Sign in to follow this  
Taryl

"Shotgun" really a shotgun? I only see 1 hit after i shoot it.

There are 40mm underslung GL shotgun shells that work as buckshot in either JCOVE Lite or the American Army version (I seem to remember JCOVE). They at least appear to fire multiple projectiles which have an area of effect.

Presumably it would theoretically be possible for someone to dissect that and see how this kind of projectile was scripted?

There's still no ideal way to create buckshot. You can use the "burst" method, but IMO that's even more unrealistic than not having buckshot. Scripted methods can provide better results, but they have some issues (mostly due to lack of a createAmmo command).

Just weighing in here.

Shot doesn't spread as much as you would "expect" (from other games, movies). Go rent a shotgun at a firing range and play around a bit :P

Tried TBR shotgun ammo.

Works pretty well (visually at least) to simulate buckshot, although the spread is far too high: they become practically unusable at well under 100 metres . 80% of the shot has to hit an enemy at close-range for it to kill them.

I think the slug ammo probably was the most usable solution all along.

Apparently the best tech for door busting with a shotgun is a kind of "lead beanbag" round of fine lead particles in a semi-pliable containment for high area, low penetration. I've heard of special standoffs to use with "anti-door" rounds that keeps the muzzle the right distance away from the surface.

Solid hard slugs make poor door breaching I think.

I don't really see the problem with the "burst" fire shotgun rounds. Your average anti-personnel shotgun is going to be fitted with 00-gauge buckshot right (about 12 pellets?) If the AI only has access to bursts and there long range ballistics are kept under control it should be fine. What's the max RPM in ArmA engine? 2000? I think 6ms is close enough to "all at once" for our purposes.

I don't really see the problem with the "burst" fire shotgun rounds.

It doesn't work for pump-action or slow rate of fire weapons, you can't spawn cartridges (unless you want a fifty-million for each shot), and the recoil looks just terrible. Also, there are issues with the sounds...

scripted shotguns caused a lot of issues back in OFP, the stuff you didn't see was when the script would spawn the extra shots just behind the player (due to limitations with the position commands back then), causing the player to shoot himself! :butbut:

Damn, now you've got me all nostalgic for the farmland days...

What's the max RPM in ArmA engine? 2000? I think 6ms is close enough to "all at once" for our purposes.

I thought it was one "round" per frame.

I thought it was one "round" per frame.

That was in ArmA1 afaik. As far as I've understood the ArmA2 engine it is fully capable of higher rates of fire, instead stacking and delaying shots into the next displayed frame, since the graphical FPS and script-FPS are two distinctly different things.

Edited by Inkompetent

It doesn't work for pump-action or slow rate of fire weapons, you can't spawn cartridges (unless you want a fifty-million for each shot), and the recoil looks just terrible. Also, there are issues with the sounds...

Why not? The fire delay between bullets and the delay changing magazines are two different numbers. Ejected cartridges and sounds are another problem. The recoil could be changed I think by altering the geometry of it.

For ejected cartridge and sound... the answer would be for there to be to have two ammo classes, a "first round" class with all the bells and whistles and a "rest of the rounds" class without. You'd have to tie it all together with scripting but there's a way when there's a will.

scripted shotguns caused a lot of issues back in OFP, the stuff you didn't see was when the script would spawn the extra shots just behind the player (due to limitations with the position commands back then), causing the player to shoot himself! :butbut:

Damn, now you've got me all nostalgic for the farmland days...

There were no limitations with positioning the rounds. The problem was and still is in ArmA 2 that createVehicle'd rounds collide with everything, so even when you position them right at the muzzle of the weapon (which is very possible), they still collide with the weapon proxy's geometry. In OFP, it wounded you, in ArmA it just creates sparks off of your weapon. That's why we need a createAmmo command.

---------- Post added at 04:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:41 PM ----------

Why not? The fire delay between bullets and the delay changing magazines are two different numbers. Ejected cartridges and sounds are another problem. The recoil could be changed I think by altering the geometry of it.

No, the reloadMagazineTime is used for just that, reloading magazines. You don't reload magazines between pumps. The only other config setting is reloadTime, which is used both for reload time between rounds in a burst, as well as reload time between bursts themselves. There's no way to have seperate values for those. And since the bursts typically were very fast, you could fire immediately after the the last one, giving all shotguns that used this method an extremely (unrealistic) high rate of fire.

For ejected cartridge and sound... the answer would be for there to be to have two ammo classes, a "first round" class with all the bells and whistles and a "rest of the rounds" class without. You'd have to tie it all together with scripting but there's a way when there's a will.

What? That's never going to work. That's even more impractical than just creating extra "shot" projectiles with a script, which IMO is currently the most practical solution. If we did have above mentioned createAmmo command, it would pretty much perfectly practical, as it would get rid of all of the current issues with that method.

Apparently the best tech for door busting with a shotgun is a kind of "lead beanbag" round of fine lead particles in a semi-pliable containment for high area, low penetration. I've heard of special standoffs to use with "anti-door" rounds that keeps the muzzle the right distance away from the surface.

Interesting. Got a link for that? I'd like to check it out. I always used Buck shot but that sounds like a better less than lethal alternative if it works.