Sign in to follow this  
DodgeME

Do u think of is da best game ever?

Sith, Ocarina of Time is my fave game. It is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo cool biggrin.gif My jaw dropped numerous time while playing that game. Three years later nothing comed even close.

OFP is one of the most enjoyable games I have ever played... Others I really like(d) are: Times of Lore, Death Knights of Krynn, Nitro, Elvira 1 & 2, Monkey Island 1, Lotus 3, Dune 1, Nethack, Doom, System Shock, Thief 1 & 2, Descent Freespace, Imperium Galactica 2, Hidden & Dangerous... I find most new games rather boring, they have nice gfx but not much more. Imo, OFP is the only _really_ good game that has been released for years.

I had high expectations for this game, largely based on player testimonials, and I think that's what's kicking my butt right now. I've been looking for a game to replace Rogue Spear for some time. It had to be realistic (no health bars and power-ups,) it had to be tactical, and it had to offer co-op play. More than that, I was looking for something that overcame the limitations in Rogue Spear, examples being the small maps that curtail sniper rifles and an AI enemy that only defends (largely negating weapons like the M-60.) Lastly, I was hoping to find a game that allowed the use of voice software, such as Roger Wilco. I feel that voice software is vital for co-op play, but Rogue Spear required a dedicated server for voice programs.

Does Operation Flashpoint offer these things? Yes and no. You get the huge islands to wander over. You get to engage and defend against the enemy. It could almost be a tactical gamer's wet dream, if it weren't for the bugs or poorly implemented features.

I only bought this game last week, but in that time, I've almost forced myself to play it. Even then, most of the time I've spent on the game has been trying to deal with it's compatability issues and bugs. For that matter, I'm still dealing with them, but I've gotten the game to a playable state where I can suffer through the remaining problems. Input lag, EAX, lock-ups, mouse pointers, AI issues, and poor GUI have all about done in any interest I have for the game. The thing that keeps me going the most is that a friend bought the game the same time I did, and I feel some responsability to continue playing in order to make his purchase worthwhile.

To put it mildly, I'm envious of those posting their love of this game. I wish it could have been the same for me. Based on my strong gaming background, I don't hold out much hope for a fix for the remaining problems this game has. It's been my experience that most games have finished patching after eight months, or I've long since shelved the game at the very least. Seeing as how I'm just now buying the game and it's been out for over eight months already, I can find little forgiveness for the problems I'm experiencing. Especially when I see FAQ's acknowledging that it's a known issue but one that never seems to have been properly addressed on the developer's end. Tweaks and work-arounds are meant for use until a patch is created, not as permanent measures.

OF was built on a new engine and we have to thank god is this good. It gives u what no other game can offer. I have no problems now and l find this game very nice.

No other game puts you and makes you feel like you are out there. Satchels sound pack really adds since some explosions(if ur speakers are good) can make your neighbours think a new war is out.

Blast the Ruskies, they must all die...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I had high expectations for this game, largely based on player testimonials, and I think that's what's kicking my butt right now. I've been looking for a game to replace Rogue Spear for some time. It had to be realistic (no health bars and power-ups,) it had to be tactical, and it had to offer co-op play. More than that, I was looking for something that overcame the limitations in Rogue Spear, examples being the small maps that curtail sniper rifles and an AI enemy that only defends (largely negating weapons like the M-60.) Lastly, I was hoping to find a game that allowed the use of voice software, such as Roger Wilco. I feel that voice software is vital for co-op play, but Rogue Spear required a dedicated server for voice programs.

Does Operation Flashpoint offer these things? Yes and no. You get the huge islands to wander over. You get to engage and defend against the enemy. It could almost be a tactical gamer's wet dream, if it weren't for the bugs or poorly implemented features.

I only bought this game last week, but in that time, I've almost forced myself to play it. Even then, most of the time I've spent on the game has been trying to deal with it's compatability issues and bugs. For that matter, I'm still dealing with them, but I've gotten the game to a playable state where I can suffer through the remaining problems. Input lag, EAX, lock-ups, mouse pointers, AI issues, and poor GUI have all about done in any interest I have for the game. The thing that keeps me going the most is that a friend bought the game the same time I did, and I feel some responsability to continue playing in order to make his purchase worthwhile.

