Sign in to follow this  
halleyelec

Eve Online - I want it, but just a bit wary.....

Does anyone have this game?? If so, what do you think about it?

It's basically due to it being the 25th Anniversary of Brabens Elite and it made me wonder if it was like that.

I've always played the Frontier games, Privateer and Freelancer so wondered is it really worth the money every month.

Your views are very much appreciated :)

Edited by halleyelec

If you are not sure, you can try the 14 day trial. Its free and it gives you enough time to see if it is what you want.

For me Eve is like Frontier 2.0. Its just like frontier but much better!!

EVE Online isn't for everyone, but like Gloon said, there's always the 14 day free trial. If that gets you hooked, I'd recommend starting off paying on a monthly basis. :)

I needed 4 trials to like the game but didn't decide to buy it. I think it isn't worth 13 Euros per month when half of your time is spend while cruising around with autopilot.

Yeah I could download the trial. But its definately the subscription that is putting me off because at best, i'm only "allowed" roughly 6 hours a week on here without the lady-missus having a moan!

I played on europe server once and it is in fact very good mmo rpg, you dont need to raise level like other games, all you need to do is to spend some time to increase skill level(which would still gaining when you are off line) only problem is the price, if the price is less i am surely to play on europe server, it would take me painful lot of time to complete class 4 mission inorder to get enought ISK to brought a moth of play time and i am not sure i am willing to spend that much time on it, thats why i head on to china server which eventhrough have much less people(4000 to 5000 at peak, which is in fact much more forgiving as there is much less clan and player created faction and more importantly, much cheaper)

...thats why i head on to china server which eventhrough have much less people(4000 to 5000 at peak, which is in fact much more forgiving as there is much less clan and player created faction and more importantly, much cheaper)

I'm confused? Are the servers in China 'unofficial' and therefore free? Is there more security risk playing in Chinese servers, given that a lot of viruses, malware and fraud originate from China at the moment?

I'm confused? Are the servers in China 'unofficial' and therefore free? Is there more security risk playing in Chinese servers, given that a lot of viruses, malware and fraud originate from China at the moment?

It is offical licensed server(like many other on-line games like WOW), and you still have to pay monthly, only much cheaper, update much slower, have fewer player, and most importently, pay in RMB and interface translated into chiness(which means only chinese will be able to play on them), and no, you wont get viruses if you only play the game itself.

Edited by 4 IN 1

i keep thinking i would like this as it seems like the nearest thing to elite. But you dont actually fly in spaceship do you its all pointy clicky ( so i haven't bothered looking). I need to be IN the space ship!!!

I really want a frontier style multi player game where you can land on planets etc.

(perhaps we could mod arma2 to be like this somehow :-)

Evochron Legends an indie game that allows multiplay and landing on planets seamlessly, something rare since FE2/FFE, i read that it has newtonian physics.

Freelancer got a huge success in multiplayer, way more arcade controls (i mean no newtonian physics at all), and allow semi-landing on planet (you just enter an orbital gate and you are teleported in a town).

Very intresting game, unfortunately it's as boring as Braben himself.

It's a chronic timesink. The kind of game you play in the advert breaks of your film or between chapters of your book.

It's a real time game but it may as well not be. Best played in the background, while you have something else to do.

Really good game but it takes hours if not days to do almost nothing at all.

I've spent entire nights rendevousing with an enormous fleet to fly out to meet an enemy fleet that was not there.

Really. 6 hours of doing nothing. Fly to jumpgate pheyongyongyong!!! Fly to next jumpgate pheyyongyongyong!!!.

Just one long sequence of loading screens followed by a trade or something, then back to the lomg sequences of loading screens.

On the plus side you can still advance your character without actually playing. Which given the nature of the gameplay is a good thing.

Definitely mind candy this game, but ultimately only for a very few people with a lot of patience and little intrest in action gameplay.

I didn't regret my subscription. After paying hundreds a month to host a Ghost Recon 32 player server, £10 to play on a 30,000 player server was a bargain. I put the game down after a weekly patch made the game crash every 45 minutes. I swore I'd return to the game when they fixed it, but I never did.

Also check out Jumpgate Evolution, soon to be released Elite style MMo.

This one will probably be closer to Freelancer and Elite etc. You will get to fly the ship rather than just assign it waypoints with your mouse.

Edited by Baff1

i would love to play that, Frontier was such a good game! however, I am afraid I would get hooked on it like all these WOW guys

Ah they all sound like good games, I've already got Freelancer and completed it, the only drawback was the lack of multiplayer which is now an option, luckily.

I've installed the trial of EVE and we'll see.

I too get very hooked on these games and I can see myself not moving for days!

Evochron Legends an indie game that allows multiplay and landing on planets seamlessly, something rare since FE2/FFE, i read that it has newtonian physics.

I play Evochron Legends, and it is a great game! It does have newtonian physics, so if you turn off a system called IDS (intertial dampening system?) the ship will continue on its previous trajectory no matter the direction the ship is facing. I have never played a game in this genre before, but EL has me hooked. I would suggest it to anyone interested in the genre.

-Student Pilot

I was hooked on EVE for a little while. Kind of got bored of it though and then wasted about 20 days of my subscription fee not playing. I eventually felt no sense of achievement with it. But, that's just me.

It is kind of boring if you are not in clans or only do mission and never head to place under 0.5

to be honest what i do most of the time in china server is to stuck inside space station and just chating

Was in a coorporation of pirates.

I would give it a second chance though.

Naughty naughty!

I've bought EVE this morning. For the total sum of 4 squidders. Thats equal to 4 great british pounds.....not so great if you're going on your hols and changing to the euro!!! lol

I just have to be 'patient' and wait for it to arrive now!

I also downloaded Evochron Legend. It didn't work at first because it has a dislike to Kaspersky Anti-Virus......but now thats sorted I have a wonderful 89 minutes to get use to the controls.......seems good so far though!

Well, technically it was £4.49 and you only get 21 days trial.

it was the Special Edition, the latest release. So what I'm hoping is that I can do the free trial from the website, then activate the voucher in my game!! woo!

The free trial lasts only until some certain level... I was really curious about the new ship I bought last time and then the system said I needed that and that skill. I tried learning it but the system sent me some cool message again: only available in the full version. :(

I tried that evochron legends looks really good but a bit crashy!!! Graphics are a bit off but I love the gameplay and the atmospheric landings etc.

The free trial lasts only until some certain level... I was really curious about the new ship I bought last time and then the system said I needed that and that skill. I tried learning it but the system sent me some cool message again: only available in the full version. :(

some skills need full pay account(just like a shareware), those skill will have the only available in the full version line stated in the skill book info

Edited by 4 IN 1