Sign in to follow this  
Alex72

Carrying - too slow

I would really like to see the carrying animation to be faster. Not the pick up, but the moving. I know first hand that you move faster since ive done this IRL. Not in combat but for training, and i can imagine when you really are in a combat situation that you would "hussle" faster. Im thinking twice the speed maybe from how it is in ARMA2 now. IRL you take short but fast steps. Definatelly faster than in the game. Ofcourse adding a lot of fatigue (loss of stamina) should apply so if you move longer distances you will be very inaccurate when dropping your mate during some time. But at least you get him and yourself out of harms way fast. Remember that we are playing well trained soldiers.

So the problem with this awesome feature is that it first takes a long time to get someone up (good anim as is IMO), but then you move slightly faster than dragging and that just makes it kinda obsolete. To take that time to get someone up risking getting shot just to move slightly faster than dragging someone makes most of us not use it. I really like the feature, but it needs to be faster to be useful. IMO.

I was going to add this to the 1.05 suggestion, but i know BIS got their hands full so im just hoping for this change down the road (maybe ACE2?). At least me personally want this because it is too slow according to my own personal experience.

What do you guys think?

Alex

If the first few paces (15?) were sped up and then dropped down to the present level,that would be more realistic.

One of the best actions to be implemented in a long while, IMHO.

yah the first few steps should definitely be faster; or maybe make it so you can only carry for 20-30 m before your guy "collapses" and you put down the wounded soldier?

Intersting. I dont think i like that you drop the guy. During combat you must be so hyped (scared and full of adrenaline) that you could move a bit more than normal, but the first 10-20 meters being maximum speed (twice as fast as now maybe) and then gradually moving slower plus getting heavy stamina loss would be a great solution.

We have to make it real plus good for gameplay. I think now there is no use for the carrying as it is only slighter faster than dragging, but takes a long while to get the unit on your shoulders.

Move up to unit, scroll & click action DRAG, scroll & click action CARRY, animation starts playing... By this time you have dragged the guy behind cover. So to balance it to make it useful the movement when carrying needs to be faster - with penalties ofcourse like heavy stamina loss and gradually slower.

Hoping for this as i would love to see it more on the battlefield.

EDIT: Thinking about it - yes dropping the guy could/should happen if you move too far. Not a bad idea actually.

There is also little point in moving someone altogether, because most of the time when you can actually reach someone without getting shot yourself you can also treat him without getting shot. Even in the rare occasion you do can reach him but the enemy that shot him is still there, you only need to drag him like 2m backwards, right to the spot he was at right before he moved forward and got shot. Of course that has more to do with the AI than the carrying system.

Here's what I think: How fast can you run carrying 60lbs + 260 lbs? I think that it's fine the way it is. In order to introduce more of a difference, perhaps they should make the dragging anim slower.

Intersting. I dont think i like that you drop the guy. During combat you must be so hyped (scared and full of adrenaline) that you could move a bit more than normal, but the first 10-20 meters being maximum speed (twice as fast as now maybe) and then gradually moving slower plus getting heavy stamina loss would be a great solution.

We have to make it real plus good for gameplay. I think now there is no use for the carrying as it is only slighter faster than dragging, but takes a long while to get the unit on your shoulders.

Move up to unit, scroll & click action DRAG, scroll & click action CARRY, animation starts playing... By this time you have dragged the guy behind cover. So to balance it to make it useful the movement when carrying needs to be faster - with penalties ofcourse like heavy stamina loss and gradually slower.

Hoping for this as i would love to see it more on the battlefield.

EDIT: Thinking about it - yes dropping the guy could/should happen if you move too far. Not a bad idea actually.

I was thinking about it some more and thought that maybe they keep the current speed; but also be able to use the sprint button while carrying (not as fast as normal sprint obviously). Then if you sprint 20-25 meters you drop the guy; but not drop him if you're just carrying at normal speed.

Agreed, carrying ingame is abysmally too slow. We should be able to dio it at least at normal walk speed. At least then you`d feel you had some hope of getting to cover. As it is now, I don`t even bother. lol The actual pick up time is awesome tho.

I was thinking about it some more and thought that maybe they keep the current speed; but also be able to use the sprint button while carrying (not as fast as normal sprint obviously). Then if you sprint 20-25 meters you drop the guy; but not drop him if you're just carrying at normal speed.

Yeah that sounds valid to me. Easier than starting to mock around too much perhaps.

But the carrying feels a bit "unused" to me because of the long time to get someone up and then still move very slow.

Maybe well see some upgrade through BIS or addons.

Alex