Sign in to follow this  
-Total-

Flight Sim'ers: Lock On 2.0 Announced

Meh, any topic on LOMAC will always become LOMAC vs Falcon 4 or LOMAC vs Jane's F/A-18

then it will eventually get back on topic.

One good plus to this is that many of the enviromental physics that were put into DCS Blackshark will now be in LOMAC which is really gonna have an effect on flight dynamics. Also, then sensor fixes are LONG overdue.

Meh, any topic on LOMAC will always become LOMAC vs Falcon 4 or LOMAC vs Jane's F/A-18

then it will eventually get back on topic.

One good plus to this is that many of the enviromental physics that were put into DCS Blackshark will now be in LOMAC which is really gonna have an effect on flight dynamics. Also, then sensor fixes are LONG overdue.

No need really, they are all great tbh :)

Meh, any topic on LOMAC will always become LOMAC vs Falcon 4 or LOMAC vs Jane's F/A-18.

Different flavours, wish that the same could be said about ArmA. Comparing it to OFP:CWC just doesn't cut it.

But I've to admit, if I am gonna flightsim soon, I'll be firing up Over Flanders Fields Phase 3. That's were the real dog fights are, not pushing a lot of buttons, close combat with cubes with wings. It can get pretty intense when you are in a lowlevel dogfight and stalling at 200 feet above the frontlines.

Heh, I forgot all about OFF :D

Camel Jockies rock :)

Rise of Flight was a bit of a disappointment. Still have hopes for SOW:BoB though.

All in all, 2009/2010 is a good period for sim and tactical games :)

There is a fresh awesome combat airsim out now as you all know: DCS BLACK SHARK. And soon DCS A-10. And im waiting in agony for the DCS Apache! 2 seats combat hellying with a mate where one now for real is the navigator/pilot and your mate being the gunner. It will have proper FLIR and tons of proper avionics. And ofcourse the best to date flight model.

I think the Black Shark that is out now has the most realsitic flight model ever made. Engines have moving parts and fuel tubes can break and you get that problem etc. Its awesome. The engine however is the lockon engine (updated) and that could really be better (trees no collide). But DCS is working on their brand new engine AFAIK and there was talk abouti mplementing viewblocking smoke,and tanks popping smoke and go into formations, retreat etc. (now they just stop and fires at you).

So its like having a ferrari in a desert atm. :) The helicopter is amazing to fly. All things that can happen to the machine while you fly is breathtaking.

Think ill get the A-10 and then also the Apache when it comes. Flying a 99% realictic A-10 should be a blast.

There is a fresh awesome combat airsim out now as you all know: DCS BLACK SHARK. And soon DCS A-10. And im waiting in agony for the DCS Apache! 2 seats combat hellying with a mate where one now for real is the navigator/pilot and your mate being the gunner. It will have proper FLIR and tons of proper avionics. And ofcourse the best to date flight model.

I think the Black Shark that is out now has the most realsitic flight model ever made. Engines have moving parts and fuel tubes can break and you get that problem etc. Its awesome. The engine however is the lockon engine (updated) and that could really be better (trees no collide). But DCS is working on their brand new engine AFAIK and there was talk abouti mplementing viewblocking smoke,and tanks popping smoke and go into formations, retreat etc. (now they just stop and fires at you).

So its like having a ferrari in a desert atm. :) The helicopter is amazing to fly. All things that can happen to the machine while you fly is breathtaking.

Think ill get the A-10 and then also the Apache when it comes. Flying a 99% realictic A-10 should be a blast.

I still wish they'd done an F-14 or an F-18 (especially for the carrier operations) but I guess the A10 will be fun.

This topic name should be changed, as it's not a complete new version of Lock On but a upgrade to the expansion Flaming Cliffs to bring it to the DCS standard of the Lock On engine.

They really should get a better engine, all those things are holding me off from a otherwise great sim. Trees are horrible in heli sims if it's just eyecandy, you can only popup from behind terrain and buildings. And just as you said, the AI are in desperate need of a upgrade, that's especially true for a heli sim. It sure is a ferrari in the desert. :lol:

Heh, I forgot all about OFF :D

Camel Jockies rock :)

Rise of Flight was a bit of a disappointment. Still have hopes for SOW:BoB though.

Yeah, damn, I was anticipating that game, it would be the true sequel to Knights of the Sky. A lot of complaints on their forum, and that nasty DRM for a flightsim that reduced modability was a big mistake. Sims and mods are synonymous to each other.

