Sign in to follow this  
frosties

Mod / Addon

How do i install mods so i can use them in MP?

Do everybody has to install them manually, or can i put them in the dedicated server so it works for everybody anyway?

Have a ACU mod and Real sniper mod i wanna use.

i did search, but the result gave me 50+ pages...

But that page doesnt answer me on how it would work with a dedicated server and any joining users?

Will they have to install same mods prior to them joining?

Will the ones with proper mods be able to use them, and the ones without them not?

Edited by Frosties

. . .Well anyway, to get other people to use them, the only way I've been able to get it working for all the participants is if they all download and install the addon/s individually.

I don't do that sort of thing often so there are probably other/easier ways, it's not that much of an inconvenience anyway. It only affects the other players if the addons that you have are actually being USED in the custom mission. E.G you can have something like 20 addons, but if you add one of those addons into a custom mission (eg a jet) then that's the only addon they need to download, all addons that aren't being used in the mission are irrelevant.

Edited by Dmahon

if i have the mod installed on my computer, will i see the mod on m y screen even if other players dont have the mod?

just tried a mod but it wont work while in on a dedicated server..

Do i have to add these weapon in the editor or will they overwrite existing M24 in a downloadaed mission for example?

Edited by Frosties

Just some random answers here:

If you want everyone to use a mod on a certain server, they all have to manually download it. Just joining a server will not pass/update a mod to someone.

Most dedicated servers do not allow mods (for a number of reasons).

Some mods are passive and replace certain things (like a sound mod). You can run passive mods without effecting other people.

Some mods are active and add things like new models to the game (like an X-wing space fighter). If you showed up with an X-wing on a server that didn't have the mod, odds are that you'd crash the server.

Some server admins allow only specific mods. Some even require them. But you have to get them prior to logging in.

Some mods can be seen as cheats to other players. Things like increased visibility, full field of view night vision, painitng enemy uniforms neon orange.....all can have questionable effects (especially in PVP).

Edited by Thirdup

It depends, some mods amend/replace default classes and the effect of some clients having the mod and some not will depend on what the mod does. A sound replacement mod will work fine but more pervasive changes will result at best in a not-level playing field and at worst will result in server/client de-syncs.

If the mod introduces new classes and these are used (or possibly even loaded while editing) in the mission they will become a requirement of that mission and players without will not be able to join without the mod installed.

There really ought to be a sticky here on 'How mods work...'.

We are a bunch of guys who have our own dedicated server and just play in our little private circle so we arent planning on using mods everywhere.

Im trying to get an ACU and a real sniper mod to work, but these mods wont show themself in our server while playing a custom mission.

Any tips on how to check if they are really working?

editor and start my own?

How do i know if the mod itself will overwrite any weapon skin in a custom mission.

The mod im trying to get working: real sniper

Witgh new skin on the .50 cal and the M24 as well as new sound.

Will they overwrite the existing skins, or do i have to add them in any other way other then a mod?

Have tried a couple of ways but it wont load..

Well, if they are all installed and running on the client side (and you can access everything from the editor to confirm they work) then you're mostly there.

Getting it setup and running on a dedicated server is much the same thing (ie: install the mods and call them in the server startup just like you do with the client).

*and of course keeping your users up-to-date on what they will need in the way of addons to join

well that sthe thing.. i haved tried to get them to work while using editor, but cant find it.

Picking up a M24 from a crate still shows no animation or new skin...

OK, that's a start.

Have you confirmed that the mods are installed correctly?

It should look like: @modName\Addons\mod.pbo(s)

Sometimes (unfortunately for newer users) mod designers zip things up in various formats. Sometimes you have to move things around or create the addons subfolder.

Beyond that, you might try experimenting with something easier to confirm as working (like adding a new vehicle). Just so you can see where everything is and how everything works.

Waterhiro's real sniper mod doesn't amend the defaults (though I hope he or somebody else will one day make it so) but instead implements two new classes. IIRC they're under the USMC objects (alongside Men, Cars etc) as something like cheytacbla and m24bla.

Hmkay, concerning Addons on a dedicated server.

If the addon is purely client side, like changing stuff in the interface, colors or such like "BC6 Feelings", do I still have to install and start the server.exe with a mod folder like so:

ArmA2Server.exe" -config=server.cfg -mod=@bc6