Artifacts graphical buggs? maybe it's our PSU

WHat is you PSU's power  

71 members have voted

1. 1. WHat is you PSU's power

• lower than 400W
    • between 400W and 499W
    • between 500W and 599W
    • 600W and above

Wanted to know what psu ppl who have those graphical issues have.

Mine's Antec truepower 400W

Enermax Galaxy 1KW

No graphic issues other than poor LOD and Texture loading due to the 8GB RAM issue.

400W nowadays seems awfully low...? I'd go with nothing less than a 550W at LEAST.

its absolutely something to do with memory, because everyone reports that if they enact the " shift - flush" command when the artifacts start the problem goes away until the memory fills up again. I think this game has a problem with flushing the memory on the fly as you play the game. It doesn't seem to get rid of stuff you aren't seeing anymore and just keeps everything in memory until it over flows. :(

I can`t remember how far back it was when I had a 400. lol 850 Quad Enermax here.

" just keeps everything in memory until it over flows"

So if true, we got a game that can`t flush memory on systems where many only HAVE 3 gig, and as well, the game doesn`t utilize more than 3 on peeps systems who have 8 gigs or more. Lovely. Lose lose scenario till BIS gets their Code Monkies in gear.

Edited by Shataan

buy larger psu capacity,your psu might be cann't support the overload when running arma 2 as it's graphically intensive,you are lucky your system didn't shutdown suddenly,it could be the graphic card or the processor,it seem your motherboard bios just lowering down the core clock of your processor because of not enough power or bad heatsink(overheating)?try to change the heatsink first.Turn off any antivirus,firewall,any other intense program when you are playing.Especially those who access the hardisk much,like torrent,downloading files,etc.Because arma 2 really active accessing the hardisk as already researched one of the fellow in forum.

i worry about my psu as well, since playing this game, since its cpu and gpu (and everything else) intensive, i worry that the psu cant actually handle all the components. i have a 460w psu, quad core, 4890 system. if it is adequate it is barely adequate but thats what came with my system. i dont think i am every buying a mainstream PC again (this one is HP) and i hope to build my own rig for my next system. i cant believe they would put such a wussy PSU on a modern system, i just hope upgrading it is easy.

So i run a gtx275, and i have a 650W antec truepower, thought it was a 400w but i was wrong... sorry for that.

Tested with a gtx285, same problem, now testing with a 750w corsair psu, but i do not hold much hope!

none of my parts are on the way out since it's all brand new.....

when buying psu i suggest you check the real voltage on the sticker,you need to make sure that the numeric digit it's real power throughput,and also check with review if you use good gfx for the 12v power,make sure the psu that you bought have stable 12v for gfx.I bought tagan 800 wat,tagan normally used for server psu,iam happy until now,stable 12v output.

750watt PSU made for SLI

Both GFX-sli outputs powering my single GTX275

Not so sure that the PSU is a problem myself.

so tried with the other psu; same problem so it's not the card, and not the psu: starting to think it's memory related

Antec True Power Trio TP3-550 ATX12V 550W Power Supply with Three 12V Rails

Haven't had any artifact issues since upgrading to Windows 7 64bit... yet.

with all the crashing ive been having im starting to worry my power supply isnt enough for my pc my powersupply is 650w i have:

core 2 quad which is now overclocked

285gtx 2gb

8gb ram 4 x 2gb ddr2

2 hdd 7200rpm

a noctua cooler with 2 fans

some sites said i only need 400w which is bs cuase my computer would turn itself off when i had a 450w and less stuff in it and i was playing a game and in the heat of it.

i did this test http://educations.newegg.com/tool/psucalc/index.html

and it says i need a 605W power supply which seems more reasonable dont know if they are saying 605 when it should be 550 or 650 or if its spot on that would only leaves me with

45w not taking into account my specifc core 2 quad or the devices i have pluged into my usb ports like my mouse reciever/charger and my trackir and sometimes another hdd which is self powered but who knows. anyway i cant find max power usages on my components from the manufacturers tonight ill have another look tommorow for individual components and add them up. excuse my english and sentence structure im buggered good night lol