All in all, 2009/2010 is a good period for sim and tactical games :)

And people say that PC gaming is dead. :D

Well, was about time that some companies realise that while arcade games may sell better than sims, if everyone and their momma is just making arcade games it might be a good move make some sims again.

Love it!

They really should get a better engine, all those things are holding me off from a otherwise great sim. Trees are horrible in heli sims if it's just eyecandy, you can only popup from behind terrain and buildings. And just as you said, the AI are in desperate need of a upgrade, that's especially true for a heli sim. It sure is a ferrari in the desert. :lol:

That's why I have no interest in their helicopter sims for now. Trees are like the grass was in early versions of ArmA. AI sees right through them, they have no collision. That's pretty bad considering how important they are to helicopter combat and how the DCS terrain is covered in them.

But for jet sims it's not so bad. So I'm looking forward to Lock On 2.0, I wonder if they will continue to support it as DCS progresses. I have a feeling they will dump it when DCS switches to a new engine.

If I enjoy Lock On enough maybe I'll get DCS: A10C.

Well, was about time that some companies realise that while arcade games may sell better than sims, if everyone and their momma is just making arcade games it might be a good move make some sims again.

Love it!

So true, and I suspect that users usually will buy the software instead of aquiring it through other means. It's not rare that sims have a very dedicated community.

That's why I have no interest in their helicopter sims for now. Trees are like the grass was in early versions of ArmA. AI sees right through them, they have no collision. That's pretty bad considering how important they are to helicopter combat and how the DCS terrain is covered in them.

But for jet sims it's not so bad. So I'm looking forward to Lock On 2.0, I wonder if they will continue to support it as DCS progresses. I have a feeling they will dump it when DCS switches to a new engine.

If I enjoy Lock On enough maybe I'll get DCS: A10C.

It's the only thing that's holding me off, besides that I love flying with helis more than flying with fixed wing aircraft. I really hope they going to fix it while they release more DCS games.

Indeed, not so bad, but still bad if you take low altitude flying into de equation for avoiding radars. I really don't like to 'roleplay' to avoid the trees while they aren't a immediate threat. But it's still not so much a flaw as in heli sims. I am finally going to 'trial' Lockon, if I dig it I will buy 2.0 too. :)

Looking at the images that were released for the A-10 Module a while back, grass is quite apparent in those images since it's showing infantry.

As far as the tree issue, it's a double edged sword. Making them objects and it can be a huge frame hit, especially when the viewdistance for flying needs to be what it is (not everyone has a gtx 260 Core 216 or better).

Alot of it depends on the mission as well. I find that infantry hiding in the trees is extremely difficult to find.

I enjoy Blackshark, LockOn, as well as ArmA2. IMHO - the three best games there are to play at the moment.

As far as the tree issue, it's a double edged sword. Making them objects and it can be a huge frame hit, especially when the viewdistance for flying needs to be what it is (not everyone has a gtx 260 Core 216 or better).

Graphics card has nothing to do with collision detection, the view distance is irrelevant too.

The game has some dense cities where it has no problem with collision detection.

A bit of a CPU hit of course. AI view blocking will probably be a bigger performance hit.

This isn't 2003 any more though, I think we can handle the CPU hit.

I think development time is the problem. Maybe modifying the section of old code that is probably untouched since some early point in Lock On development is difficult.

Well, the game is pretty heavy on the CPU, I don't know how it is now I only played the Russian version. Sure, a lot of hardware can handle the hit, but there is still a crowd on the lower end. If it were so easy they had fixed it by now, I guess they still have a lot of streamlining to do with the engine. DCS has a lot more going on in avionic systems compared to Lockon as far as I know it. I you said, I think the old code in the engine is the bottleneck, it's like fitting highend stuff in a lowend machine, it will require a lot of modification.

By the way, how's multicore holding up with DCS Black Shark? Last time I played you got a huge performance boost if you played in Vista with a affinity tweak. If I buy the game I want to play it in XP64, I don't want a triple boot for just one game.

Matt, I know people who JUST upgraded their CPU's to an AMD 64 3200.

It may not be 2003, but there's many people out there who can't afford to live in the here and now :(

Sims can't have everything, Flight Sim X has the same problem with trees. Just like ArmA 2 has many problems with certain things.