usual stuff is mostly roughly in the usual places...

As far as problems go - if it looks like it's something to do with my port (radiomasts spawning in lakes, stuff like that - complain HERE!

Otherwise if it's a more general problem - the main Domination thread is where all the expert Domination tweakers hang out - I'm an amateur in comparison :)

ok... like Xeno always says... "Have Fun!"

B

Edited by Bushlurker

Good job. Funny you choose the same base location as me. :)

Hm addon free please (apart from the world). :)

Dammit! - a dependency!!! - the very thing I warn others about! - My apologies!!!

You can tell I did it in a hurry!!

RKSL flares is one of my few "essential addons" - despite the occasional non-critical error it throws... I had CAA1 on as well I've just realised... fortunately It's very well behaved and doesnt leave dependencies...

My apologies to anyone who downloaded...

The first post has been fixed with a dependency-free version - please download again :(

B

PS..

If anybody downloaded earlier and is now in complex mid-tweak... you can remove the annoying dependency yourself... You'll already have the mission UnPBO'd, so... in the "mission.sqm" file, right at the beginning - look for a list of "addons" -theres two (addons and addons auto) - in the FIRST list you'll see...

"RKSL_radarsys";

as one line.... delete the entire line - save the mission.sqm and that's you sorted...

PS#2 @Kju..

Good job. Funny you choose the same base location as me

Praise from a Master! - the best kind!

Hi Kju - Hope I didn't tread on your toes with this one...I remember you saying quite a while back you were gonna port a Domination for Panthera... you never really mentioned it again, and I decided the only way to get some of my friends to take any interest in other terrains was if I have Domination to match, so I started making this only for myself originally...

I asked IceBreakr for his choice of principal base and main targets, so he chose all the locations... Some good choices too... in one or two towns it's necessary to clear the associated small airport as well as the village itself... that and, of course, the excellent terrain makes it a refreshing change...

Edited by Bushlurker

for some reason the sidemissions won't start, after a while you get the message all sidemission resolved

for some reason the sidemissions won't start, after a while you get the message all sidemission resolved

18 Main targets - no sidemissions (maybe later) - everything else left default for people to tweak as they wish...

I don't think they're supposed to. :)

@mengle...

Yeah, sorry Mengle... like HyperU2 says - no sidemissions currently on this version... and, incidentally - thanks for the report! - I've never done the nosidemissions tweak before and was kindof expecting it to throw some kind of annoying error... the fact it politely reports "all sidemissions resolved" and doesn't freak out otherwise is pretty good news!

Tweaking Domination is almost a hobby in itself it's so big and complex and cleverly coded... I often think that's the main reason Xeno took the unusual step of essentially making it an "open-source" mission - so we'd learn a bit of coding by osmosis... it's certainly working for me! and others - I doubt theres an unedited version of Dom on a server anywhere!

However, getting the code to run on a completely different terrain requires a bit of slogging... it's not difficult - just a chore - quite a long boring chore...

My initial plan with these ports is simply to do that basic chore, hopefully, ultimately, for several islands and in several flavours ( I just sucessfully moved the carrier version to Sahrani, for example...), so people have a core version to tweak to their hearts content. Sidemissions can - and probably will - follow later...

B

Bushlurker: we'll test it tonight on our dedicated ~12-16 players. Tnx again!

Thanks for the mission, just gave it a go. Panthera is dangerous with JTD fire and smoke. :)

I killed a flying MI-8 with an artillery strike. lol

IT works great on my Server lastsightonline. thanks I was waitting for some one to do this. If you could please pm me on how I could get the side missions on, how to work, or just make new ones. The only thing is the Base are trigger is miss aligned with the base when enemy are in the base the red is way out like it was on the Chernarus map but it is same in the everon dimo for arma 2.

Again thank you.

Hi Alanthegreat!

Hmmm... the "enemy at the base" highlight marker thing that shows on the map... know what you mean... And the original Everon version was dodgy too?? That doesn't matter actually... Yes the "enemy at base" trigger etc is one of the many things that has to be "re-coordinated" when shifting from one island to another - so if it's misaligned it's definitely my fault - I probably tested to make sure the trigger fired OK, but never checked the map marker...

I'll check it out and either update the download, explain a manual fix or probably both...

Thanks for the report!

B

Edited by Bushlurker

Great stuff... 5 hours of pure team fun :) didn't spot any major bugs. Top moment? Last AI swam over the river and lost weapons in the process. I also run out of ammo when shooting at him, so I managed to find a dead militia man with only 1 clip & Makarov. Went across the river and fired couple more at him... he run over the bridge and then decided to jump off. He landed just below the bridge and I put 2 bullets into him with only 1 remaining in the chamber :)

priceless.jpg

Edited by IceBreakr

i like to ask something, maybe it has bin asked before

my clan love to play this mission on that island, but problem is wy is there less sunlight or daytime like on some other island, it seems like the sun not rise high enough to give more light,

even if you set the time in juli it looks the same.

So is there a fix for, because this mission and island is to beautiful to play in the dark men.

Hi Alanthegreat!

Hmmm... the "enemy at the base" highlight marker thing that shows on the map... know what you mean... And the original Everon version was dodgy too?? That doesn't matter actually... Yes the "enemy at base" trigger etc is one of the many things that has to be "re-coordinated" when shifting from one island to another - so if it's misaligned it's definitely my fault - I probably tested to make sure the trigger fired OK, but never checked the map marker...

I'll check it out and either update the download, explain a manual fix or probably both...

Thanks for the report!

B

Ok thanks for the replay. will you be updateing this? if so are you thinking of side missions?:D

And my question :rolleyes: Bushlurker you have project creat ACE version for this island? :rolleyes:

(sorry for bad english)

Hi Keshman

Now thats a good question! I'm not entirely sure what the state of play is right now with regard to Domination and ACE... there were ACE-specific versions of Domination for Arma1, so I would normally assume Xeno would be planning a similar Arma2 version.

As and when that is released I'll certainly port it to Panthera. It's all really dependent on what Xeno decides to do though... Fooling with other peoples missions is generally a no-no around here - Domination is a special case, and this little project depends far more on Xenos work than mine... so we'll have to wait and see...

My main Arma2 comp's PSU abruptly died on me a couple of days ago, so I've ordered another frighteningly expensive one from Amazon... once that arrives and I actually have Arma2 capability again - as opposed to this crappy Uni Laptop - I'll return to this project, sort out that slight Enemy At Base marker glitch, plus see what can be done about other versions...

*edit*...

OK - it seems that Xeno is back with another version that includes ACE compatible versions... I'll go take a look at them... gimme a couple of days and expect a little update here....

B

Edited by Bushlurker

Bushlurker I can't thank you enough for your ports! I'll send you Isla Duala (internal version 0.8) so you can check it out before it reaches public beta state ;) I'm wrapping it up tommorow.

Hi IceBreakr!

No problema mate! a mere evenings number-swapping... can't begin to compare with the months of dedicated work it takes to make a great island. You can be sure I'll have versions for Isla Duala ASAP after its beta release too...

Looking forward to it - it's looking awesome so far...

B

Apparently theres been a few issues with the Ace beta and the current Ace version of Domination... Xeno reports that he's fixed all issues, added some improvements, and it'll be released as part of the forthcoming update...

I have't even checked out Ace yet to be honest, though I will after the update... Meantime I'll be taking a day or two off terrain-making shortly to update this Panthera mission and make a version for IceBreakrs soon-to-be-released and (hugely impressive) Isla Duala... I might also do a "Two Tribes" version for Duala :D

B