Sign in to follow this  
solidsnake2384

what can i buy with 400 dollars?

im trying to found the kind of computer to get to play Arma 2 (just the tower, no monitor). i have almost no idea what to get so please list all the specs of the tower. i found the pieces for a cheap quad core so ill try to find and post it to see if it will be good to get it.

If your current comp has an AGP go buy a $200 video card and upgrade your ram, if not buy a $200 video card and look for some cheap used computer.

im starting from scratch. im getting whole new stuff because the only computer in my house is my dads and its used for work and single core. i already have an extra monitor. on newegg i found a quad core with the motherboard and all that stuff for around 500 dollars.

$400 to build a PC from scratch, that is capable of playing newer games well, is really pushing it to be totally honest...

To make a PC that can play ArmA2 decent your looking at needing upwards of at least $600 to get off the ground, and have a bit of flexibility. While the processor and GPU are going to be the most expensive things you buy... you also need a motherboard, soundcard, power source, RAM, Hard drive, case, and if you don't already have them a keyboard and mouse. You will also likely need a copy of Windows if your truely starting from scratch. You can cut corners and go pretty cheap with some things, such as the case, but it still starts to add up by the end.

Im not going to go into exactlly what to buy, but a quick 40 seconds on google found this like http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/271433-31-building-gaming-computer-wife. Have a read, and don't be afraid to hit up google and search something like "building a cheap gaming PC" or "building a 400 600 gaming PC". While you won't find many ArmA2 related articles (if any), if the computer can play most modern games well... it will deal with ArmA2 fine. Just make sure you go quad core, thats all.

I think $400 will get you a decent PC for JUST the box, but it will be pushing it.... If you are in the US I can have a look at some parts for you if you like. Just send me a pm.

edit:

I take that back... it's basically impossible.

AMD Phenom II X4 945 165.99

GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P $109.99

Patriot Viper II 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 DDR2 1066 - 97.99

there's a start.... but you still have to include

case

HDD

burner

PSU (if not included in case)

Windows software

Edited by cm.

400 USD is a pretty tight budget, although I built my comp on about (what would now be) 800USD (is that about right for £500?). My comp runs ARMA 2 pretty well and I did build this about a year and a half ago so the prices of what I have in mine may have come down. Although I believe the Q6600 was at a premium soon after I bought it.

And to be fair mine didnt include Vista, had already got a copy of that.

im trying to save up around 700 dollars but i was wondering if 400 dollars would be good enough. on Amazon i found a Q9650, with motherboard and hardrive for 568 dollars (around there). i have an extra monitor, mouse, and keyboard. i found an ATI Radeon graphics card for 50 dollars at the computer store near me. are those good?

i found an ATI Radeon graphics card for 50 dollars at the computer store near me. are those good?

No.

/5char

That's not a card name, ATI is a GPU maker. Radeon is a brand of GPUs, and Sapphire create the cards and attach the GPU to it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong?

really? i swear ive seen those kinds of graphics cards. anyways are there any good cheap graphics cards for around 100 dollars?

That's not a huge amount, but I imagine an Nvidia 8800GT would be about that, it's a bit old but it'll play the game, not massive performance though.

I have (2) eVGA Nvidia 8800GT - 512MB w/Akimbo coolers for sale. PM me if your interested. USA Only Please.

$150 for both or $80 each + Shipping. (Akimbo coolers are discontinued and were $40 each. - just FYI)

These cards can also OC to 700/1000 stable. (OC is supported by eVGA)

I am working towards a 295, but first need to find homes for these 2 cards. (they were in an SLI config)

I also have a few other component such as a PSU and a MSI board and some ram ... I may be able to help.

Getting NEW for $400 and playing ArmA 2 ... I in the past have paid $400 for just an upgrade to mobo, ram and cpu.

Hard hitting the 400 mark for a new fresh build without using some cheap crap or some used components.

If you can find some quality used stuff, you may be able to do it, otherwise hold off until you have more like $800+

Edited by pchaxor

thanks but it might be awhile for me to start deciding exactly what to get.

---------- Post added at 03:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:16 PM ----------

would these be good? Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0 GHz 12M L2 Cache 1333MHz FSB LGA775 Quad-Core Processor, GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard, Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB Bulk/OEM Hard Drive 3.5 Inch, 32 MB Cache, 7200 RPM SATA II WD1001FALS. the price for all of this is $566.

The CPU handles the AI, scripts, logics etc.

I play on a Q6600 which is ok most of the time. It slows a bit with lots of AI units. (I can have about 500 before it gets unplayable) Unfortunately I can't overclock mine as its a DELL OEM but there are motherboards which will allow overclocking and you can then upgrade CPU when u have more cash.

The graphics card is very important as it handles all the visual stuff.