To put it mildly, I'm envious of those posting their love of this game. I wish it could have been the same for me. Based on my strong gaming background, I don't hold out much hope for a fix for the remaining problems this game has. It's been my experience that most games have finished patching after eight months, or I've long since shelved the game at the very least. Seeing as how I'm just now buying the game and it's been out for over eight months already, I can find little forgiveness for the problems I'm experiencing. Especially when I see FAQ's acknowledging that it's a known issue but one that never seems to have been properly addressed on the developer's end. Tweaks and work-arounds are meant for use until a patch is created, not as permanent measures. <span id='postcolor'>

Do you work for PC gamer or something? biggrin.gif

I have to say that OFP is the best game I have ever owned. I really got my moneys worth. I was giddy as hell when my OFP DVD case thing arrived. (I wanted to hug the Fed Ex man!wink.gif I couldn't wait to open the box, I had ben drooling over the demo for months and now I was reaching the breaking point.

I installed it and I don't think I left my house for about 2 weeks. I was having an incredible amount of fun. I agree that the graphics are not at all attractive and there are some issues but once you see past them, you begin to see the game's inner beauty.

Best $40.00 I ever spent! If you don't own it go and buy it.

OFP graphic is not bad. It's good. The only thing that's ugly in OFP are the trees. They look great from the distance (not so far distance though. They look great if you're just 5m away from them), but they look like shit if you're standing right next to them. Other graphic in OFP is just good (mornings are very beautiful. Sky is nice, great light effects, great vehicle models, everything). Just don't get too close to those trees and everything will be just fine. wink.gif

Anyways, i'm looking forrowd for OFP: Resistance. Those trees there are great.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DodgeME @ Mar. 29 2002,19:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You can spend $40 for something better!!!  tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

For what. For a hooker. I prefer OFP. U can't buy a lot of thing for $40. tounge.gif

Shame on you to consider that!!!

You can save a life with those cash. Just think about it.

If the currently hardly existing simulation part of OFP (especially vehicles) would be worked out more detailed and accurate, the netcode would be as capable as Quake or UT, and if the graphics would be brought to nowadays state of the art standard........then it probably would be the best game ever for me..... till the next "best game of all times" arrives, which i forsee to be SWAT Urban Assault, Rainbow6 Raven Shield and Falcon 5 for those genres interesting me.

Until then OFP is the best cross-genre game, by combining tactical approach, Arcade Action, very slight simulation approach, role playing.

It neither is the best action game, the best simulation game, best tactical game, it´s just the combination of a little bit of everything. What i like most about OFP is the virtually unrestricted and freely roamable area and recreation of terrain, it´s something very essential for a wargame imho and there OFP does a very good job compared to other titles.

Although i personally find that jet aircraft are not suited for OFP.

yes without a doubt.

i remeber when i first saw a 3d engine in action ( think it was Geoff Crammonds F1GP ) i imagined a game where you could run around get in tanks n stuff in massive maps. so thanks go out to bis for making it.

btw F1GP 4 is out in june, roll on. smile.gif

OF has nice graphics. With resistance and the new hi-res textures, along with those amazing trees will make it look even better. smile.gif

I vote for: are you stupid?

Are you stupid? Of course it is!

Myth 2 was not my cup of tea. Those stupid dwarfs always blasted all my footmen away. Then they would get slaughtered and I was left with archers for the rest of the mission. However I vaguley remember the mod WWII: Titans for the game and really enjoying it.

OFP is really a great game. It's realistic, great enviroment and sounds, excelent plot of the game, etc....(there is lots of stuff to say about it) biggrin.gif Just for example even if we compare to let's say CS (Counter-Strike) or Global Ops, in this game u can't jump like mad from one side to another, cos it wouldn't be real then. Later guys!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DodgeME @ Mar. 30 2002,13:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Shame on you to consider that!!!

You can save a life with those cash. Just think about it.<span id='postcolor'>

Hmmm......

That shows how different we are

I was actually telling people to rob banks and houses just to get money to buy OFP tounge.gif