Sign in to follow this  
smacker1

Is there a way...

...to make an AI (AT) soldier (under your command) fire on a damaged tank? I have him target the tank and open fire.. but he just stands there :confused: doesn't even pull out his AT weapon! Tank's engine is still running, and can fire, but can't move. The tanks driver, gunner and commander have bailed and been killed.

he has no reason to obey, since tank is unmanned. Though enemy CAN recapture it, unless enemy is AI, and ArmAs AI isnt that clever. :P

tell him to target it, and then 3-3 to issue "fire" command, worked for me in ArmA1 training.

problem is, mission success depends on destroying the tank. Target/fire didn't work. I tried that. I shot him in the head and took his AT gun! That worked.

It would be better if you asked him to gear somewhere, and then took the launcher from there. Shooting your own men intentionally when other options are there? ;)

I have the opposite problem my team will obliterate the tank when i want to stop it and steal it.

They generally just blow the crap out of it.

It would be better if you asked him to gear somewhere, and then took the launcher from there. Shooting your own men intentionally when other options are there? ;)

:butbut: I didn't know you could ask him to 'gear somewhere' lol.. my bad! I changed the mission to a distroy artillery now.. I'm carrying the explosives. :yay:

---------- Post added at 03:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:25 PM ----------

I have the opposite problem my team will obliterate the tank when i want to stop it and steal it.

They generally just blow the crap out of it.

Probably not if it's crew has bailed out.

Your right! Shooting wastes bullets. Ramming them to death with APC is much more cost-effective solution. ;)

Or forcing them to eject from fast moving car... Preferable having APC to follow your car. Sadly there no ragdoll physics or "vital organs popping out under thread"-animation :(

or use the new feature added in A2 and take over your AT guy, fire his weapon, then swap back to the squad leader?

True that. Teamswitch is your friend. "T" key I believe.

If this is in a mission you yourself have made in the editor, you will need to set any characters you wish to switch to, to 'playable'.

Or enter his inventory screen through the map view, group, gear. If that is how it works, I'm not sure. Not all missions utilize team switch, which came with Arma1 btw, not Arma2 :)

All good points! yes, it's my own mission, so I now know, I need to make any vital weapon carring soldiers 'playable'.

If it is a mission you plan to release, do several runs from several approaches and check that you can keep your AT guy at hold fire. If he is at fire at will, there is a big chance he will switch to that AT weapon and launch at soft targets. If there is "plenty" armor, I suggest something else than AT weapons. If armor threat is small, I suggest letting the squad leader (player) have access to an M136. Or an added player with Javelin, at least he can't fire at soft targets.

Stupid workarounds for problems that shouldn't be there.

You can also team switch by selecting the guy you want, ie F4, then in the quick menu there is an option to jump to them. Once finished you can select from the quick menu to return to squad leader.