Edited by Killakaze

Love the game

i think jack and varry are on the money and i can garentee if bis want this solution fixed they would be working their ass off on it right now must be a pretty intensive fix its taking awhile, hopfully it isnt something that is directly inherent in the way this thing was built

i dont know about everyone else but if bis told me whats going on id be alot more satistfied than bumping into walls expecting to find a solution myself and guessing what the deal is but i guess they have bigger fish to fry than a consumer like me sitting here talking about a game i paid a mere $100 for compared to their investment. anyways good luck bis for all our sake :) i like your work otherwise, i know you europeaners are old school and are making some technical masterpeice cant wait till its complete.

im off to kick some ass in arma II hope i dont crash to quick cyas

Best thing to do is ignore all the tests and the 80+ page sticky about graphical corruption to start your new thread discussing what has already been discussed and failing.

Cool.

I may start a new thread about graphical corruption and the way I think it has to be your card overheating then going through all the types of cooling systems everyone has only to find that has nothing to do with it. Still passes the time while BIS are hard at work fixing the issue.

Saying all that, if it helps get to the bottom of the issue then start as many threads as possible with all the different 'things' it could be. Tomorrow I will find out if my motherboard / RAM and GPU are anything to do with the issue as I upgrade to PCI-e at last and get an HD5850 along with some DDR3. The drives should also perform better as the current mobo is only SATA I and new is SATA II (drives are SATA II btw so been running slow transfer).

Edited by Thr0tt

my PSU Couger 750W =]

i have HD5870

and i7 920

I've posted this in general section, since i've received no answer thought i should post it here. Read on. :)

Hi guys, I need your help again.

My rig:

CPU: AMD 4600+ @2.4 GHz

MB: Gigabyte 590sli

GFX: nVidia GTX 275, 896 MB

PSU: Chieftek 550W

I recently bought above mentioned GFX card. I installed it and everything was good untill I started to get freezes (in ArmA2) for ~10 seconds or so,

and after that there were artifacts on the screen, every time different ones: sometimes I get almost completely white screen, the other time trees have odd colors etc.

So I thought there was something wrong with VRAM. Just to mention, I also bought new CPU (AMD 6000+ @ 3,1 GHz),

and thought that new CPU coupled with new GFX card is too much for the PSU. I removed it and installed the old CPU.

Same thing happened, artifacts and all.

Then I installed EVGA precision and downclocked (underclocked ?) GFX for about 5% (GPU, memory, shaders), crancked up fan speed to 60%,

and guess what, everything is working perfectly (GPU temp ~70C).

Note that I tried with 60% fan speed on default GFX speeds, and I still got artifacts, so my conclusion is it's not happening because of card overheating.

To make long story short:

Is my PSU too weak? If so, could you guys recommend one that would be able to support both 6000+ and GTX275 at the same time?

Thanks.

EDIT:

Damn, I'm on my brother's computer and posted under his account. My nick is Kernriver, sorry for any confusion I may've caused.

Edited by Kremec

I do have 550W LC Power and GTX260 + Phenomx2 and its not going very vell, im at the very edge of what my psu can handle and given yours is quite the same and you have more beefy card you are probbably over the limit. My game also freezes but not very often. I am getting a brand new corsair psu soon hopefully so ill be able to elaborate on that more.

Thanks for the feedback, PJ.

Just one more thing i forgot to mention.

On the GFX-card box it says:

POWER SUPPLY ADVISORY

Minimum power supply - 550W

Recommended power supply - non-SLI 630W or greater, SLI 680W or greater

TBH, I read that when I got the card, but foolishly neglected it.

Guess it's time for new PSU then. :D

Which one would you guys recommend: OCZ, Corsair, Thermaltake, Chieftec, Fortron...?

I'm thinking of getting one with atleast 700W, just to be on the safe side.

corsair 850W

If that was aimed at me, thanks for the hint, RogueBlade.

You do know that the hole in my wallet will be as wide as the Grand canyon after purchasing that? :D

But i guess it's worth it, no sense in playing ArmA 2 with quite decent GFX card underclocked. ;)

this poll is kind of misleading...it not only depends on how much power; but the brand of PSU. I've had cheap-o brand PSU's cause 90% of my problems; everything from artifacts and crashes to hardware failures (fried GPU's, RAM, and mobo's). Ever since I bought an OCZ 750w I've not had a single one.