Sign in to follow this  
ZeosPantera

A "Perfect" Formation for Following AI Vehicles?

Since the early arma 1 days I have been complaining about this. Why can't the AI drivers , for example the column of 4 Abrams I have set to follow me.. ACTUALLY FOLLOW ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I understand there are path finding algorithms at work and as I tear ass forward with boost on I am simply causing the AI to try and get to where I was 1 second ago. And for most AI situations that is a fine solution. "Go to Zelenogorsk" and in 20 minutes odds are most will be upside down in the forest somewhere and only some will make it is the best you can hope for.

HOWEVER. If I take the time to lead my AI vehicles into battle I refuse to babysit my convoy like its being driven by a handful of retarded children. There should be a mode they enter when following a human that forces each vehicle to follow the EXACT PATH the lead vehicle is carving. The EXACT SPEED, the exact nuances in movement. If I cut through a forest at 100 KP/H and knock down a few trees they should with computational precision do the same!

I am sorry for the angry rant but god damn it. Make this happen.

Edited by ZeosPantera

they should do this same with convoys aswell, its damn annoying to even TRY to get a convoy to move when they fuck up and drive to god knows where...

they should do this same with convoys aswell, its damn annoying to even TRY to get a convoy to move when they fuck up and drive to god knows where...

And as this has been happening since OFP. I just wonder. I really think AI and driving should be highly thought again. This is an actual issue for huge amount of potential missions.

It may even be an easy fix too... It would involve removing the AI from the AI and just having it repeat YOUR position, direction and speed(throttle) for each following vehicle. Perfectly and exactly instead of pathfinding through towns. Only reverting temporarily to old ai behavior if an obstacle is discovered (Damn supply trucks!)

I concur. It would probably be less intensive on a server as well.

Someone please make a mod. Please, please, please.

I concur. It would probably be less intensive on a server as well.

Someone please make a mod. Please, please, please.

Don't take me wrong please, but somehow when all the minor things are asked to be done as mods or addons how about BIS would make a fix. I know that there are other things and maybe "more important" things but things that affect the whole gameplay in certain situations should be in vanilla version of the game.

Mods are mods, not everybody has them, basic stuff like this should be done. Sure I would appreciate someone making a mod fixing this but you get my point.

Don't take me wrong please, but somehow when all the minor things are asked to be done as mods or addons how about BIS would make a fix. I know that there are other things and maybe "more important" things but things that affect the whole gameplay in certain situations should be in vanilla version of the game.

Mods are mods, not everybody has them, basic stuff like this should be done. Sure I would appreciate someone making a mod fixing this but you get my point.

I agree. Arma2 feels like it has about 1 year left on its Beta Testing. In big servers with no mods after 2-3 hours the AI all just stop functioning. BUT, BI is slow and mod makers are fast. I will take a mod to fix this until BI gets the message that their AI controller if F*()ed.

Not to derail this to a bashfest, but vehicle following ought not be too difficult, as IIRC VBS2 has a follow type waypoint that is synced to units.

It would be a good addon/mod though, too.

The worst thing is when the vehicles behind the lead one in a column keep trying to speed up, then they start doing random turns on the spot or bumping the lead vehicle,its immersion breaking to watch when your observing a convoy moving up a road :(

The latest beta has improved driving skills for vehicles and bikes, also there is a mod that improved the turn radius etc for vehicles that does also work well.

Also set to safe and column works for me more often than not, and getting a convoy to move to a map click location works for me pretty well most of the time (and using the mod).

I agree.

It's up to the point that i dont use convoys in my coop missions, i just let the players do all the driving.

I swear the AI have gotten worse OFP - ARMA1 - ARMA2

Or maybe it's just me. In OFP I remember you could click on a piece of off road terrain and the AI would go as far on road and then cut across country.

But maybe it's like all old games that we remember are so good, eh ;)

No, OFP did not have this vast amount of objects lying around everywhere.

Maybe they got a little slower now, but are really confused by all these objects.

I just tried leading a convoy over that Everon island in ArmA2 and it worked almost as back then with OFP.

It is to the point where I never buy a vehicle full of people and let AI drive it. It is pretty much useless because they will never stay with you and they will never make it anywhere efficiently.

The AI need to be turned off completely for following. Just repeat my motions without any decision making of its own.

Yeah when I issue two humvees to move on a road to a position the first humvee drives on the road normally while the second one keeps trying to overtake the first humvee. It's like the first humvee drives perfectly fine while the second one is trying to follow the first one except once it gets close enough it realizes it's too close and tries to overtake it driving off the road and then crashing into a tree, house, or some random thing. If the second humvee is far away enough from the first humvee it'll drive perfectly fine until it gets close to the first humvee.