Sign in to follow this  
JuggernautOfWar

Chernarus Pauses

I can play Utes just fine and get 30-40 FPS average with maxed out graphics and AA on medium. However whenever I go to Chernarus, even if the island is only populated with myself, I get these little freezes every 2 minutes or so that last a few seconds. My frames are otherwise fairly satisfactory. I feel like this is a CPU limitation as that's my bottleneck in my computer. Would this be my CPU or what? Any ideas what I can do to rectify this issue? Thanks...

Are you using any mods or a beta patch?

Are you using any switchs to load the game (-winxp, etc)?

What's your computer specs?

The freezing usually happens when CPU usage reaches 100%, although I've only experienced it myself with lots of mods loaded while using a beta patch.

Are you using any mods or a beta patch?

Are you using any switchs to load the game (-winxp, etc)?

What's your computer specs?

The freezing usually happens when CPU usage reaches 100%, although I've only experienced it myself with lots of mods loaded while using a beta patch.

I am currently running the normal 1/04 WITH mods, though no beta. The first thing I tried was running the game from my normal Steam shortcut so no mods were loaded. Sure enough its still an issue even then.

This happens all the time, MP, SP, Editor, anything.

The only time I get similar pauses is when I run the game without shutting down my background programs. Running System monitor shows spikes in CPU activity during these pauses, so chances are there's something running that causes the CPU to do that. Try something like Game Booster that will shut down all unnecessary background progs with one click. Works for me anyways

I actually do run GameBooster every time I start any game. It's probably Steam :rollseyes:. Could this be caused by having Xfire running in the background? I never do shut that off. hmm...

hmmm, then IDK. Guess it could be a steam or xfire issue (don't use either myself). When I play online I run Gamebooster and the only background 'extras' I run are teamspeak and FRAPS...game runs smooth as butter

hmmm, then IDK. Guess it could be a steam or xfire issue (don't use either myself). When I play online I run Gamebooster and the only background 'extras' I run are teamspeak and FRAPS...game runs smooth as butter

Our system is very similar, the only thing I can think of that would effect this is CPU. I've got -0.4GHz compared to yours.

I've tried some other things. If I run CPU heavy apps in the background (including Perfmon/performance monitor, it uses 20% cpu) then it starts freezing. Each time it peaks at 100% usage then freezes.

Hey Jugg: Have you defragged the HDD? Not with windows but something like "Ultimate Defrag".

http://www.disktrix.com/

Its VERY good. You can specify to put ARMA folder on the outer edge of the disk (faster part)

The only time I get similar pauses is when I run the game without shutting down my background programs. Running System monitor shows spikes in CPU activity during these pauses, so chances are there's something running that causes the CPU to do that. Try something like Game Booster that will shut down all unnecessary background progs with one click. Works for me anyways

Is this gamebooster have downside ? like changes the windows registry or system setting or some that may make our windows got error or trouble ?

No offence but I heard that lot of freeware actually are a spyware ; malware or adware , that's why Im still afraid to use this gamebooster...:(

Everyone who had try this gamebooster please help me n share ur experience wit this gamebooster :o

I really appreciate ur help :)

Edited by Special_Air_Service

Is this gamebooster have downside ? like changes the windows registry or system setting or some that may make our windows got error or trouble ?

No offence but I heard that lot of freeware actually are a spyware ; malware or adware , that's why Im still afraid to use this gamebooster...:(

Everyone who had try this gamebooster please help me n share ur experience wit this gamebooster :o

No gamebooster is made by a trusted software developer, don't worry.

---------- Post added at 10:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 AM ----------

Hey Jugg: Have you defragged the HDD? Not with windows but something like "Ultimate Defrag".

http://www.disktrix.com/

Its VERY good. You can specify to put ARMA folder on the outer edge of the disk (faster part)

Thank you for that! That may come is handy! No I haven't defragged in quite some time, which is rare for me. Does this defragger cost money?

EDIT: It seems the Ultimate Defrag isn't yet released. EDIT2: Nevermind, that's the 2009 version.

Edited by JuggernautOfWar

nope, it's legit. no spyware, no ads, no crap. Just DL it from the links on their official site just to be sure...

Thank you for that! That may come is handy! No I haven't defragged in quite some time, which is rare for me. Does this defragger cost money?

EDIT: It seems the Ultimate Defrag isn't yet released. EDIT2: Nevermind, that's the 2009 version.

Ah, this may also be the problem. I definitely gained a good performance boost when I defragged mine. I also use Ultimate Defrag (it is free), and tagged the whole Arma2 directory for 'performance'. This will put all the files on the outer most part of your HDD, where the seek times are fastest.

Edited by No Use For A Name

[...] and tagged the whole Arma2 directory for 'performance'. This will put all the files on the outer most part of your HDD, where the seek times are fastest.

How do I do this? Thanks.

How do I do this? Thanks.

I think if you go under Tools->Options->General theres a High performance "Part" here you can select Custom and then press the Select Files... button. Here you can select the game folder!