Sign in to follow this  
JamesGTAIV

Only 144 units per side?

Ive been making traffic patterns in the editor and its telling me i can only place 144 units per side/faction. Please tell me there is a way around this.

Thanks.

144 groups.

Nope. just checked 144 units. It wont let me preview any more either.

Edited by JamesGTAIV

A unit is a group too. Even if only 1 man big.

A unit is a group too. Even if only 1 man big.

oh ok. Youll have to excuse my noobness. Is there any way around this? I really want more civilians.

Not a problem. ;) Everyone had started once.

Why don't you simply create bigger civilian groups with more then 1 civilian?

Else you have to use scripts to slove this.

Ive already set up all the traffic waypoints. If i group them will it change anything? Like make them try to regroup or form up?

Yes; and if you preview that mission, it will be very very laggy! The AI load is per group. So if you place 144 groups, with 144 units will experience the same (CPU) lag as if you had 1444 units.

cheers,

Rommel

Either way you will need a script, the editor will only give waypoints to the commander. If you create groups you will have to script in individual moveTo commands.

Probably the best solution is divide the map into somewhere between 4 and 8 sectors.

Convert all unit creation and move commands to be done via script (createUnit, moveTo).

Put them in the same group for less overhead.

It shouldn't be too much work because units know how to follow roads.

When a player enters the zone ({isPlayer _x} count thislist), run the script to spawn everything.

Delete everything when the all players leave the zone.

Overlap the zones a little, so AI has chance to get moving.

If you need more than 144 groups/units per side then scale ya mission down!!

I am sure the server has enough to do to manage 144 units/groups.

I had same issue... Had all the troops/missions and wanted to add civ and stuff for look and feel but hit the limit.. :-(

Can you create 100 groups, start the mission, kill 99 of them, then dynamically create another 100 groups?

Yes you can.

At any one point you can have a max of 576 groups. As long as you don't exceed that at any one point, your fine.

I have no problem using scripting at all if someone would be nice enough to walk me through it.

Basically what im trying to do is make a free roam mission with no objectives. I really want lots of traffic all over the map, mainly on the highways. Since there was no addon for this and since i couldnt find any info anywhere on how to do this i just started placing civilian vehicles and waypoints. Ive tried civillian vehicle module but thats only for parked cars.

Thanks for the help so far guys.

Can you create 100 groups, start the mission, kill 99 of them, then dynamically create another 100 groups?

Attention: Killing all units of a group normally the unit's entity will not be deleted at all. I think the killed unit will be removed from its group after a certain time, nevertheless, the group itself won't be deleted even if its empty.

So if you meant only to kill all groups units instead of actually "deleting the group", be adviced, that won't work. Deleting the group must be handled separately.

Attention: Killing all units of a group normally the unit's entity will not be deleted at all. I think the killed unit will be removed from its group after a certain time, nevertheless, the group itself won't be deleted even if its empty.

So if you meant only to kill all groups units instead of actually "deleting the group", be adviced, that won't work. Deleting the group must be handled separately.

Excellent. Thanks. This is an important caveat.