I think the two you should consider is the ATI HD4850 or NVidia 9800GTX

thanks but it might be awhile for me to start deciding exactly what to get.

---------- Post added at 03:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:16 PM ----------

would these be good? Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0 GHz 12M L2 Cache 1333MHz FSB LGA775 Quad-Core Processor, GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard, Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB Bulk/OEM Hard Drive 3.5 Inch, 32 MB Cache, 7200 RPM SATA II WD1001FALS. the price for all of this is $566.

You forgot about:

case, PSU, RAM, video card, media drives....

For a game like arma II, expect to spend at least $150 of a video card.

i know about the other stuff but SO FAR would these be good pieces?

---------- Post added at 04:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:21 PM ----------

whats the media drives, RAM, PSU, and case? im not smart with computers. im mainly a console player.

Where you getting a NEW - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0 GHz 12M L2 Cache 1333MHz FSB LGA775 Quad-Core Processor for so cheap ???? DO NOT GO OEM! You will get NO WARRANTY and NO FAN!

No need for the Quad. If your going to do that go with an i7.

2 cores is plenty if your looking to pinch a few bucks and really just want to play ArmA 2 and current games.

Core 2 Options: (I have a E6750 and it runs ArmA 2 just fine)

Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 Wolfdale 2.8GHz LGA 775 65W - 117.99

Intel Core2 Duo E7500 Wolfdale 2.93GHz LGA 775 65W Dual - 119.99 <---- DING DING DING $$ WINNER $$

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W - 164.99

vs.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550S Yorkfield 2.83GHz LGA 775 65W - 349.99

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0GHz LGA 775 95W - 329.99

Intel Core2 Quad Q9400 2.66GHz LGA 775 95W - 189.99

Maybe not a fair comparison, but my point is you pay more now for 2 cores you may not ever need if you go Quad.

Go for the most L2 Cache and Ghz you can get for the $$ and keep in mind that Quads and Core 2's will be obsolete in a few years. (were talking 6+ cores incoming)

Edited by pchaxor

solidsnake2384

It really depends how much you want to get out of the game, and how long you are willing to wait. I run my second copy of ARMA2(betas) on my laptop (2ghz dualcore, Nvidia 9600GS, 4gig ram) with acceptable 30ish FPS (in low-key missions) It should be very possible to build a desktop computer with similar stats but way superior performance.

Also don't be afraid to look to AMD CPUs. Intel are definitely the leaders of the pack, but a decent tripple-core Phenom will run arma at decent framerate.

* Get a motherboard with built in Sound card (practically all of them)

* Get a decent 3d Graphics Card

* Get the best CPU you can afford

* Get at least 4 gigs of RAM

* Get a PSU (power source) that covers your requirements

* Get a Box you feel happy with.

* If you are building a PC for arma2 solely, it might be worth it looking at SSD (Solid drives) They are quickly dropping in price, and can provide massive boost for Arma2.

-k

Good advice. SSD's will be out of his budget I am afraid.

Get drives with rpm's at or above 7200 for OS and games.

Anything lower and you will suffer.

Hmm.. Made the above post without really looking at dollar exchange rate. It is of course rather weak, it might not be the best time to be buying hardware.

Anyhow, Neither really knowing the value of the dollar nor the quality of said store. I played around a bit on CompUSA.com (just to get a feel for prices across the pond) It would seem that the lowest you could really go is 420ish dollars. Ironically after messing about with some of the hardware CompUSA suggested a 'barebone' bundle which clocked in at about that.

420 dollars will give you something that will run ARMA2 with decent FPS. 450 dollars will give you something more functional. 500 dollars will give you a good foundation which you can continue to upgrade for up to two more years.

-K

Note: If you are a console kid, and you don't have any computer savvy friends nearby. A 'barebone bundle' of some sort might be a decent idea.

Note also: AMD computers are currently fantastically cheap. More than 40$ discount on certain models of Phenom x4. In any case building the computer yourself will give you 'better' parts and a stable foundation of 'know how' when the time comes to consider upgrades.

Where you getting a NEW - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0 GHz 12M L2 Cache 1333MHz FSB LGA775 Quad-Core Processor for so cheap ???? DO NOT GO OEM! You will get NO WARRANTY and NO FAN! it was on Amazon AND newegg.

---------- Post added at 06:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:15 PM ----------

to the very top post. im not trying to run Arma super duper fantasticaly good. i want something to run Arma 2 with good FPS, not alot of lag or stutter, and nice graphics (atleast medium settings)

---------- Post added at 06:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:25 PM ----------

NkEnNy. can you put up links to these bundles? i tried searching but couldn't find them

If its for ARMA2 only - then look into getting 12GB RAM for playing in RAMDISK.