Sign in to follow this  
Wheem

Somewhat confused by multiplayer so far.

I'll start off by saying that I've had the game for less than 2 weeks, though I played the demo quite a lot (old video card barely got me ~22 FPS on low/medium settings with some stuff turned off, so I waited for an upgrade to purchase the game).

So far I've really enjoyed the single player portion of the game, but I'm finding the multiplayer a bit hard to get into. I played a little MP on the demo, but it was almost always the Warfare mode co-op with a friend (which I found quite entertaining). Currently though, I'm seeing a lot of "Evo" and "Domination" listed for server names and have no idea what they mean. I've seen mention of those terms on these forums as well, but I'm still not certain what the game mode actually entails (I think Domination has to do with capturing and holding certain locations, which is somewhat similar to Warfare I suppose?)

Most of the time I just find myself plopped into the middle of a large base with vehicles scattered around, and no idea what I should be doing. I mean, I know I can look at the map and see what tasks are available, but with no AI or human teammates present, I don't feel that I'd have much luck Rambo-styling it. I've typed messages to my teammates before, but haven't really seen any responses.

Without really knowing anyone else that plays, and without even understanding what some of the game modes mean, I'm feeling a bit lost...

Wheem I play mostly Domination so I can explaine it.

1.You start at the main base.

2. The current objective will be on the map in red.

3. Ask in Text If any certain load out is needed for mission and select that at ammo crate.

4. Most of the time you will enter a game in progress, To get to Objective go to flag pole at base and teleport to MHQ1 if not many servers have choppers going to main and will say so IE "this is Chopper 1 leaving for AO in 30secs...over".

5. STICK WITH OTHERS AND NEVER RUSH INTO A TOWN...work as a squad and move when they move or under directions.

The objective is to capture a town and disable the Radio tower to stop them from calling in help.

There will be a secondary objective at each town most of the time IE also destroy weapon factory (could be just a FOB looking truck with camo netting).

There is only one town up at a time and untill it is taken you can not move to another.

There are side missions but start with the main untill you understand mor.

NEVER FLY OR DRIVE UNLESS THE SERVER ALLOWS IT!

NEVER EVER MOVE THE MHQ.

The game will be much better if you play on a server with regular players and is Admined.

Edited by Halli~SPARTA~

Evolution is a Co-op map. The objective is to clear the island by clearing out certain towns on the island in a certain order. As you gain points you gain ranks and with ranks you get access to better vehicles/weapons. That's the basic overview of the game. Domination I'm still not sure, I played a bit of it in ArmA 1 but didn't really get into it. There are other modes such as Chernarus life, which is an RPG type mode where you take the role of either civilians or cops and live in a semi persistant world where you can work, commit crimes, earn money etc.

If you'd like to join a server with people who would be more than happy to answer your questions, my friend runs a dedicated called Digfig's Dedicated Server, its usually up and we play quite a lot throughout the day.

The important thing to learn with ArmA2 is that there are no real game modes like with other games. Because the editor is so powerful, the ArmA2 community has no limits to what games can be made. The only real "BIS" game mode out there is Warfare. After that, missions like Evo, Dom and Bezerk are popular community made missions, all other missions can range from deathmatch, to role-play, to CTF, to large scale joint operations that take weeks of planning. Experiment, see which floats your boat, and either find servers that host those games or look for a clan that focuses on that type of gameplay.

Also, make sure you're using the blue sidechat (cycle through using < and > keys) when trying to chat to other players.

Edited by Daniel

Warfare is no original BIS afaik. It's based on the CTI modes from OPF and ArmA from a non BIS employee ( maybe he is employed now, i don't know ). But the basic idea wasn't theirs although they made a good version of the mission.

BTT:

Try finding a group of players ( a clan f.e. ) with teamspeak and try to join their game. Most clans are happy to help beginners.

Edited by Enforcer1975

Thanks for the clarifications on mission types; I was having fun on a particular server when my game crashed, now I get instantly kicked from that server when trying to log back in :(

Domination seems pretty decent so far, but I'd like to have some friendly AI available as well (if there does happen to be any, I haven't figured out how to use 'em yet).

Haven't really had a chance to play Evolution or Berserk (what's the objective there?) yet.

I know that you can play through campaign missions (and I assume player made missions that have set objectives as well), but I suppose that's something that doesn't lend itself to dedicated public servers, correct?

Nope, playing campaign online needs to be done on a host PC, it can't be played on a dedicated server (some scripts and such require the host to be the squad leader in campaign missions, which is obviously not possible on a dedicated server ;) )

FWIW, if you've found warfare enjoyable you just may never like Domi/Evo (at least on pub servers). IMO it uses Arma 2 to its full capabilities, as far as using the wonderful AI to your benefit. On decent servers (may have to hunt a bit for these) you'll also find plenty of teamwork too. Finally, at least late-game you get a strong and variable PvP element (defeating human players capturing the towns you control, shooting down that annoying jet, or setting an ambush for a human-controlled column of AI armor).

I've had the game 2 months and have barely played any other gamemode. Rarely I do get a hankering for some pure PvP, and then I usually find a server running an AAS mission.

To me, the big coop missions (Evo/Domi) are boring comp-stomps with too much solo play. At least in Warfare, solo play can also be teamwork, with individuals using groups of AI to capture towns and benefit the team as a whole.

@Wheem: Unfortunately Domination and others are too "free for all". Usually you can use whatever weapon you prefer, and go in like a Rambo. If you want to try a little more teamwork, even if not supported too much by the other players, try to stick around your leader. Don't pick a leader role yourself, since you don't know how the mode works. Although most others don't, it doesn't hurt trying to play your role. There are medics around that play it well, and there are those that only use it to heal themselves more conveniently.

Take your time at the base and read the information in the log. It tells you a few things about how things work. Enter the respawneable vehicles and read the information you get there.

Don't give up on asking around. Eventually you'll find good guys there.

Oh, and naturall, you should open your Show Status screen, go to settings, and turn on player markers. Also you can read the current game settings. You wouldn't do this in a serious gameplay, but there is rarely anything nothing serious about public games.

To me, the big coop missions (Evo/Domi) are boring comp-stomps with too much solo play. [/QUOte]

Your in the wrong server then!:butbut:

There are servers that strive to play with some tactics and some that DEMAND those tactics. :)

There are servers that strive to play with some tactics and some that DEMAND those tactics. :)

You must be one of those lucky people to find a server where strangers try to play as a team. In almost every MP game i played team based missions on are mostly for one man armies. You might see 10% where people try to teamwork with others. Out of 100 players you might find one buddy who plays with you regularly if you are lucky.

You talking public servers?

Anyway I prefer Warfare for the PvP elements, but I'm sure there are enjoyable Dominations games out there somewhere. I know there's sh*t Warfare servers so pardon me for jumping to a false conclusion in my previous post.