Sign in to follow this  
Vipera

Can we get a grass in a distance?

Here is what we want to see (second image)

originalr.th.jpg

grassadded.th.jpg

distances.th.jpg

---------- Post added at 03:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:12 AM ----------

That would not solve the problem. The soldiers would still be visible if you weren't zoomed in enough to display the grass.

Grass in scope is more of a visual issue, while this grass layer system addresses a gameplay issue.

That is fine! It's difficult to see soldiers in a distance without scope. We just need grass for optics.

What about using the raised ground texture method but making it a semi-transparent texture so objects and units are still slightly concealed but not completely invisible?

I know I’ve been frustrated in ArmA when an AI unit I can’t see has killed me by firing through the ground texture. If it was semi transparent however, I would’ve been able to see his muzzle flashes, smoke and movement and been able to react to it.

You could also have it so over distance the texture becomes less and less transparent.

Edited by SafetyCatch

So how do you believe this should work?

Once you switch to optics you want a delay until the data has been loaded and rendered?

Or you want LOD and texture switching after being into optics.

Even more did you consider zoom in optics.

Even more why make it only for optics and not for zooming in general in that case

(which of course is even way harder to implement).

Only because you want it, it doesnt mean it is simple to do to work good enough on

the standard system.

the problem is not render distant grass in scope on single terrain slope ...

but imagine you using optics to view several hill slopes one in 500 one in 700 one in 1000 one 1200 and one in 1500 .... all at once within scope sight area ...

that's what create performance problems ...

but imagine you using optics to view several hill slopes one in 500 one in 700 one in 1000 one 1200 and one in 1500 .... all at once within scope sight area ...

But density of this grass shouldn't be as high as we have it in 10m from us and density will be lower with the distance. Make grass degradation. ;-)